Low G to go with my fluorocarbon Martin strings

Paul Cote

Reaction score
Well I did notice you can buy aquilas with a low g but the shipping costs more than a set of Martin fluorocarbons. Anyways I ordered some Martin Tenor Fluorocarbons and now I wonder how to get a Low G? Do I buy a set of Nylon Guitar strings and get the next larger string? Or do I have to find some flourocarbon leader for my G String to augment the set?

Merry Christmas Aaron

am thinking the baritone pack has a string that is next up in the series? its wound though I think.

Hi,
I always buy D'addario D strings for a classical guitar and use them as a Low G s on my ukuleles. Much cheaper and readily available.:cool:

ok yeah thanks I just ordered some off that strings by mail site. Guitar Center does not sell single strings lol. They said: you should change ALL your strings. I said, I just want the string for my ukulele. I found some strings in my classical guitar case. The nylon G string was terrible sounding. The D string was missing so I have the A string on there and I know its a little heavy but it is working ok actually. Daddario pro arte 5th string "A" normal tension silverplated wound. It says A is 13.9 lbs so I guess G is less. Doesn't seem to be causing any problems. I know its a bit too fat. seems to work! Even on this soprano dolphin! I might should put the lighter G string back on just to not over stress the thing idk. The wound is way better than the nylon 3rd string. that nylon string sounded terrible.

So I am curious if you use nylons for the first few strings ... I read about those savarez alliance and wonder if they would sound as nice as these martin fluorocarbons?

I would stick with the wound D string rather than any thing that will put too much stress on the bridge. Be careful!
Good luck...

I use the D'add wound "D" classical guitar works well.
Also blackline makes an unwound flouro carbon that I just put on one of my low g ukes.
The wear should be better, but it is fatter.
MusicGuyMike has them in his e-bay store.

Buy another set of Martins and use the 'C' string as your low 'G'
I've done exactly this with Aquilas on my Kala Acacia tenor (I didn't get on with the screeech of the wound striings)
Sounds great BTW.
Cheers
Gary

Resurrecting this old thread 'cause now that I've got three tenors, I'm thinking I want to make one a low G. I've tried 6 or 7 different reentrant string sets, and I've settled on the Martin 620s as my favorite, and recently stocked up. As far as I can tell, Martin doesn't make a low G set. So I'm wondering which low G fluorocarbons are closest to these Martins, or if there's a single string I can buy somewhere that will pair up well.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Jack

Try a set of Worth CT-LG strings or a single Fremont Soloist Wound Low G.

Resurrecting this old thread 'cause now that I've got three tenors, I'm thinking I want to make one a low G. I've tried 6 or 7 different reentrant string sets, and I've settled on the Martin 620s as my favorite, and recently stocked up. As far as I can tell, Martin doesn't make a low G set. So I'm wondering which low G fluorocarbons are closest to these Martins, or if there's a single string I can buy somewhere that will pair up well.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Jack

Hi Jack, I'm a big fan of Martin fluoros as well. I can't recommend a non-wound string since I have never met one that I liked, but I use the Fremont Soloist "Squeakless" wound string and love them. You can find them on eBay from Lucy's Ukulele. I think HMS usually has them too.

Hi Jack, I'm a big fan of Martin fluoros as well. I can't recommend a non-wound string since I have never met one that I liked, but I use the Fremont Soloist "Squeakless" wound string and love them. You can find them on eBay from Lucy's Ukulele. I think HMS usually has them too.

Strings by Mail and Elderly also have the Fremont low G.

However lots of folks are also using the Thomastik-Infeld chrome flatwound classical guitar singles, with great success, and IMHO they are smoother and quieter than the Fremont.

The Thomastik strings are also available now at HMS as well as the others in singles, you want a CF30 string for low-G on or CF27 for a wound C string.

Search the forum for 'thomastik' (without the quotes) to see several thousand posts about them previously. :)

One of my concert ukes had martin strings on and I just put a wound Aquila nylgut low G. Sounds great . Recommended. This string can be brought separately as a single string.

I was using a flat wound polished low g, but have now switched to all unwound, I like the feel and wear.
There is a string named "Latitude 34" on e-bay that sells single unwound flouro-carbon strings.
I have been using the full sets on most of ukes for a couple of years with good results.
Complete sets are $5.00 & $7.50, cheap enough that I changes strings more often.

I was using a flat wound polished low g, but have now switched to all unwound, I like the feel and wear.
There is a string named "Latitude 34" on e-bay that sells single unwound flouro-carbon strings.
I have been using the full sets on most of ukes for a couple of years with good results.
Complete sets are $5.00 & $7.50, cheap enough that I changes strings more often.

By chance do you have a link to share? I searched ebay for "Latitude 34 string" got 0 results, and "Latitude 34 fluorocarbon" showed me lots of harp instruments, but no strings...

Could it be a harp string as it is packaged?

I *love* the Pepe Romero's custom LaBella bronze-wound low-g. Your can buy it as a single string from Strings By Mail, or as a low-g set. The other string in the PR sets are Japanese fluorocarbon. Sound great.

Top Bottom