Vintage Banjo Uke(s)

pdxuke

Reaction score
Hi Friends:

I've gotten more and more interested in vintage ukes lately, and I know I'll want a banjo uke someday. I'd like it to be an old one-- and a soprano.

I know that Gibson and I think Gretsch made them.

Would those of you who own/know about/are interested in vintage banjo ukes comment on what I should be looking for?

Brands?
Condition traps to avoid?
Anything else of interest.

My humble thanks to all! :bowdown:

I have two banjo ukes. A Stromberg Voisinet and what I think is a Gretsch. The Gretsch I had to restore myself. It was coated with Nicotine and age. I've put new heads on both ukes and it is really much easier than you would think. On the Gretsch I soaked all the metal parts in Vinegar ,that got rid of the nicotine or whatever it was. Then I buffed all the parts with Simichrome metal polish. It looks and plays great. I can't tell you what a good price is, I think I paid forty bucks plus shipping for mine on Ebay.

My Gibson UB-2 was a little more than $40, but was/is in great shape for an 80+ year old instrument.
I replaced the head which as above is that that difficult.
I think the biggest thing with a vintage is are all the parts there?
Of course the neck needs to be straight and playable as well.

I have two banjo ukes. A Stromberg Voisinet and what I think is a Gretsch. The Gretsch I had to restore myself. It was coated with Nicotine and age. I've put new heads on both ukes and it is really much easier than you would think. On the Gretsch I soaked all the metal parts in Vinegar ,that got rid of the nicotine or whatever it was. Then I buffed all the parts with Simichrome metal polish. It looks and plays great. I can't tell you what a good price is, I think I paid forty bucks plus shipping for mine on Ebay.

I had to do the same thing to my S.S. Stewart banjo. My luthier friend suggested red wine vinegar with a couple drops of dish washing liquid in it. I used Nevr-Dull to polish. Make sure to wipe off the residue with a clean cloth. It leaves a protective coating on the metal.
I cheated on the head. I used a Fyber-skin ready made.
Bill

I'm a huge fan of vintage banjo ukes and have five.

What to look for? All metal parts present and in good shape has been mentioned, as has the neck, but I can't stress either enough. Also - for cleaning metal, instead of using a cloth to polish, use 0001 steel wool. Works much better and can also be used to flatten imperfections in a skin head.

You want to also make sure that the laminate on the pot is intact and not cracked. This won't effect playability, but it sure signals that is wasn't well taken care of. It can be fixed, though won't ever look quite right.

Finally, you want to make sure that the pot has no structural issues. Often, models with thin pots, like the Stella or Oscar Schmitt, can go out of circular over time and under normal pressure (they honestly weren't top quality ukes, so no surprises there). Thicker pot models can sometimes be separating out of sight under the head or resonator. You want to make sure that's not happening - and a seller can take the resonator off to make sure that end is ok, though often, with eBay, I don't think sellers even know that heads can come off and go back together quick as a wink and they aren't willing to try it. That's something to ask the seller about, but definitely check on when you get it.

Lastly, keep in mind that there are roughly three levels of vintage banjo uke out there - cheapies - mid-level - and professional grade. Every flavor of Gretsch is a cheapie, every flavor of Gibson except the UB-1 - is a professional.

If you go with a cheapie - cost between $50 and $200 in very good to excellent condition - you'll want to make sure you have good wood and all the metal in place. This is because issues that would take you to a luthier's bench will cost more than the uke is worth in today's dollar. Cleaning, setting a head, polishing, even replacing tuners, you can do that at home for very little money, but a luthier doing any of these tasks will set you back.

Midrange ukes - Strombergs with resonators, all types of midrange and high-end Langes, Brunos, Dallas C&D, top line Slingerlands and J.R. Stewarts, Weymans, Lyon and Healy Washburn, Bacons and similar are all (with the exception of Bacon) priced $200-$750 these days. These are worth laying out money for fixing if you see issues like separation on the resonator, cracked or disconnected dowel, and fretboard wear, cracks or missing frets. Replacing missing tuners, head replacement, set-up - many of these jobs can be done by you and should be. They're fun to do!

Gibson, Ludwig, and Abbot are top of the line - prices $600 to 3K+, and in restorable shape are worth acquiring as the money you put into them, you will likely eventually get back in value. The only exception on pricing is the UB-2, which I've seen go for between $300 in good condition and $700 in excellent cond. UB-2 could be your best value among these top of the line instruments. Without the mother of pearl decoration or sunburst finish, they are less sought after by collectors, but sound exactly the same as a UB-3. I was looking for one of these when I found my Ludwig.

All vintage banjo ukes are sopranos. No one set out to make 'concert' or 'tenor' instruments and the standard fret board is 15-17 frets at this time, even on the smallest cheapie. Longer necks, 19+ frets, were made by Lyon and Healy, Lange, and Weyman most commonly. These were not called concert instruments, but rather were called 'longscale' ukes in the company catalogs. Creating different flavors of banjo uke is a relatively new development - I think Gold Tone was the first to do this, and they did it within the last decade. It was common in the 20s and 30s to tune tenor banjos in Chicago tuning - the same as a baritone uke - but that's about it.

Probably more than you wanted to hear from me, but I'm trying to look busy today. :D

Last edited:
Hard to add to what John said, and I admittedly have no where near his expertise on these little things, but I do own a really great Slingerland May-Bell Banjo Uke. I am going to assume she was a cheapie back in the 20's, but cheapie then and cheapie now are two entirely different things. I payed under $200 for it, and of course had to learn how to resurface a fretboard and tune a tone head, but those are the things that keep me off the streets. Fact is she is 70 years old and plays great now, with limited tweaks done by a rank amateur (with some help from the underground).
I mention these specifically because they seem to be the most common real instruments out there (I see the thousands you see without brackets to adjust the head as toys, because you will adjust the head- I have done so continually when the weather changes). Most common means lower dollar, but they still play great. May-Bells are made in two sizes, model 24 (which I have) which has an eight inch pot, and model 20 and 18, both having a 7" pot. These models are the same as the S.S.Stewart Collegian and-argh, I forget the other one. In any event, they pop up at ebay and Elderly quite a bit and are an outstanding Uke for the money...and tons of fun

I couldn't agree more with Dave - Slingerland MayBells and the instruments they made for other companies (S.S. Stewart, Victory, Cleartone, and others) are great value for the money. I think that the "Ukulele Man" in the UK rates Slingerland Model 20/18/69, and the Dallas A and B models as the best of the cheapies, while Stromberg-Voisinet, J.R. Stewart and Dallas C and D models as the best of the fairly cheap. http://www.theukuleleman.com/index-page3.html

He also explains why the Gibson, Abbott and Ludwig are regarded as the top three: http://www.theukuleleman.com/index-page61.html

This is all very much a matter of personal preference, but I bought my Slingerlands, Strombergs and Ludwig without having read Uke Man's (John's) recommendations, so that's a good sign that its an opinion that can be independently reached!

I will hopefully sometime be able to get an Abbott or Ludwig copy (Markendale, Cartwright or Ron Beddoes).

I have a GH&S Melody Junior in good condition, It appears to had work done on the fretboard. Fret wires appear like new but the inlay dots appear to be plastic, and one is not set flat. The neck and resonator are in good condition, couple scratches here and there. Appears to be a check in the varnish/lacquer on the resonator. The only corrosion is on the tuner washers. six bracket. new sim.skin head. Clearly an inexpensive instrument. Anybody have a notion as to value range?

I have tried a couple of scale lengths for setting the bridge, between 13" and 13-5/8". The intonation isn't too bad but I'm not happy. I saw some bangoleles with a 12" scale length. Does anybody have some recommendations as to the proper scale length for this instrument?

I have a GH&S Melody Junior in good condition, It appears to had work done on the fretboard. Fret wires appear like new but the inlay dots appear to be plastic, and one is not set flat. The neck and resonator are in good condition, couple scratches here and there. Appears to be a check in the varnish/lacquer on the resonator. The only corrosion is on the tuner washers. six bracket. new sim.skin head. Clearly an inexpensive instrument. Anybody have a notion as to value range?

I have tried a couple of scale lengths for setting the bridge, between 13" and 13-5/8". The intonation isn't too bad but I'm not happy. I saw some bangoleles with a 12" scale length. Does anybody have some recommendations as to the proper scale length for this instrument?

Hi,
Well it should be exactly the same as any banjo uke. That is, twice the distance of the nut to the twelfth fret. So measure from the nut to the centre of the twelfth fret, then double it and that's your starting point for the centre of the bridge.

Top Bottom