strings for a lanikai 8 string uke

Unis

Reaction score
Does anybody know of a really good set of strings for a Lanikai 8 String Tenor Ukulele? The stock strings aren't that bad, one of them is even a guitar string, but there's got to be better strings out there. Any ideas?

Does anybody know of a really good set of strings for a Lanikai 8 String Tenor Ukulele? The stock strings aren't that bad, one of them is even a guitar string, but there's got to be better strings out there. Any ideas?

That's not a guitar string it's just wound. They come stock with Aquila.

Just purchased a Oscar Schmidt OU28T, anyone have a brand in particular they'd recommend?

Aquilas, assuming they will work as well on yours as well as they usually do on other all laminates.

Last edited:
I have Southcoast strings in C Tuning on my Lanikai. 2 wounds (G and C), the rest fluorocarbon. I love these strings. I've had Aquilas, which I liked, and Worth, which I hated, on this uke as well. They're a bit expensive, but the Southcoasts are the clear winner for me. Great balance between bass and treble response.

I've almost always used Aquilas on my Lanikai O-8E. I tried Southcoast's 8-string set. They were nice, but they weren't as loud as the Aquilas, and for the situations I usually play in (lots of guitarists), I need the extra volume I get get from them. I've received many compliments on the sound over the years.

- FiL

My bias for 6/8 strings is that I want maximum volume and "chime" and I use whatever will give me the most, depending on the tone wood on my instrument.

Thanks for the input, should I consider Worth Clears or Ko'olau? I mostly prefer strumming, typically Pop/Top40 genre.

Only if you want a quieter set of strings than Aquila. What works well on solid topped or all solid 8 strings often don't work well on all laminates.
I have Southcoasts on my Pono solid mahogany 6 string, would likely stick with aquilas if it were all laminate.

Get some GHS Strings, you won't be sorry:;)

Top Bottom