Making a multi-window multitrack video (How-to)

sebi

Reaction score
First of all, I would like to express my deepest gratitude for all comments and everyone’s support on my Youtube videos. Since many people asked me how I make my videos, I thought it would be good to have a short tutorial that points out the most important steps.

What do I use?
Hardware: MacBook Pro 15″, M-Audio MobilePre USB, EV Cardinal mic, Groove Tube The Brick
Software: GarageBand, iMovie, Final Cut Express 4

Part A
Step 1: After deciding and practicing the different parts of the song you will be recording, start GarageBand and create a new music project.
Step 2: Once you have set everything ready for recording, open iMovie and start the webcam (iMovie will ask you to name the iMovie-event). Now, start filming the first video track and go to GarageBand to start recording the audio track for the video track you are just filming right now.
Step 3: Repeat Step 2 for every additional track — Again: Record audio on GarageBand, film video on iMovie.
Step 4: Mix your song (audio) on GarageBand.

Part B
Step 5: Start Final Cut Express 4, make a new project, and save it with a name of your choice.
Step 6: Import all video files you want to use for your video from your iMovie event. Also import the GarageBand audio file.
Step 7: Drag the GarageBand file into the audio track and lock it.
Step 8: Drag the first iMovie video file into video track 2 and sync it to the GarageBand file. Just play both tracks and move the video file until it is in sync with the GarageBand mix down. Once the first video is in sync lock it and mute its audio.
Step 9: Repeat Step 8 until all videos are in sync.
Step 10: Unlock all video tracks, size and crop all individual tracks (in Final Cut Express 4: double-click the track, go to Motion, and size and crop), and position them the way you want.
Step 11: Render the whole video and export it. Your video is ready for Youtube!

And this is my outcome:

Thanks for sharing this stuff. Your mic setup sounds mucho tasty so I wondered what you used.

Thanks for posting that Sebi, I'm in the process of trying to do just what you've done but I haven't got a Mac just an ipad so I'm looking for a cheap video editer for pc, and suggestions?

Nice work. I am just looking into microphones now, so your post was quite timely and useful - thanks!

Top Bottom