Uke Display Case

Harold O.

Reaction score
Suppose you just bought a beautiful new uke. You play it, love it, then stuff it in a bag and hide it in the closet.

That's what got me to building this display case. It has a three hooks for dangling your uke via a leather strap, a drawer for your music books, and room enough underneath for hiding the gig bag.

A display case like this makes it possible to show off your instrument while keeping it safe from the kids, cat, and dry air. I used plexiglass for the see-through parts and a sliding front door. By putting a standard humidifier inside, the moisture content stays fairly constant.

EDIT: I just added a second approach to the same design. This one was suggested by Lori (of Uke Leash fame). She suggested having the uke bags visible so as to keep track of them, either filled or empty.

These are a bit impractical to ship, but if you're in southern California and want to see one up close, let me know. If you are outside the region and would like to build one for yourself, PM me and I will let you in on some dimensions.

uke-display-case.jpguke-display-case2.jpg

Last edited:
Nice job Harold. Unfortunately, if I had display cases for all of my ukes, I wouldn't have any where to sit, cook, eat or sleep in my house.

BTW, I prefer the looks of the one with the cabinet doors below. After all, it's your ukes that you want to show off, not your cases.

I barely have room for all my instruments as it is.

I do think it's a major cool idea! Props!

Both of those are really cool man. I think eventually I'm going to have to build something like that. The Shelves are also a cool feature for the cases.

Nice job Harold. Unfortunately, if I had display cases for all of my ukes, I wouldn't have any where to sit, cook, eat or sleep in my house.

BTW, I prefer the looks of the one with the cabinet doors below. After all, it's your ukes that you want to show off, not your cases.

Thanks DK. The idea came to me when looking at my stack of ukes in cases near the kitchen table. I needed a way to tidy up the mess and keep track of my music sheets and such. This has a footprint of 32 by 14 inches and stands 62 inches tall, actually less space than I was eating up before! (because now I also go up)

Ukeuleleblues: Humidity has not proven much of an issue yet. I have a typical instrument humidifier in the case. Though not completely sealed, the inside stays reasonably constant. Yes, it does get dry here in LA, but having an inclosed space is 'almost' as good as keeping it stuffed in the case. Plus, I can put a couple on display when people are coming over, then put them away when they leave.

that display case is AWESOME! If I had the talent to build one, I definately would but I have a feeling I would just end up getting frustrated and never complete the project. Anyway, nice job on that diplay case, it looks great (especially the 2nd one).

Ukeuleleblues: Humidity has not proven much of an issue yet. I have a typical instrument humidifier in the case. Though not completely sealed, the inside stays reasonably constant. Yes, it does get dry here in LA, but having an inclosed space is 'almost' as good as keeping it stuffed in the case. Plus, I can put a couple on display when people are coming over, then put them away when they leave.

I guess I meant to say that display case you made takes care of the issues of hanging them out in the open. I mean they are in a enclosed display case and you have humidifiers and you can still see them. That is a great idea you had. It's funny but down here low humidity is 60%. I lived in San Diego and it got so dry when the santa anna winds blew in photos would curl up. Three thumbs up from me!!!!

Nice work Harold, Nice way to show off those ukes.
I've been toying with the cabinet idea awhile,
you've convinced me. Thanks.

Cheers.

Very nice case! I think I might have a go at making one of these to display the uke that I just got signed by Jake!

Thanks for posting!

Cool case for the ukes i would like one but dont have enough space.

Good job.

Top Bottom