Ukulele buying curse? Anyone else have issues with MGM on eBay?

blumatrix

Reaction score
First time poster, long time lurker, and a Uke fan for about 4 months.

Bought my first, second and third (all the same ones) Lanikai S-C concert ukulele from Amazon. Intonation was terrible on all three and eventually gave up on Amazon.

Finally decided to follow all of your advice and order from MusicGuyMike (MGM) on eBay.

Emailed him a couple times prior to transaction, to which he was very responsive.

I pulled the trigger and sent payment and waited, and waited... close to two weeks now and have not gotten any shipping updates or responses to my emails/messages.

I know everyone here raves about him... so what gives?

Anyone else having trouble reaching MGM lately?

Now I'm stuck... where do I order a new tuned up ukulele from? Should I just order directly from Mainland, Elderly's site, or somewhere else?

TIA!

Telephone MGM. His good reputation is well deserved.

Definitely call him: 808-291-6069. I've found that he responds better to phonecalls than to email.

A friend recently had a similar shipping delay after buying something from him. He's been dealing with moving, and an illness as of lately, so it must have been an oversight. A phonecall was all it took to resolve it.

Definitely call him: 808-291-6069 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 808-291-6069 end_of_the_skype_highlighting. I've found that he responds better to phonecalls than to email.

A friend recently had a similar shipping delay after buying something from him. He's been dealing with moving, and an illness as of lately, so it must have been an oversight. A phonecall was all it took to resolve it.

Yep, what she said. MGM posted on this about a week ago.

I know he was in the process of moving and he also had some health problems. Maybe just an oversight because of what's goin on but I would give hime the benefit of a doubt and contact him (email or phone) to get your problem resolved.

Search for his posts.. He has a new Hi number and I believe that he just moved.. so busy. I haven't personally purchased from him but he does have a great reputation. I say give him a call, you can probably search in the forums and find it and his new number..

Good luck!

I'll give him a call.

I understand situations come up, but two weeks is long time to ignore customers. :confused:

Aloha Tia,
Mike is a stand up guy...there could have been a problem with the shipping carrier, and like mentioned he has alot of things on his plate currently, such as moving and downsizing and health issues...
Also as mentioned he has a new 808 number....did you use his new number because the 757 number is no longer in service...try calling him back at hawaii times during the week...I believe he mentioned
some thing about less hours on the weekend..Today would be a good day..to try...I am sure it is an oversight due to his current issues..he is also a current UU member and is here often...Good Luck,
you might not need it as Mike is as good as they come in Service Quality...Happy Strummings..MM Stan

Last edited:
Ordered my Kala Thinline Tenor Thursday (4/14) and received it today (4/18.)

My first transaction with MGM & I am very happy.

Thank you!

What?? That's ridiculously fast compared to how long I've been waiting.

Check out this thread begun today by MGM. I'm not sure if your problem is related to this, but he's evidently having trouble with eBay, PayPal and AOL as a result of his move.

I actually got a private message from a new UU member about supposedly not getting what he order from Mike. Sent it to me because of a glowing recommendation I made sometime ago. (Lesson learned) Not sure what he thought I could do about it. Hope Mike can get a handle on things. It pains me when i see him post, his hands must be a total mess. Can't believe he doesn't have anyone to help him out.

What?? That's ridiculously fast compared to how long I've been waiting.

where are you at?
MGM has a solid reputation. He is by no means perfect but as close to it as possible, and if he dropped the ball that is not good. Hopefully he will get it taken care of for you.

I have purchased a ton of stuff from him with excellent results. Lots of phone calls too. I just purchased some strings that took longer than the usual lightning fast but it was still very much in the acceptable range(6 days to Seattle). See, if 6 days was a bit off for him, he is pretty darn good!!!

where are you at?
MGM has a solid reputation. He is by no means perfect but as close to it as possible, and if he dropped the ball that is not good. Hopefully he will get it taken care of for you.

I'm in Los Angeles. I placed an order and paid on 4/7. Waited around and sent him an email a week later since I hadn't gotten any shipping/tracking info. Nothing. Emailed him again a couple times over the weekend, sent him messages via eBay and PayPal. Nothing. I even went as far as to opening a dispute on PayPal. Still nothing.

This morning, per you guys' recommendation, I called him (around noon his time). No answer and phone number doesn't have VM set up on it. What gives?

MGM - if you're out there, read this and talk to me. Ebay item bought was #330550769395. I'm really out of patience and losing faith.

blumatrix, I also purchased a uke from MGM. Sale closed on eBay on April 6. He acknowledged my payment on the 7th, but I haven't heard from him since. I tried calling his new number, but it goes to this service recording that says he hasn't setup his voicemail yet. He did write in the other thread that he's had issues with his eBay, aol and PayPal, but how do we contact him then? It's odd because some people purchasing after us have reported receiving their ukes.

That said, I've had excellent service from mic in the past.

MGM, please PM me if you read this. If the move or health issues are causing delays, please let me know and I'll be patient. Best wishes.

Last edited:
Good to know I'm not the only one with issues.

MGM - I realize PayPal and email lock ups are serious challenges. I also understand if moving and health issues are causing you unexpected delays. You obviously have other means of contacting your customers (like this forum) and have time to put up posts on forums.

We need to hear from you.

Top Bottom