Tall Grass Ukuleles

Josh was fast to answer my emails--nice guy. I asked for a soprano (with friction tuners) and he said they're gonna work on a tenor first, and then I suppose they'll tackle a soprano.
This post had me thinking there might be a tenor.

hmmmm, I have to disagree with you on calling it a laminate. would you say a book matched top or back a laminate? since the strips are glued side by side, I would say that is as much a solid top as the bookmatched tops. IMHO.

I don't think we are in serious disagreement - if you notice I said "laminated or joined in strips." Still, I wouldn't go so far as to consider this quite the equivalent of a bookmatched top or back, either. I don't know how wide the joined strips are in your materials - in most stuff I've seen for other applications though they run around 3/4" give or take, therefore it takes quite a few of them on a back or top, and that makes for a lot more glue seams than you see in a bookmatched top or back. It's the presence of glue that stabilizes the wood and makes it less likely to change over time (not that I think that is always a bad thing). Also, I think they use a lot of heat and pressure when they are forming sheets of bamboo "lay ups," much as is done when laminated layers of wood, and I suspect that probably also compresses the cellular structure and makes it less likely to change.

In any case, I thought I was pretty clear that I think the potential for non-traditional materials (like bamboo) is really bright. I'm not "anti-laminate" - I have a Kiwaya KSL-02 longneck soprano made from their "extra thin laminated wood" and, until I got my KoAloha longneck soprano, that Kiwaya was my favorite even over my KoAloha concert uke.

Also Sorry for the bad grammer and huge spelling errors, and you say bridge, I say saddle (I am just tired)
I corrected is as much as I could.
Eh? Not quite sure what this is in reference to, maybe a different post?

John

Very nice!

I don't think we are in serious disagreement - if you notice I said "laminated or joined in strips." Still, I wouldn't go so far as to consider this quite the equivalent of a bookmatched top or back, either. I don't know how wide the joined strips are in your materials - in most stuff I've seen for other applications though they run around 3/4" give or take, therefore it takes quite a few of them on a back or top, and that makes for a lot more glue seams than you see in a bookmatched top or back. It's the presence of glue that stabilizes the wood and makes it less likely to change over time (not that I think that is always a bad thing). Also, I think they use a lot of heat and pressure when they are forming sheets of bamboo "lay ups," much as is done when laminated layers of wood, and I suspect that probably also compresses the cellular structure and makes it less likely to change.

In any case, I thought I was pretty clear that I think the potential for non-traditional materials (like bamboo) is really bright. I'm not "anti-laminate" - I have a Kiwaya KSL-02 longneck soprano made from their "extra thin laminated wood" and, until I got my KoAloha longneck soprano, that Kiwaya was my favorite even over my KoAloha concert uke.

Eh? Not quite sure what this is in reference to, maybe a different post?

John

Someone pointed out that I had a bout 10 spelling errors and a ton of other issues. I fixed them about 20 minutes after I published. that is the great thing about having stuff online, I can always go back and fix it and no one is the wiser :)

On the laminate discussion, we will arm wrestle later, or thumb wrestle. I am better with my thumbs.

Someone pointed out that I had a bout 10 spelling errors and a ton of other issues. I fixed them about 20 minutes after I published. that is the great thing about having stuff online, I can always go back and fix it and no one is the wiser :)

On the laminate discussion, we will arm wrestle later, or thumb wrestle. I am better with my thumbs.

Tim, that was my PM about the bridge/saddle typo, I hoped to fly under the radar before someone wandering by took to blasting you. On the laminate vs. solid bamboo; I'm afraid that you will have to thumb wrestle me as well. On your other thread announcing the new review, which I must say was thorough & makes me closer to wanting to buy one. I'm a concert scale kind of guy & after listening to several of Josh's videos its clear that they sound really great! Here's the link to the other post:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/f...Grass-Ukulele-Full-Review&p=686855#post686855

The pertinent quote is from Yamaha about their entry into using bamboo for guitars. Bamboo really is a great sounding tonewood, but it is certainly considered a laminate.

The Yamaha process for this guitar uses three- to five-year-old Bamboo plants about 6 inches in diameter. The wood is sawn into strips, bonded longitudinally, and laminated in three layers, with the inner layer at 90 degrees to the outer ones for rigidity. This laminate is then crafted using traditional guitar making techniques. The only non-Bamboo parts of the finished guitar are the Rosewood fingerboard and the Mahogany bridge.

All bamboo guitars, ukes, or other instruments are constructed in some similar method. Its just the fact of their construction, neither good or bad in itself.

Keep reviewing for us - we can't all own or tryout all ukes (though some of us are certainly trying!).

Thats it, its a battle royal Cage match at UWC!! 3 enter, 1 leaves.

Thats it, its a battle royal Cage match at UWC!! 3 enter, 1 leaves.

I concede in advance - I won't be at UWC! Interesting note that though Kiwaya has the "Paulele" bamboo uke, they list it on their site under "Novelty ukes" - but its not exactly at novelty prices!

Top Bottom