Ohana SK 38: First Impressions

Not to get too OT, but my you've been busy on SoundCloud since I was there last, Thom. What a wonderful voice and talent playing the piano you have been hiding from us.

Not to get too OT, but my you've been busy on SoundCloud since I was there last, Thom. What a wonderful voice and talent playing the piano you have been hiding from us.

That voice is 35 years ago! Haha. That was a senior recital, the piano was my accompanist. I found the recording last week, thought it was lost. I posted for my children--my son is a German speaker who works in the German division of Amazon, my daughters sing, so I wanted to show them what the old man could once do :)

I have to update this thread for two reasons:

1: Changed strings out to Martin 600s. These strings are a huge improvement. The instrument just mellows out with these strings. Lovely. I would suggest that Ohana consider shipping both the SK 35 and 38 with Martin strings, and doing the factory set up with these strings.

2: I had a close up look at a real live, Martin 2 yesterday, c. 1930s. It made me appreciate even more how well Ohana has reproduced this instrument. Well done, Ohana!

I look forward to hearing it. I was about to put M600s on my SK-70, but decided to try the old Low_G of my SK-35 on it first. The SK-70 spruce top with a low G makes a nice contrast to the SK-35's bell-like tones with the M600s, and the I am working on some soprano self-duets where its nice to have the low G for finger picking those melodies.

Last edited:
I am more in love with mine everyday! It's very playable on "both ends". Martin M660s strings are much better to my liking than the originals.

Top Bottom