Tall Grass Ukuleles

EDW

Reaction score
Has anyone played the bamboo ukes from Tall Grass? They look pretty nice and at a decent price. The clips on the site and on youtube sound good. Any comments would be appreciated.

http://tallgrassukuleles.com

It's a great Idea. Bamboo is very renewable.

Oh I am saving my sheckels for one of those...the tone Josh is getting out of them must be mine. Give me till payday and I will let you know ;)

Just contacted them to see if I can get a review uke. I will keep you up to date on what happenes

Josh was fast to answer my emails--nice guy. I asked for a soprano (with friction tuners) and he said they're gonna work on a tenor first, and then I suppose they'll tackle a soprano.

Josh was fast to answer my emails--nice guy. I asked for a soprano (with friction tuners) and he said they're gonna work on a tenor first, and then I suppose they'll tackle a soprano.

That would be sweet!

Ukeeku- please keep us posted!

No international shipping yet, apparently.. I would be interested if they did.

I'll wait for a tenor - and definitely want one. I can drive over and pick it up - his area code is next to mine.

Any idea if these are solid wood? I didn't see that which made me somewhat suspicious?

I think this is the bomb. I've always been concerned about what we're doing to our planet. I used to be a professional environmentalist. Now I'm just a tree hugger.

Hello All,

Thanks for noticing our little brand! I'm planning to make the CHUG jam here in Chicago January 22. So if you live in the area and want to check them out, that'd be a good opportunity. Shoot, even you can't make that, email me at tallgrassukuleles (at) gmail (dot) comand and you can just come over. I have coffee and beer and if you time it right, you just might catch Kim in the kitchen, which is a very good thing indeed.

Any idea if these are solid wood? I didn't see that which made me somewhat suspicious?

They're as solid as bamboo gets––which is to say solid in the way that laminates aren't, but still solid strips glued side by side. I'm stoked that my personal Tall Grass uke keeps sounding better and better the more I play it, which I think is what most of us are looking for when we shop for a solid wood (or grass) instrument.

I'm happy to answer any other questions, either here or at the email addy above.

Cheers,

Josh

Thanks for your speedy responses to my personal emails too. Pretty cool and I love your logo. Any close-ups of the ukes. I couldn't find any detailed images and that is a shame because they look pretty cool.

Has anyone played the bamboo ukes from Tall Grass? They look pretty nice and at a decent price. The clips on the site and on youtube sound good. Any comments would be appreciated.

http://tallgrassukuleles.com

Yes, I have a concert and am quite pleased with it. It is well made, bright, loud, intonation and sustain good. And it is so reasonably priced, figured I couldn't go wrong. Enjoy playing it.

I got my Tall Grass uke yesterday! I ordered it on Sunday and was really pleased with Josh's service. The uke arrived in good shape and pretty darn close to in-tune. It's very stylish and I really like the feel of the bamboo. I like the tone, it’s sweet and mellow. From my limited and far from expert experience the set-up and intonation are both good, especially considering the price. I have an inexpensive soprano that is louder, but I got the traditional concert without the personal sound hole and loudness isn’t that important to me anyway.
I’m glad to see that UU has noticed Tall Grass Ukes and I wish Josh and Kim good luck with their new company.
Tom

Well, I got both this past weekend for review. I am taking the one with the side soundhole to NAMM. They sound awesome as for as I can tell. They seem to have a chorus sound if that makes sense.

A bamboo uke is not going to be "solid wood" because the bamboo has to be laminated or joined in strips to make a sheet wide enough for a uke top or back, etc. That said, "laminated" shouldn't be a cuss word - theoretically, proper use of laminated materials could render a better sounding instrument than can be obtained with solid woods. It's just that usually "laminated" is codespeak for "cheaper materials and cheaper construction." That doesn't necessarily hold true when one is talking about non-traditional materials (anybody care for a $6k carbon fiber mandolin, you can buy one if you want to wait about four years for your name to come up on the list!)

John

A bamboo uke is not going to be "solid wood" because the bamboo has to be laminated or joined in strips to make a sheet wide enough for a uke top or back, etc. That said, "laminated" shouldn't be a cuss word - theoretically, proper use of laminated materials could render a better sounding instrument than can be obtained with solid woods. It's just that usually "laminated" is codespeak for "cheaper materials and cheaper construction." That doesn't necessarily hold true when one is talking about non-traditional materials (anybody care for a $6k carbon fiber mandolin, you can buy one if you want to wait about four years for your name to come up on the list!)

John

hmmmm, I have to disagree with you on calling it a laminate. would you say a book matched top or back a laminate? since the strips are glued side by side, I would say that is as much a solid top as the bookmatched tops. IMHO.

Also Sorry for the bad grammer and huge spelling errors, and you say bridge, I say saddle (I am just tired)
I corrected is as much as I could.

Thanks for the review. I think they are a great idea. I know there are those who would disagree, but I wish they had friction tuners. Thanks for the comments about the intonation. From some of the videos I have heard they seemed a bit off.

Top Bottom