Does my Uke need a humidifier?

J_Tay81

Reaction score
I have a solid mahogany Ohana ukulele. It's my first 'solid' wood uke (the rest are laminates and or have plastic backs).

Does this little guy need a humidifier? What brand(s) would you recommend? She lives in her hardshell case in my room most times, and I only take her out to play.

I like the Oasis OH-6 the best, $16.95 from Musician's Friend. It comes with a magnet system that attaches to the inside of your case. The main thing is long term diligence with keeping the humidifier filled, and I found this system to be very easy to use, and easy to see when to refill, without any worry about water damage (it uses those gel beads that expand when wet).
–Lori

I use Herco's in two of my cases. I like them because they are relativly low maintenace. I also have one that water goes in and it has control vents to adjust the amount of moisture released, which is nice so you can get the case to a good relative humidity.

Do you need one?? depends on the climate where you live. But I would probably get one for the case if that is where it spends a lot of time.

I can't recommend a brand, because I use homemade humidifiers (usually plastic containers like soap dishes or pez dispensers with sponges or pellets in them and holes punched in the sides or tops). As far as the the answer to the question of whether you need one for a solid wood uke (or even just a solid top) - Yes you do, unless you live in a climate with plenty of humidity and don't use artificial heating or cooling in your home. Why take a chance on cracking a nice uke?

Last edited:
Or this one that hangs inside the uke.
http://shop.mainlandukuleles.com/product.sc?productId=63&categoryId=10
Lori, how often do you change the humigels in your humidifier. I'm on my second winter with mine and it seems to be working fine.
I bought some replacement gel, but haven't used it yet. I have had mine for almost two years now. I have spilled a few of the gel beads, so I bought extra. Even though I spilled a few, I haven't added any new humigels. I have to be careful when adding beads, because they are really small, and expand quite a lot.
–Lori

If your uke is solid wood, then you really should get a humidifier. Me...I like one that hangs inside the uke body. I have one that is for guitars and it fits into a tenor uke no problem.

I took a note from the video that Aldrine shot and made my own! I took an old pill bottle and an old sponge, cut the sponge so that it fits snugly inside the bottle, and then took an ice pick and made five holes on the bottom of the bottle. It sits well inside the case up near the headstock. Hopefully my MacGuyver action works well. I guess there's no way to tell unless I get a measuring device of some type.

Top Bottom