Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best uke for beginner

Default Best uke for beginner

Which type ( not brand ) of ukulele would be best for a beginner to purchase?

By type, I'm guessing you mean size? I'd recommend starting with a concert size uke, it still has a sound much like the traditional soprano size, but is a little less cramped on the fretboard.

You probably also would want it to have geared tuners as well. The friction type are a little touchy, especially for a beginner. Also make sure you have a tuner handy, a new uke will need to be tuned up constantly until the strings break in.
    Koloa KU-620 Concert
    Aria ACU-120 Concert
    Lanikai LSM-T
    Kohala KO-S Soprano
    Grizzly kit Soprano
    Rhythm Band Soprano
    Rogue Baritone

Any musical background? It all depends on the individual - comfortability and playability are factors to consider as well as cost. If, at all possible, there's a store selling ukes close to you, try to get down there and hold each one and go from there. I think you'll get responses saying either soprano or concert.
    Last edited by Kanaka916; 03-28-2011 at 02:57 PM.

Nana ka maka; ho`olohe ka pepeiao;
    pa`a ka waha.

Observe with the eyes; listen with the ears; shut the mouth.
    Thus one learns.

Congrats on getting ready to buy your new uke! As Kanaka said, best to go to a store that sells ukes, try the different sizes out and see which one feels "right" in your hands. Have fun!!!
    Maui no ka oi !!!!!
    Kamaka HF-3, Vintage 1935 Kamaka Pineapple, Kanile'a Deluxe 6 string Tenor, Kamaka 1996 HF-38, Makala Concert

It's hard to say, biggest thing is buy the best one that you can afford. In the long run you wont regret it and if you don't like it you are more likely to be able to re sell it.

As far as size get what's comfortable... for me, I like concert size and I have a tenor eleuke which I also love. I haven't really played many sopranos, although I love the sound.. I think try them out, even if you don't buy a model at a store hold it for size and then call one of our many great uke dealers and pick one out..

Good luck, Let us know what you decide!

When I was deciding on size for my first uke, I went onto You Tube and listened to sound clips of a lot of ukes. The sound clips for various ukes that musicguymic has up are really great for comparison purposes. There can be sound variations for a particular size among manufacturers though. I think what helped me decide to go with a concert for my first uke was a comparision video of the various Kamoa ukes. I really liked the slightly deeper tone of the concert versus the soprano and it was more in line with the sound I was looking for.

Of course what sound *you* want should be your deciding factor.

Quote Originally Posted by fitncrafty View Post
    It's hard to say, biggest thing is buy the best one that you can afford. In the long run you wont regret it and if you don't like it you are more likely to be able to re sell it.

As far as size get what's comfortable... for me, I like concert size and I have a tenor eleuke which I also love. I haven't really played many sopranos, although I love the sound.. I think try them out, even if you don't buy a model at a store hold it for size and then call one of our many great uke dealers and pick one out..

Good luck, Let us know what you decide!
    Ditto, buy the best you can afford and you will insure that you learn faster, plus you won't feel like your instrument is holding you back in any way.

Buy for playability!

Good luck and you are really gonna be happy that you did this!

Michael
    "I never said I could spell" Greg Mrakich

23 million Americans have Diabetes! You can be a part of the solution. Won't you donate today and be part of the cure by supporting me the Race for the Cure Ride this Oct 17?
    (any amount helps from $5-$25)

http://tinyurl.com/RideToCureJDRF

Concert, concert! (Sorry, didn't mean to shout)

A "Roy Smeck" Harmony is a great uke for a beginner . It sounds like a ukulele and the intonation is just about pefect ( which is very hard to find in a cheap uke) You won't be listening to "off" notes. The action is very good up to about the 5th fret and by the time you outgrow it, you will have a collectable uke for your collection which goes along with playing one. You can still find them from 20 bucks up to over a hundred for really mint ones. The body of the uke is solid mahogoney? and the fretboard is plastic and thats where the great intonation comes from.

Thread Information