Anybody home brew?

bbycrts

Reaction score
I received a "Mr. Beer" home brewing kit for Christmas from my wife's grandma (that's a COOL grandma!).

I just bottled my first batch of pale ale (not my favorite, but it's what came with the kit). I sampled it - not bad, definitely not finished, of course. I'm excited to try different recipes and styles...

Anybody else into the home brew thing?

I try to with a couple of friends. Last time, we did three different recipes all at once. Gives us reasons to throw parties.

I bought a friend a Mr. Beer for her b-day. She liked it so much, she bought a second kit. Then I wanted one as well, but I read the alcohol content was pretty low - 3.5%. She adds some kind of corn syrup powder to give it more oomph. She's very happy with it.
I've been trying to get to a brew store to see about trying a different method, but who knows when that will be? The local store charges $12 for 6 bottles o' pishwater, so I hope it happens soon. :(

The basic booster refills are 3.7 %. I'll be going with non booster kits that are higher - more for taste than alcohol content. They also have recipes to bring various aspects of their brews to higher standards. I might go from scratch eventually, but this is an easy way to learn.

Been making the homebrew for about 10 yrs India Pale Ales are amongst my favorites
and an easy brew to make and have stellar results, a bit tangy for many but I like em.
Imperial Stout is always a favorite, Dark and heavy, a meal in a bottle.
The best brewing tip I can give "cleanliness = successful product"
Best of luck on you journey.

Cheers.

I've been home brewing on and off for about 8 years. The last batch was a Milk Stout. It's about time to brew again, get something ready for the spring. I'm lucky, Northern Brewer (http://www.northernbrewer.com/) is about 1.5 miles from me.
--G

i'm about do a trippel! and I need to bottle an imperial russian stout soon. mmmm beer.

Done a little bit with my uncle. Usually its bitters and stouts.. But we have been known to brew up the occasional batch of lager.

I have been brewing for about a decade or more. Top fermenting pale ale is the easiest. I agree with Mr.Bill - Clean and sanitized operation is the success of good beer.

+1 on clean and sanitized is the foundation of good beer. If there's a brewpub in your area, try to talk to the brewer––tell him you'd like to brew with him for a day. You'll end up doing a lot of grunt work like hauling grain and crawling into the kettle to clean it (which is why he'd let you brew with him), but you'll come away with a clearer picture of what goes into brewing. As well as an appreciation for just how serious people can get about brewery cleanliness.

And if this first batch you made was strictly extract, try steeping grains in your next batch. It's a good in-between step that gives better results before you try brewing all-grain.

Cheers!

Harpdog - looks good!

My first batch is in the bottles for about 10 days now. I've been holding off trying it because I know it's not fully conditioned yet...but it's hard! I may have to break into it tomorrow - sacrifice one bottle just to see how it's doing so far!

Just bottled my Russian Imperial Stout on Monday night.

Gonna give it at least four weeks in the bottle. Probably put a few bottles aside to wait a year.

I used to home brew when I was in High School..... kind of on the sly of course :)

Harpdog - looks good!

My first batch is in the bottles for about 10 days now. I've been holding off trying it because I know it's not fully conditioned yet...but it's hard! I may have to break into it tomorrow - sacrifice one bottle just to see how it's doing so far!

This being my first batch, I wanted to try it young (so I can appreciate the difference...AS IF!)
This was 8 days in the bottle. I'll save the rest to fully condition for Super Bowl.

Top Bottom