Thread: hohner big river harp

Default hohner big river harp

hi. i've bought one of these (on recommendation)... for a beginner.
    Not sure whether I should be washing it out with water or not.. and how I should be breaking the reeds in? A couple of the draw notes are really stiff and I'm not sure whether to return it...

I did take the covers off it and the lower side panel to the front of the reeds is a bit discoloured from a few weeks playing.

I never wash them out. I'll clean up the outside. Always slap the harmonica on my hand a few times after playing.

Reeds will relax a bit with play, but if the continue to stick, either return it or look to another. It might also be your technique. Try drawing while holding/pinching your nose. If that sounds better, and the reeds respond better, then you need to practice taking less air in through your nose.

I like Suzuki Bluemasters and Promasters, for their repsonsiveness. Also Seydel harps are great. Turbodog makes some great harp covers for some Hohner models that really help the sound and bending.

Reed plates can be replaced, too, on most harps.

You CAN clean them and if they have plastic or metal combs, water won't harm them. Never dunk wooden combs because they swell uncomfortably. If you play a lot, it's a good idea to take your harps apart frequently and clean them. Rupert Osler has a good DVD about harp maintenance.
    Ian
    -------------------------------------------
    Utque sacerdotis fugitivus liba recuso
    pane egeo mellitis potiore placentis.

I'm like that priest's slave who ran away because
    They fed him honey cakes and he longed for bread.

Horace: Epistle X
    Ukulele reviews * Vintage Uke Music * Tequila * Henry Hudson * Harmonica reviews * Blog

thanks both. I'll keep drawing and see how it goes...

Thread Information