Grizzly Kit paint advice.

salukulady

Reaction score
Building a couple beater ukes here. Want to paint one bright orange. What kind of sanding filler and spray paint should I use? And what kind of varnish works best on the non painted parts? Thank you.

the kits are mahogany? If so, for painted parts probably don't need a filler for the pores since paint is so much thicker than varnish/oil finishes. Just put down a light coat, let dry 24 hours and then lightly sand with a sanding block then put on another coat. Depending on the paint you use you may want to put a clear coat on top of it to protect it. For the unpainted parts I like True Oil but you will have to use a pore filler on mahogany (behlens grain filler) or the "true oil wet sand" method. There is a discussion going on about that on this forum.

the kits are mahogany? If so, for painted parts probably don't need a filler for the pores since paint is so much thicker than varnish/oil finishes. Just put down a light coat, let dry 24 hours and then lightly sand with a sanding block then put on another coat. Depending on the paint you use you may want to put a clear coat on top of it to protect it. For the unpainted parts I like True Oil but you will have to use a pore filler on mahogany (behlens grain filler) or the "true oil wet sand" method. There is a discussion going on about that on this forum.
Thank you.

Any advice on what type of paint I should use? The kits say Mahogany, but for $20, who knows.

This drywall compound method worked on my Grizzly kit for grain filling. Since you are painting it, you won't have to add dye to the compound.

I didn't get a picture of my finished Grizzly but here is what I learned after one Grizzly kit;

1. When you are satisfied with your sanding job, that means you are halfway done with sanding.
2. After the grain filling feels smooth to you, do it again.
3. If the directions on your spray paint say to hold the can 8 to 10 inches away from the surface, start by holding it 2 feet away, them move in.
4. No you didn't get all the glue wiped out of that joint.

Last edited:
I would use nitrocellulose lacquer. It is for stringed instruments. For whatever color you want just add color pigment which you can buy all that from stewmac.com, or I'm sure someone else on UU has a cheaper place to buy both.

Boys.....these are $20 beater ukes. I don't want to get all fancy. I understand about light coat and sanding. What kind of paint that I can buy off the shelf would work, and what can I varnish the neck with. Thank you.

Boys.....these are $20 beater ukes. I don't want to get all fancy. I understand about light coat and sanding. What kind of paint that I can buy off the shelf would work, and what can I varnish the neck with. Thank you.

I know, I know but the whole process is sort of addictive-you can't stop once you get started. I don't have enough experience to give you advice on paint. You might ask this guy what he ended up using.
Painting the Grizzly Uke kit

As a newbie uke finisher, my advice about spray painting still stands. I followed the directions on the can and ended up with drips which I had to sand out. Start your spraying further away than the directions advise and move in.

I know it is a $20.00 beater but you want people to look at it and say "Wow you only paid $20.00 for that?" instead of "Luckily you only paid $20.00 for it!"

Last edited:
I know, I know but the whole process is sort of addictive-you can't stop once you get started. I don't have enough experience to give you advice on paint. You might ask this guy what he ended up using.
Painting the Grizzly Uke kit

As a newbie uke finisher, my advice about spray painting still stands. I followed the directions on the can and ended up with drips which I had to sand out. Start your spraying further away than the directions advise and move in.

I know it is a $20.00 beater but you want people to look at it and say "Wow you only paid $20.00 for that?" instead of "Luckily you only paid $20.00 for it!"
he he he, I know Doug and thank you. Every project is a masterpiece.

Top Bottom