Blackbird Ukulele Review

Ebonyks

Reaction score
I first discovered this ukulele through online videos, and was provided a unit by Michael Stone of MacNichol Guitars, who was wonderful to deal with. I've played this instrument for about a month, and have developed a pretty strong opinion on the topic. Ultimately, I suspect this will be a polarizing instrument within the ukulele world, but let’s examine it closely first.

The most unique thing about the blackbird ukulele are the build materials. It is made entirely from carbon fiber. This material offers unique acoustical properties, as well as being extremely light and strong. In fact, at one point, this ukulele fell 2-3 feet against a wall, and while the ukulele was left without a scratch, it stripped some of the paint from the wall! This is a serious instrument! Blackbird advertises this as a travel ukulele, and I can’t think of an ukulele I’d rather take with me on a journey. It’d be difficult to damage this instrument, and it is quite light weight as well. I’d describe it as comparable if not lighter than a traditional koa ukulele (which tend to be lighter in my experience than spruce or mahogany ukuleles)

The carbon fiber design is a polarizing design feature, however. I think it’s safe to say that this instrument presents a unique sound in the ukulele world. If I were to subjectively describe the sound, I would say that it’s fuller, and richer, and louder (!!) than a traditional koa ukulele. (http://soundcloud.com/user4655047/blackbird-demo-flying) It doesn’t quite have that same brightness as a koa ukulele, I personally find the tonal balance more to my liking than a traditional Hawaiian build tenor ukulele. Some people describe the tone as more ‘guitar like’ than an ukulele, and while I think it’s an exaggeration, it gives the player some idea as to what to expect.

The aesthetics of this instrument are largely subjective. The ukulele has an unusual bowled shape, with an indentation so it can lie flat on the ground, and a cutaway top with an unorthodox sound hole. The top is made out of a carbon fiber weave, giving it a unique thatched appearance upon close inspection. The rest of the design decisions are minimal, the fretboard is solid black carbon fiber, with no marking of any sort, and the head is more carbon fiber weave with a blackbird logo. I think personal tastes matter most here, I don’t think this instrument can compare with a mother of pearl inlay koa masterwork aesthetically, but it stands out in a crowd to be sure. You can expect to get a lot of attention for playing this instrument.

As far as build quality is concerned, the Blackbird is second to none. Articulation is perfect, the action was set properly on mine. The shape of the neck was perfect for my hands, and it’s among the loudest and most powerful ukulele’s I've heard. The ukulele is remarkably easy to play up the neck due to the nuances of it’s cutaway design, barring up to the 14th fret is easy. . The longer I spend with the blackbird, the more little touches that I notice have been put into the instrument. This is an extremely comfortable ukulele to play. At one point, I brought it to a local Ukulele club meeting, and one member didn’t want to give it up to pass on to the next member!

Ultimately, I feel this instrument is an effort that runs contrary to the ukulele traditions, and I suspect that purists will be disappointed by this instrument. It has a distinct sound, but it’s light, extremely playable, and has a loud rich tone. I’ve been lucky enough to play a couple of rare and valuable ukuleles in my life, including a martin 5k and a Michael DaSilva custom tenor Ukulele, but if I were to own any ukulele, the Blackbird would be my instrument of choice.

The only real complaint I have about the blackbird is an artistic decision, and that is I like having fret markers on the fretboard. Blackbird made a compromise of placing fret markers on the left side of the neck to keep the fretboard visually clean, but I prefer having them on the fretboard.

Another complaint is a more serious one, which relates to the way that this instrument will hold it's value. Carbon fiber is extremely expensive for the moment, (as to the best of my understanding) because the US military holds a monopoly on it. As manufacturing techniques improve and become cheaper, I suspect that instrument of the same approximate design and build will be available for lower costs in the future. If you're looking to buy an ukulele as an financial investment, the blackbird would be a poor choice.

Edit: I've thought about this section and wanted to ammend it. I think it's important to clarify that I think that the blackbird ukulele is not an anomaly. I would be outright amazed that if they do not face more competition in the coming years as people discover what a great material carbon fiber is. My concern lies in the way that this instrument will hold it's value in contrast to a fuller market of carbon fiber ukuleles. The design of this ukulele is still quite unique, with features like a hollowed neck and an asymmetrical body, but I am not a luthier, nor do I have access to instruments made of similar materials to assess precisely how much of the sound is attributable to the design, and how much to the materials. I think in time, answers to these questions will exist, but for now, I question what the resale value of this ukulele will be in 5-10 years, much less then 40 years from now that I'd be cashing in investments for retirement.

I don’t write traditional Hawaiian ballads, and someone who is trying to find an ukulele with that sound or look will be disappointed. The blackbird cannot match the beauty of a flamed koa soundboard in my opinion. However, if you’re open to trying a non-traditional approach to ukulele design, I cannot recommend the blackbird ukulele highly enough. I adore the sound, build quality, and playability of this instrument.

Also, you guys like ratings, so here you go

Sound: 10/10 - The sonic signature is distinct, but it is also loud, full and rich. I've never heard an ukulele that sounds like this one before.
Playability: 10/10 - This instrument feels perfect in my hands
Build Quality: 10/10 - I have no complaints at all about build quality.
Aestheics 7.5/10 - This ukulele is distinct, you'll attract attention for it, but it cannot compare aesthetically to a handmade wooden instrument.
Value: 8/10 - This is an extremely expensive instrument, there's no way around it, and I question if it will hold it's value. Still, I can't think of any ukulele that compares to it.
Customer service 10/10 - I haven't had to send back my instrument, but both Joe of Blackbird and Michael of Macnichol guitars have been polite and responsive to all of my questions.

Final score 9.5/10 - If I could own any ukulele in the world, it would be this one. It's outside of my price range, but for those who have the cash, I've played no finer instrument in my life.

Last edited:
Weird, I was wondering the other day why nobody made a carbon fiber uke..... I just assumed they thought people want traditional, as most are afraid of innovation and change. I personally think it's a pretty awesome looking uke and would LOVE to have one.. Unfortunately the price is just too steep for me right now...Also, I can't get the sound clip to play for some reason. I really want to hear it. I love a fuller, guitar like uke sound.. Thanks for the review!

.. the picture they have of the uke on their site has fret markers....oh, just the one picture has fret markers... hmmm

Last edited:
The description sounds great. You are lucky to actually get one. I have a friend that ordered one and payed for it in advance. He waited months and months and months and finally just built his own CF uke. Now, that is patience.

Wow, building an instrument out of carbon fiber is an ultimate example of patience. I've heard that using traditional tools, that the material is very difficult to work. I'm not even sure how the blackbird folks do it, i'd guess a lot of the work is CNC-based and computer based tooling, instead of hand working it.

I want to ask though, did he build the whole instrument out of carbon fiber, or just use carbon fiber for the top?

For those interested in how carbon fiber instruments are made, here is a video showing a cello being constructed:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_gI3chGtww

Not a ukulele, but I imagine the process would be similar.

It's funny that carbon fiber ukuleles are just making an appearance now - they have been around for a number of years in the orchestral string instrument world. It's interesting to note too that although some people swear by them, and they are certainly cheaper these days, they have in no way replaced or even competed with the wood instrument market. For celli, anyway. I've heard both and in my opinion NOTHING can compete with wood and it's many various tonal qualities.

I believe that in the orchestra world nothing compares to a traditional build, I'm a veteran cellist myself (I've been playing cello for 8 years longer than ukulele), and the level of nuance that goes into building a cello far surpasses that of an ukulele.

Part of it perhaps is the reference tone wood (maple in a cello, koa or spruce in an ukulele), but I find the sonic signature of carbon fiber completely different on a cello, I find carbon fiber cellos to be uncomfortably bright. It could be the wound metal strings as well, I haven't decided why, but my ears just don't particularly like them.

Perhaps another reason for their relative obscurity in the classical string world is aesthetics, a solid black instrument stands out in sharp contrast to an orchestra of wood. Carbon fiber bows have become much more common than full instruments though, and that makes sense. From a weight/strength standpoint, there isn't a wood in the world that can compare to carbon fiber so far as I know.

Thanks for posting the review.

I like instruments that push the envelop and the Blackbird is a striking uke.

I've owned the Blackbird Guitars Nylon Rider for a year, and Tenor Uke for about six months now. Both have RMC pickups. In terms of playability and sound quality, they are simply exquisite. With the RMC pickups they can be anything you want them to be. The Rider is head and shoulders above Rainsong or even the late lamented CA guitars. The fact that the Rider and the Uke are very strong and durable is nice but not what these instruments are really about. . What should matter to musicians is that they simply play and sound better than most any other guitar or uke you're likely to come across. How Joe Luttwak came seemingly out of nowhere in the universe of talented luthiers and got it so right with technology that's so new is a mystery. His Riders certainly have won praise, but until now there've been no substantive review of his mighty tenor. Many thanks to Eboynks for correcting that. Right now, this is THE major story in what's new in Ukes. As for looks, if you believe that form follows function, then these Blackbirds are beautiful. My only beef with Joe is that he should have given his uke a distinctive name. Saying "The Blackbird Guitars Tenor Uke" is not cool. Call it the Duke or whatever, but give it a name! To see what it can do in a pair of great hands, check this out...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHbGbmFbguU&feature=related

Last edited:
Yes, this is also on my wishlist. To anyone who says they're ugly, make us a better looking one that sounds as good then and is actually available to buy then. ;)

Ron Gordon, a local ukulele performer/teacher,and inspiration, has been playing a Blackbird for a couple of months now. He's brought it to the Electric City Ukulele Club meetings, and the Dance Flurry in Saratoga Springs for use in workshops and jams. It has a great sound, both acoustic and amplified. He said he's planning on sending it back, with recommendations about sound hoke placement/ additional sound holes, but overall seems very impressed with it.

I think it is gorgeous, but way out of my price range. The cost is almost the down payment on a slightly used pickup truck.

-Kurt

(Yeah, I know - the uke sounds better than the pickup truck, but I can't carry a full sheet of plywood on a ukulele.)

Last edited:
I'm curious how the Blackbird is doing now that it's approaching a year from initial review?? The Blackbird Nylon is very tempting...

My 2 cents: I have one for about a year and it's one of my favorite players. Because of it's shape and slickness, I have to use a strap to keep it in one place - that's the only thing about it I don't love. It sounds good plugged and unplugged. It is loud. I jam with it every week with a group and it holds it's own with anything. I also have a Blackbird guitar, and it also is an outstanding instrument.

My 2 cents: I have one for about a year and it's one of my favorite players. Because of it's shape and slickness, I have to use a strap to keep it in one place - that's the only thing about it I don't love. It sounds good plugged and unplugged. It is loud. I jam with it every week with a group and it holds it's own with anything. I also have a Blackbird guitar, and it also is an outstanding instrument.

That seems like the ultimate praise for the Blackbird ukulele, considering you have at least 3 Moore Bettahs and several other high end ukes from what I can see from your Youtube channel. Too bad (or is it lucky for me) they don't make a concert size or I would have a hard time resisting.

I tried one of these just yesterday, but only for about 10 minutes. The sound and feel was impressive. It looks a little ugly and is very expensive, but the sound and feel really inspired me.

I am thinking of buying a Blackbird ukulele but must say I am torn between the clara and the Tenor I do already have a tenor Beansprout ukulele and a Koaloha tenor also a very cheap but good fun Oscar Shmidt 8 string , I am in to finger style playing and on the banjo uke mostly clawhammer , I think that which ever one I go for I will wonder if I should have gone for the other ,,,,,,,and no I can't buy both so any helpful comments would be great

Top Bottom