Mellow out the Classic Rock contest

dirkallie

Reaction score
If you're anything like me, you love to pick up the uke and use its soothing powers to turn any song into a mellow jam. Things can get pretty epic. The Who. Black Sabbath. Queen. Hendrix. Zeppelin. You get the picture.

The contest is as follows: you need to pick any upbeat classic rock song (the more rockin', the better) and turn it into a rightous mellow version using the uke and your chops. remember, the object is to transform a normally rock-out, air guitar-ing, head banging, fist pumping song from the 60's-90's into an awesome relaxing cover. So don't "mellow out" a James Taylor song. It won't cut it.

The prize: The winner will be awakened from their chill with a POUND OF STARBUCKS COFFEE! That's right, the best will be rewarded with the best. Whole bean, any blend of your choice. There will be no runner-ups. There can only be one king of the mellow uke cover. Could it be you? post a link to your effort and find out!

Rules: Post a link to your video. It does not have to be in one take, you may have band members and other instruments, but it must prominently feauture the uke. The song of choice must be a ROCKING classic rock song (use your own judgement deciding this). The song should be complete, and not exceed 5 minutes (mellow, not snore inducing). And, in what may be the most important rule of all, you must address yourself (or your band) as the king(s) of mellow, and that you are going to mellow out (name of classic rock song).

In tradition of the mellow spirit, any contestants who ask any unneeded nit-picky questions on the forum regarding the rules will be disqualified. If you are not sure, just go with the flow.

You will be judged on the mellow and groovability of the cover. you will be judged on presentation. You will indeed be judged on the mellowness and listenability of the cover as opposed to the rocking song of choice. As I said before, do NOT pick a song that is already mellow.

The contest will end at midnight, April 22. The winner will be announced within the 23-24th. As the time of this writing, one entry per person/band, 50 entry slots total. So get going! But not too fast.

Edit:
ATTENTION!!! In addition to the coffee, the King of Mellow will also receive an amazing MYSTERY MELLOW AWARD BASKET!! The contents will be revealed once the winner is announced, and trust me, you will NOT be disapointed.

EDIT: I talked to the other judges, and you can submit as many entries as you'd like and we will pick your best entry as the one that will be in competition with the others. This goes for all participants. Good luck!

Last edited:
This is a redo of the Bon Jovi classic "Living On A Prayer" which features me (The Duke) on an Oscar Schmidt Concert Uke. Coconut and The Duke play Invasive Folk music.
http://youtu.be/Q1wZf9iHg3g

Very cool but you did not follow the rules, make sure you read the instructions on what to say at the begining to prove that it's FOR THIS CONTEST. I give everyone one redemption submission, so go for the gold!

Sounds like a fun contest, can't wait to see/hear the entries. :)

And, in what may be the most important rule of all, you must address yourself (or your band) as the king(s) of mellow, and that you are going to mellow out (name of classic rock song).

In tradition of the mellow spirit, any contestants who ask any unneeded nit-picky questions on the forum regarding the rules will be disqualified.
Okay, now to ask a deliberately nit-picky question and automatically disqualify myself (since I won't be entering and don't drink coffee anyway), if a female enters, does she still have to call herself the "king of mellow" or can she be a "queen"?

Because inquiring minds want to know. :p

Okay, now to ask a deliberately nit-picky question and automatically disqualify myself (since I won't be entering and don't drink coffee anyway), if a female enters, does she still have to call herself the "king of mellow" or can she be a "queen"?

Because inquiring minds want to know. :p

DISQUALIFIED! And yes a female may address herself as king or queen, although the title of king is figurative and a non-gender specific role in the context of king of mellow.

I like the idea of this one, should be good.. As an old heavy metal fan i might have to see what i can mellow from my old thrash guitarin days :)
Rock on...(in a pair of slippers and on a rocking chair) that is..

Sounds like some fun. I'll see what I can come up with!

I am sooooo doing this... just to have an excuse to sing Queen. I dont drink coffee... but there are threats of bringing old expired coffee to UWC, so if I win this coffee will go to UWC so that people dont die from coffee poisoning. Haha! OK... hopefully this does not fill up to quick because I have no time now... but I will totally enter. Excited, Excited, Excited.

I am sooooo doing this... just to have an excuse to sing Queen. I dont drink coffee... but there are threats of bringing old expired coffee to UWC, so if I win this coffee will go to UWC so that people dont die from coffee poisoning. Haha! OK... hopefully this does not fill up to quick because I have no time now... but I will totally enter. Excited, Excited, Excited.

you have ZERO time Mim! What are you doing even posting in another forum other then posting results for the remix contest!? how dare you ;)

I am sooooo doing this... just to have an excuse to sing Queen. I dont drink coffee... but there are threats of bringing old expired coffee to UWC, so if I win this coffee will go to UWC so that people dont die from coffee poisoning.

When do you need coffee, before leaving for UWC? Contest or not, I can send you some - it's just a thank you for making my friend Carrie so happy with her violet Eleuke.

(I can also send some tea for you to take to UWC. Just let me know.)

-Kurt

Although I can appreciate you all mellowing out (or wimping out), there are only 10 more days left to go, so suck it up and submit your entry before your glory is swept away before your very eyes! Trust me, you don't want to miss out on what could be the most prestigious title you may ever win! Not to mention the mystery mellow prize pack: eye glistening, drool inducing, heart thumping awesomness! Short story long, it will blow your senses, so don't miss out on your chance.

As palm Sunday coasts along, your palms should be coasting along your uke, for there are only 6 days left in the coolest contest you will ever enter. Even if you think you aren't worthy of the title, give it a go! Everyone will go nuts over your mellow cover. Who knows, you might turn out to be the long lost, long awaited, king of mellow.

Since when was the 90s "classic" rock? Classic is pre-80s by even the most liberal FM definitions, and the purists don't allow anything later than 1975. Me, I'd cut it off at 1971 - the year after the Beatles broke up, Hendrix and Joplin died.

Since when was the 90s "classic" rock? Classic is pre-80s by even the most liberal FM definitions, and the purists don't allow anything later than 1975. Me, I'd cut it off at 1971 - the year after the Beatles broke up, Hendrix and Joplin died.

Wow... Just trying to make it easier on everybody in case they have a good idea.

oops! just reread the rules...one entry per person....my bad! i will take my punishment graciously...unless the extra sillydave is counts as a different person....different mustache...could be.....

Top Bottom