Favorite movie scores?

I mean just watch Star Wars for an example of that.

Yeah, I would say that Star Wars would be the quintessential example. It pretty much revived the entire art of leitmotif in movie scores--the thematic style, where different characters, settings, and things have their own themes. Old-school guys like Korngold used to do it a lot, but I believe it fell out of favor until Star Wars came along.

And, of course, Korngold, Williams, et al, all got the idea from Richard Wagner. And maybe a bit from Prokofiev's Peter and the Wolf. :)

JJ

What Dreams May Come. Theme song is Beside You, by Michael Kamen of the New York Rock & Roll Ensemble (in the 70s). Beautiful, just beautiful song.

Some really great soundtracks suggested. I want to add my all-time favorite soundtrack-from the movie Maurice. The music in this soundtrack is so melodic and full of emotion.

Richard Thompson scoring Herzog's 'Grizzly Man'.

Last edited:
Loving this thread!
My all time favorites are:
The Piano (duh)
The Mission
El Sectreto de Sus Ojos (must see!)
Donny Darko (love the Tears for Fears song as they get out of the school bus and the everyday school life gets shown)
Car Wash
Apocalypse Now
Four Brothers (starts with 'trouble Man' by Marvin Gaye, immediately sets the tone of the movie)
The live Aquatic

Favorite Movie Score ? I don't know if I have a favorite but I'm a big fan of old Horror Movies. The movie "Dracula" starring Bela Lugosi has been rereleased with a new soundtack. Written by Philip Glass and played by the Kronos Quartet. It's all strings and really compliments the movie. I think even Bela would approve.

After 'The Piano' and 'Grizzly Man', everything in 'The Gospel According To Al Green".

Eugene,
we definitely need a new contest with movie scores after the Idiot Box Bonanza!

Cavatina from the Deer Hunter, which I'm learning now... On Classical Guitar.

It's a tough piece but deceiving as it sound pretty simple.

Desperado with Antonio Banderas. Well worth a listen. The song in the beginning with Banderas singing is awesome.

Anything by Eric Serra, but primarily:

Leon
Le Grande Bleu
The 5th Element

Gattaca
Conan (the first, original film, starring Arnie)
Alien
The Rocky Horror Picture Show
Blade Runner
Paris, Texas

I'll second the Vangelis "Bladerunner" Score (greatest movie of all time ;) )...Also, I haven't seen the movie, but Mark Knopfler's sound tracks for the movies "Cal" and "Local Hero" are great. Others I liked were Trent Reznor's soundtracks for "The Social Network" and "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" and John Strauss' "Amadeus" (well maybe I should credit Mozart for it)...

When Harry Met Sally
Dumb and Dumber
Footloose
Grease
Dirty Dancing

Last edited:
Love John Williams.

Hans Zimmer, Michael Giacchino, James Horner, Jerry Goldsmith, Ennio Morricone are all also favorites.

I also really enjoy (guilty pleasure maybe?) the Disney musical scores of the Alan Menken era (Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Pocahontas, Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Tangled, Newsies, Enchanted...) If you've never taken the time to listen to the score music (not the songs with words, though those are great too) there's some really great stuff there.

Top Bottom