Picks?

MrsMeyerMusic

Reaction score
Do you use a pick? If so, what kind? I've always been a purist, but lately I've been playing a lot in my classroom and my fingers are hurting. I've seen felt picks before for ukes...

I usually use my fingers, however I have a felt pick and have used it. The sound is a little different. Sometimes I use it when trying to pick instead of strum, I can get a cleaner sound, especially if I have broken a nail.

I never use a pick, unless I have to. This only really happens when my fingernails are badly damaged and I have to play e.g. at a festival. At NAMM, this January, three of my fingernails were broken. I need to play so I used a pick wherever possible. The problem is that it restricts my playing considerably.

Id say cause you only can pick one string at a time then.

I have never tried them but people who use picks on ukuleles tend to use felt picks.

I have gotten into the habit of finger picking so much I can't even touch my guitar with a pick.

I have a pick, three actually, all felt, and I used them before I could strum with my hands, rarely use them now...

I use Dunlop thin guitar picks. I've been playing for ~9 months, and at this stage, it gives me the best results. I used to play guitar, so that likely explains my abnormality. :rolleyes:

I can't get used to long fingernails, and I can't "find" the strings with thumbpick/fingerpicks on.

It's all evolving, though...

rarely use em. Like said, greatly restricts picking. I don't use a pick all the time on the electric guitar either. I like the warmer tones the fingers offers.. I think it started out by habit from my bass playing days, but it just works for me. Back in the day, the pads of my fingers on both hands felt like the sole of a converse court shoe, hahhah...

Last edited:
I am only strumming chords right now, so a pick will probably be fine. Fingerstyle is something I really want to learn, though. I can only pick a single melody line right now.

My local music store is ordering felt picks for me. I will look into those rubber ones, though!

I am only strumming chords right now, so a pick will probably be fine. Fingerstyle is something I really want to learn, though. I can only pick a single melody line right now.

My local music store is ordering felt picks for me. I will look into those rubber ones, though!

You need to consider whether you always want to only strum chords or make further progress. You can not easily play the ukulele with picks (IMHO). Particularly felt picks. Felt picks enable you to stand on a stage for hours doing simple up down strums without hurting your fingers. That's pretty much it. I know that some will disagree with me.

My playing partner in Ukes of Hazard plays with and without pick depending on the song.
He transfers his flat picking guitar style to uke. Sounds awesome

I use a Dunlop .38mm nylon pick when I use a pick. They are fairly thin and work very well for strumming or picking.

TCK:
My wife used to pick, and she liked the wedgie rubber picks the most.

Ron:
My playing partner in Ukes of Hazard plays with and without pick depending on the song.

Yes! Yes!

I, at least, tend to play softly with fingers. The wedgies give me a lot more volume. Comes in especially handy in a band or group setting, where you are mainly a rhythm player anyway.

For me it's like having two ukuleles for the price of one ukulele and a pick.

You need to consider whether you always want to only strum chords or make further progress. You can not easily play the ukulele with picks (IMHO). Particularly felt picks. Felt picks enable you to stand on a stage for hours doing simple up down strums without hurting your fingers. That's pretty much it. I know that some will disagree with me.

I agree that you should always make progress in whatever you do. I do a lot of strumming during my elementary music classes, so the pick would help save my fingers. In my own personal playing I probably won't use it.

Used to use a pick when i played guitar. Since starting the uke though i just cant turn back.

Personally, no. I feel more comfortable and natural using my fingers. Though, I know plenty of people that do use one and it doesn't diminish their skills.

My wife used to pick, and she liked the wedgie rubber picks the most. She has moved entirely to fingers at this point though.
Here they are at UW

I think having wedgie and playing ukulele would be uncomfortable.
I have heard the rubber picks leave eraser shavings all over the top of the ukulele.

I pretty much am a finger guy. When I am doing a lot of strumming I use a Fred Kelley freedom pick on my index finger, it saves my finger nail.
It does not seem to interfere with any strumming and only takes a few moments to get used to it.

I think you just need to develop your strumming technique a bit more. I think I could strum for hours and hours (I'm a music teacher, use the ukulele in some lessons and run two ukulele clubs) without it becoming painful. At our local club, we play for 3 hours without much pause. That's never a problem.

With my students, the ones who develop pain are almost always the ones whose fingers hit very side on, where the skin is pinched between the string and the side of their nail. If that's the issue, you can change the angle of your hand, so that you're hitting on the down with the tops of your fingernails, and on the up with the pads of your fingers.

You also might have too much tension in your fingers. Your fingers should breeze through and over the strings, not fight with them. It's one of those things which has to become unconscious. As with almost everything in music, the trick is to relax.

Top Bottom