Picks?

i have two felt picks, just bought them out of curiousity, i don't use them. well just once to see what it sounded like.

I've never even tried a pick on ukulele. Even on guitar, both acoustic and electric, I only very rarely use a pick.

I have trouble keeping my fingernails at a length that works well for picking, and right now they are out to a very nice picking length and I love the feel of picking with them, but it is Winter and that will change come Spring. I don't care for a wedge pick but do occasionally use a thumb pick and it isn't too bad when thumbnail is in bad shape. Tried finger picks as well, but they just don't have the feel of finger or fingernail. And as said, substitutions for nail or finger seriously interfere with involved strumming. I notice Ukelele Bart uses Acrylic nails? Never tried them. Don't know how they would work? Lozark

I often play with a pick, like a thin pick with the fat side toward the strings, like mando players do. Like to make my Uke Bark.

My playing partner in Ukes of Hazard plays with and without pick depending on the song.
He transfers his flat picking guitar style to uke. Sounds awesome

I meant to say - a very thin Dunlop (second to thinest, I think)

Aloha MrsMeyerMusic,
I've always preferred my finger nails, early on I couldn't even use them as they felt akward.....go forward 3 1/2 years and lately I was cleaning my desk and came across two finger picks and I tried to strum
with them and it came to me naturally and I can do it now effortly..go figure...as for finger picking they still feel akward....mine are Dunlop medium from Musician's friend...Hope it helps, Happy Strummings, MM Stan

... I notice Ukelele Bart uses Acrylic nails? Never tried them. Don't know how they would work? Lozark

Hi Lozark. Yes, Bartt does have acrylic nails fitted. He goes to a nail salon where the people understand what he wants. He said he got strange looks at first. But he has gone there regularly and has nails fitted that are just the right length and strength. He can get them smoothed out and shaped so that they are perfect for his style of playing.

They are glued on to existing nails. The false nails are perfect for a while but, as his real nails grow, the artificial nails move outwards. He returns to the salon and has everything smoothed out. Eventually a "gap" is created between the quick (living skin) and the synthetic nail. This is also smoothed out so it does catch when he is strumming.

This process can be costly. However, for this cost Bartt gets strong nails that work perfectly for his style of playing. Also, remember that he teaches classes, regularly attends festivals, plays uke in a band, records, etc. Bartt has a very varied playing style, from delecate picking to maniacal strumming - he needs to have nails that work all the time.

Last edited:
I saw a leather pick recently that sounded nice. Don't usually use a pick though because I find it harder to find my strings and think it sounds a little too crisp for my taste.

i must add that when i tried out a felt pick, it felt like glass over iron, very strange sensation. wasn't what i was expecting at all.

If you don't want to go though the acrylic nail hassel, try Alaska picks or Fred Kelley Freedom picks.
Alaska picks fit under the nail and some (me included) find them uncomfortable. The Freedom picks are much more comfortable for me.
They take very little time to adapt to. You can feel the strings and with either strumming is not inhibited. Both are like a finger nail extension.

If you don't want to go though the acrylic nail hassel, try Alaska picks or Fred Kelley Freedom picks.
Alaska picks fit under the nail and some (me included) find them uncomfortable. The Freedom picks are much more comfortable for me.
They take very little time to adapt to. You can feel the strings and with either strumming is not inhibited. Both are like a finger nail extension.
What size did you get for the Freedom Picks? I would like to have something for a back-up when my fingernails split or break. I would try the Alaska Picks, but if I have a way-too-short torn nail, I don't think they would work.
Did you by your picks online or does somebody carry them around LA? Did you get the Delrin or Polycarb?

–Lori

What size did you get for the Freedom Picks? I would like to have something for a back-up when my fingernails split or break. I would try the Alaska Picks, but if I have a way-too-short torn nail, I don't think they would work.
Did you by your picks online or does somebody carry them around LA? Did you get the Delrin or Polycarb?

–Lori
I bought large, one poly & delrin.
I like the clear poly no one can see I am wearing it.
I have not seen them in music stores, I got mine online from Kelley.
Easily sized with a hair dryer.

One reason I like picks, though I also play with my fingers, is they can make the tone more percussive. If I am at a uke jam I'll use a pick sometimes to keep a beat for everyone while playing. I still wanna try a felt one cause so far I have guitar picks.

I use felt picks constantly. The thing is, I wear them out pretty quick. Another problem I have is losing them. I never lost .20 guitar picks, but these for $1.50, I lose all the time.

Moments ago, I ordered a leather one. I give it one weekend, before I am looking everywhere for it.

I have tried a pick once and I didn't really like the sound (granted it was a pick I use for heavier bass playing).
I also don't like strumming with my fingernails though, I strum with my thumb... am I weird? :p

I have tried a pick once and I didn't really like the sound (granted it was a pick I use for heavier bass playing).
I also don't like strumming with my fingernails though, I strum with my thumb... am I weird? :p

I also strum with my thumb, just feels right for me!

Top Bottom