Thread: Does my Uke need a humidifier?

Default Does my Uke need a humidifier?

I have a solid mahogany Ohana ukulele. It's my first 'solid' wood uke (the rest are laminates and or have plastic backs).

Does this little guy need a humidifier? What brand(s) would you recommend? She lives in her hardshell case in my room most times, and I only take her out to play.

Makala Dolphin (Yellow Burst) soprano
    Fluke Flea Tiki King soprano
    Fluke Concert 'Natural Finish', with pickup
    Sprucehouse SO soprano
    Ohana PK25g Solid Mahogany Pineapple Soprano
    --- All held up with a Uke Leash (thanks Lori!)

I take photos better than I play ukulele. Maybe it'll change in a few more months? Or years? I'll never stop uke-ing then

my photostream
    my facebook

I like the Oasis OH-6 the best, $16.95 from Musician's Friend. It comes with a magnet system that attaches to the inside of your case. The main thing is long term diligence with keeping the humidifier filled, and I found this system to be very easy to use, and easy to see when to refill, without any worry about water damage (it uses those gel beads that expand when wet).
    –Lori

UkeLeash.com Ukulele Half-Strap, non-destructive ukulele support, no glue, hooks, or strap button required
    Ukulele Gifts! Ukulele Jewelry, Banjo Uke straps, Guitar Style Straps, Circle of Fifths guides

Westside Ukulele Ensemble

Or this one that hangs inside the uke.
    http://shop.mainlandukuleles.com/pro...&categoryId=10
    Lori, how often do you change the humigels in your humidifier. I'm on my second winter with mine and it seems to be working fine.
    Mainland Red Cedar Tenor
    DS Gill Tenor Pineapple spruce/mahogany
    Goldtone Concert Banjo Uke (BUC)
    Soares'y Fourcaster steel string electric tenor guitar/ Bari uke tuned DGBE
    Blueridge BR-40T Tenor guitar tuned DGBE
    Kala U-Bass
    Gold Tone CC-OT 5 string banjo
    Come visit "CB's Pickin' Place"

I use Herco's in two of my cases. I like them because they are relativly low maintenace. I also have one that water goes in and it has control vents to adjust the amount of moisture released, which is nice so you can get the case to a good relative humidity.

Do you need one?? depends on the climate where you live. But I would probably get one for the case if that is where it spends a lot of time.

I can't recommend a brand, because I use homemade humidifiers (usually plastic containers like soap dishes or pez dispensers with sponges or pellets in them and holes punched in the sides or tops). As far as the the answer to the question of whether you need one for a solid wood uke (or even just a solid top) - Yes you do, unless you live in a climate with plenty of humidity and don't use artificial heating or cooling in your home. Why take a chance on cracking a nice uke?
    Last edited by SweetWaterBlue; 01-20-2011 at 03:57 AM.
    Walk softly with your soprano and carry a big spruce tenor stick.

My SoundCloud Channel

Quote Originally Posted by cb56 View Post
    Or this one that hangs inside the uke.
    http://shop.mainlandukuleles.com/pro...&categoryId=10
    Lori, how often do you change the humigels in your humidifier. I'm on my second winter with mine and it seems to be working fine.
    I bought some replacement gel, but haven't used it yet. I have had mine for almost two years now. I have spilled a few of the gel beads, so I bought extra. Even though I spilled a few, I haven't added any new humigels. I have to be careful when adding beads, because they are really small, and expand quite a lot.
    –Lori

UkeLeash.com Ukulele Half-Strap, non-destructive ukulele support, no glue, hooks, or strap button required
    Ukulele Gifts! Ukulele Jewelry, Banjo Uke straps, Guitar Style Straps, Circle of Fifths guides

Westside Ukulele Ensemble

Sprucehouse SO soprano

If your uke is solid wood, then you really should get a humidifier. Me...I like one that hangs inside the uke body. I have one that is for guitars and it fits into a tenor uke no problem.
    Maui no ka oi !!!!!
    Kamaka HF-3, Vintage 1935 Kamaka Pineapple, Kanile'a Deluxe 6 string Tenor, Kamaka 1996 HF-38, Makala Concert

I took a note from the video that Aldrine shot and made my own! I took an old pill bottle and an old sponge, cut the sponge so that it fits snugly inside the bottle, and then took an ice pick and made five holes on the bottom of the bottle. It sits well inside the case up near the headstock. Hopefully my MacGuyver action works well. I guess there's no way to tell unless I get a measuring device of some type.

Sprucehouse SO soprano

Thread Information