Arm Wah

This sounds really cool and I give all credit to liveukulele.com

That's a cool little trick. Where did you get that "Ukulele Hero" shirt? It's legendary.

Armoire?

You might be able to get some nice wood for a uke from an old one.
Just sayin'.:eek:ld:

Brad aka liveukulele is a member here . . . used to live in NorCal and then moved back to the Big Island. He's one hell of a player and only been at it for about 5-6 years.

That's pretty cool. Another thing you can do is a sort of doppler affect with your hand above the sound hole, especially on smaller bodied ukes. I discovered that quite by accident when I got my pocket uke. Just strumming it gives a kind of cool dopler effect as your hand passes above the sound hole.

John

Thanks for the positive feedback. I had never really been able to figure out a practical application for this technique except at the end of a song until I tried it on John Mayer's "Heartbreak Warfare" recently. If you mute the soundboard right when he hits the whammy bar (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CfGlGQxGFQ) you can approximate the sound. I need to try it with delay.

Arm Wah!

Very cool. I am amazed and excited at how cool this is. I installed a DIY pick up into my fluke and flea ukuleles. I can't wait to try this with them plugged in!

Very cool. I am amazed and excited at how cool this is. I installed a DIY pick up into my fluke and flea ukuleles. I can't wait to try this with them plugged in!

It words great with soundboard transducers. However, I just got a UST put in my Kamaka and now it's not as pronounced.

It words great with soundboard transducers. However, I just got a UST put in my Kamaka and now it's not as pronounced.

Vindicated! LOL

I've always said that a UST has to have at least a minor affect on the acoustic character of an instrument because it's introducing a little "squish" between the bridge saddle and bridge. Even if it's installed properly, in a channel, there has to be a little of that "squish" factor or the pickup wouldn't be working because the way a piezo pickup works is by converting pressure into electricity.

Now, don't take this to mean I'm against USTs - I have them in some of my guitars and one uke. But, I don't think I'd have one put in a really high-end Koa because I want every last tiny shred of acoustic performance that I paid for with such a uke. On a mid-range uke they're great (I love the MiSi in my Mainland mango tenor).

John

Vindicated! LOL

I've always said that a UST has to have at least a minor affect on the acoustic character of an instrument because it's introducing a little "squish" between the bridge saddle and bridge. Even if it's installed properly, in a channel, there has to be a little of that "squish" factor or the pickup wouldn't be working because the way a piezo pickup works is by converting pressure into electricity.

Now, don't take this to mean I'm against USTs - I have them in some of my guitars and one uke. But, I don't think I'd have one put in a really high-end Koa because I want every last tiny shred of acoustic performance that I paid for with such a uke. On a mid-range uke they're great (I love the MiSi in my Mainland mango tenor).

John

I mean as far as the plugged in sound it isn't as pronounced. Just because now only the strings are being picked up instead of the whole body noise. I haven't noticed a negative impact acoustically.

That's pretty cool. Another thing you can do is a sort of doppler affect with your hand above the sound hole, especially on smaller bodied ukes. I discovered that quite by accident when I got my pocket uke. Just strumming it gives a kind of cool dopler effect as your hand passes above the sound hole.

John

Thats a very cool effect, works especially well with a small uke

Top Bottom