feedback is making me ill

Mike,

I can only imagine how difficult it must be for you to be dealing with the problems you've been having with eBay and PayPal on top of your health issues. As has been said, those of us who have met you and have dealt with you know that you're a great guy who is passionate about getting ukuleles into the hands of people who want them, completely honest, and committed to doing everything you can to satisfy your customers. I'm one of the people who bought ukuleles from you just before your eBay problems came up, and I never had any doubt that you would do everything you could to ship the ukes I bought from you if you were able to figure out (without being able to loook on eBay) what it was that I bought, even with your serious health problems. The people who are complaining about you either have no idea what you've been going through or don't care (which is really sad), but there's nothing they can say or do that would affect by one bit the high respect and aloha that those of us who know you have for you. It sucks that you have to deal with people who can't see beyond their own relatively minor inconveniences, but I hope you've been able to see how much the UU community loves you, and how hard we're all praying for you to get better. Please let us know if there's anything at all anyone can do to help you through these difficult times. Mahalos and blessings.

Mike-

As one who posted negative feedback, I'm sorry. I received the shipping e-mail from ebay the day after I posted it - looking forward to my first uke arriving any day. I also discovered this wonderful forum and website yesterday, found out the reality of your situation and what you're going through. Many apologies - I never would have posted the feedback if I'd known the whole story. Not only my first uke, but also my first ebay purchase, so I'm not sure how the process works, but just let me know how I can revise the negative feedback. I feel bad for kicking you when it's obvious you're trying to do the right thing against increasing obstacles.

I sent messages to the other buyers who left negative feedback with links to this forum so they can see the breadth of love for you and your good business in this community. Hopefully it will go a little way to making things better for you.

Like I said, looking forward to the ukulele. I've played guitar for fifteen years and can't wait to get my hands on it. Looking forward to learning much from the folks at UU and here at the forum....

Bill

... so I'm not sure how the process works, but just let me know how I can revise the negative feedback. I feel bad for kicking you when it's obvious you're trying to do the right thing against increasingly bad obstacles.

I sent messages to the other buyers who left negative feedback with links to this forum so they can see the breadth of love for you and your good business in this community. Hopefully it will go a little way to making things better for you.....

Bill

This is a great idea! Mike, see how people will come to support you once they realize the truth of what happened?!?

Thanks Bill for taking the initiative in contacting the other unknowing customers!

Bill, thanks also from me for making an effort re feedback, I know there's a way to revise it, check out the feedback forum.

MICHAEL, please don't take the negatives so hard, with over 18,000 positives, it should be obvious to most that something was wrong. The people who count are still leaving you a bunch of greens!

18,000 positives? That's more people than the town I grew up in!

Bill, thanks also from me for making an effort re feedback, I know there's a way to revise it, check out the feedback forum.

I tried. It looks like MGM has to initiate it - one of the reasons for my post here. Mike - just lemme know.

Like I said, I've never purchased anything on ebay before. Guess I'm used to the flood of confirmation/shipment emails and quick shipping from Amazon, etc...... the kind of service it sounds like Mike has always provided. I just freaked out and didn't think about trying to figure out why such a reputable seller wasn't living up to what I expected until AFTER I'd posted the feedback.
Live and learn.....

Gotta say, looking around this forum - and other places on the web - the uke community seems warm and cozy..... a nice place to be. Glad I stumbled into it from a computer in Georgia....

Way to be a stand up guy Bill. I understand the concerns that some of the buyers have. However, I would hope that they give Michael time to get things straightened out before reacting. For you, I know that this is your first ebay purchase and you weren't aware of Michael's situation. I think most of those on this forum who have outstanding purchases have been understanding and patient.

I don't know if newbies to the uke understand the impact that this one person has on the uke community. Imagine the reaction if Apple decided to stop making iphones. That would be a similar impact that others might understand.

I had the terrible timing of deciding to act on my long-time desire to get a uke last week. I talked to Mike on the phone and he was very helpful and responsive. After our phone conversation I immediately ordered from eBay and then...nothing. I was concerned and a little angry at first, but it was clear that Mike is THE guy in the uke community and that something serious must be wrong for him to not ship my instrument or get back to me.

A little research clued me in. Now I understand and am willing to be as patient as necessary to not be a problem for Mike at this time, when what he needs most is support and caring.

I felt compelled to write to an ebayer (I think the one Mike started this thread about) about the negative feedback left. I was told to mind my own business. Clearly this person is just an ignorant jerk.

Mike, I know it's hard to ignore stuff like this when your integrity and reputation are being smeared, but do the best you can to realize that those who matter know your true character. Even those who just got to know who you are and what you mean to the uke community.

Take care of yourself. Get well. We need you!

I tried. It looks like MGM has to initiate it - one of the reasons for my post here. Mike - just lemme know.

Like I said, I've never purchased anything on ebay before. Guess I'm used to the flood of confirmation/shipment emails and quick shipping from Amazon, etc...... the kind of service it sounds like Mike has always provided. I just freaked out and didn't think about trying to figure out why such a reputable seller wasn't living up to what I expected until AFTER I'd posted the feedback.
Live and learn.....

Gotta say, looking around this forum - and other places on the web - the uke community seems warm and cozy..... a nice place to be. Glad I stumbled into it from a computer in Georgia....

and there are many of us from Georgia here.

Mike, wishing you the best. As someone who does eBay professionally and has heard all the horror stories, here are some things to keep in mind. If you have anyone you can recruit to help with dome of the data entry, I'd really recommend it:

- It is important to get those delivery confirmation numbers in Paypal. If they aren't there or aren't accurate, the buyer can get a refund if they file a claim, even if they did get their item.
- Make sure all payments over $250 are sent with signature confirmation. Otherwise, even if delivery confirmation shows it was delivered, they can say they never got it and Paypal will take the money back.
- Send requests for feedback revisions whenever you can for people who do gt their items delivered. The negatives themselves don't matter much, but the low stars and the open cases can hurt you if you get too. When you're able to sell again, eBay might restrict your account.
- With the higher fees on eBay now and any potential restriction, I'd still recommend eCrater and Bonanza as other venues to sell on if you are looking in the future. You can always sell on multiple venues and not worry as much if you have problems on one.

Hoping for better health for you soon and please try not to stress too much! eBay can be a real pain sometimes but it sounds like you do have people who can help you with things.

You have always been the soul of honesty. When I first started buying from you something didn't arrive on time and you paid the shipping. Another time you let me pay after I had received it. You have always been the best. I wish you health and damn it folks give him some peace of mind. MGM has been one of the best things to ever come a uker's way.---sincerely, kimosabe

I understnad what you are going though, i have been very ill in a disabling way for a long time and know he frustration of people expecting you 'perform' as well as everyone else, when its beyond your control, and to do things you just cant do and getting angry at you for it. Its a very hurtful hard thing and very stressful to be kicked when you are down. But you do have a lot of supporters too from what I am reading. Hope things get better for you and you feel better.

To any new forum member wondering about Mike:

I have purchase from him:

My Kamaka Pineapple
My Kiwaya KTS4
My Ohana SK35
My Dolphin

..and others that I've moved through my collection.

Mike is reliable and knows his business. I hope you'll give him the benefit of the doubt. He deserves your understanding.

Last edited:
I purchased my Kala from Mike, at the end of 2010. We spoke on the phone, I told him what I was looking for, and what my budget was. he suggested the Cedar Top Tenor model, although it was more than I really had budgeted, and I took his advice. I unhesitatingly gave him my credit card number over the phone.

Two days later, the ukulele was sitting at my delivery site. (They closed early on the day it was delivered, so I had to wait for the weekend before I got it.)

I have never been disappointed in Mike. He was knowledgeable, understanding, and had a better grasp of what I needed than I did. And he took care of me.

When our phone conversation started, we were strangers. When we hung up, I felt like I'd been talking to an old friend.

There is a phrase I heard frequently when I visited Hawaii, years ago. I never really understood it, until now.

MusicGuyMic is "Da Kine". Or, as we'd say in Yiddish, he's a Mensch. (Just like Tudorp!)

Best wishes, Mike. I'll always give you the best feedback score possible!

-Kurt

Mike, I remember panicing because I couln't find any more freemont blacks like I had bought from you earlier. Well sent a message and got a reply same day off your pda .wala you put a set up that day. OH crap I forgot I need a low g sent another msg, got another personal reply and the low g was put on e bay. Mike . I post this because its wasn't a big deal to anyone but me and you took the time to take care of a customers nickel dime problems ASAP. My uke makes me smile as I sit in my room playing, and the freemonts made me smile more. I mention this as It has helped me through a bout with cancer for the past couple of years and you have helped make it better for me. You attention to the details and caring for your customers was so important in so many ways that even you were never aware of. So now its time to take care of self. The blessings of the lord upon you my fellow uker , try to remember to smile.

Top Bottom