a question of music theory-ish nature

binky

Reaction score
as a treat for myself this holiday, i will try to figure out the solo piano part of Dream a little dream of me by the mamas and the papas.

I believe the chords being strummed during the solo piano part are
C(0003)
B7(2322)
j(2323) <----can anybody tell me what chord is this?
G7, C, B7, A7, A7, F, Fm, C, G(0332) <--- what G flavor is this chord?
G7, C

now, when picking out the notes of the solo part, should I use the notes of the chord being played or should I stick to the key of the song? I also can't figure out the key of the song because my music theory knowledge in terms of scales is limited to only major scales..

I am not asking for tabs. i think i'd be way happier if i figure it out by myself and also as a stepping stone to becoming a virtuoso (in my dreams!)

any advice/help would be very much appreciated! Seasons greetings everyone! :)

2323 is a C diminished in this case.

The song is in the key of C.

0332 is G augmented.

I find it easiest to hold the chord and find the melody within the chord shape. So yes, use the notes of the chord, stick to the key of the song except when the chord jumps out of the key (the B7 & A7 in your example above).

The song is in the key of C. It doesnt really matter for you, but its a little more interesting than that. The song borrows chords from other related keys, but in the end, all related back to C.
The chorus is mostly in the key of A major.

Your J chord is actually a D# diminished 7 chord.

This song really a blues song, which kind of has a music theory of its own. I cant really help you further than this because I'm only classically trained in theory.

But good luck!

Top Bottom