Contest: Healing Powers of the Uke for Musicguymic

chrimess

Reaction score
INTRO

As many of you will have heard, the merchant of Alohas, Musicguymic has recently closed shop due to an illness.
Even though I never had a chance to purchase from him, I understand that he has been a very influencial member of the Ukulele community and a wonderful spreader of Alohas. I therefore consider it my responsibility to honor his service with this humble gesture.

RULES

Please post your one-take videos (at least one prominently featured ukulele required) on youtube.com and post the link in this thread. Also, pls introduce yourself, your entry (as many as you like are allowed) and a get-well wish for Musicguymic. The deadline is Saturday, May 14th at high-noon EST. I will judge with a small panel, criteria are musicality, passion for the uke and overall performance- no comedy required, however, of course, that has healing powers, too. Winners will be announced NLT Tuesday, May 17th.

PRIZES
While the desire to spread healing should be enough, I understand that incentives work, so I will award:
1st prize: 25 USD AMAZON gift card
2nd prize: 15 USD AMAZON gift card
3rd prize: 10 USD AMAZON gift card

More importantly, I will create a playlist for Musicguymic in the ranked running order of the contest.

Good Luck!

I will do this as soon as I get home from work. Mike is a great guy and needs our help.

Will MGM be able to see all the entries, not just the winning ones? He should. THey will all be made with love.

Great idea!

I'll try to get my kids' group involved, b/c half of our ukes are from MGM!

What an awesome idea...these are the things that helps mae the UU the BEST uke site in the world!!! Mahalo for the idea and the great prizes!!!

God is with you, musicguymic.

I'm fairly new and don't know musicguymic, but I poked around the forums, and he seems like one of those all-around good guys. I hope this video makes him smile and finds him in better health, whatever the ailment may be.

Three Little Birds for MusicGuyMic. It's not perfect, I actually just worked from the chords and tried to arrange it myself, so its a little shaky. But it doesn't have to be perfect, it carries the same message. Every little thing is gonna be alright.

Uncle LeRoy, got a big smile out of your video. :D

Phil, it sure made me happy! Nice rendition. :)

ReaderMo, nice fingerpicking on that pineapple. :cool:

Last edited:
hi gang. thanks for a really worthwhile thing chrimess. I wanted to sing a Hawaiian song but this is the closest I've got. Bless you Mike, many prayers are being sent up for you.

Eugene,
I couldn't help pickin' up the Fluke and Jammin' along with you. If we are ever on the same continent it would be an honor to jam with you brother....Nicely done. MGM will love it.

Cheers Uncle, the pleasure would be mine too my friend. :)

Howdy folks-

A quick introduction - since this is one of my first posts....

I've been a casual guitar player for years and just started really taking it seriously the past several months - trying to learn the fundamentals of technique I've been ignoring for 15 years.... coming from a bluegrass/ rock/ country background, I've really gotten into the challenge of playing jazz and I'm having a blast. At my 7 year old daughter's urging, I bought a uke and stumbled into MGM's misfortunes when I was one of the ebay buyers whose shipment was delayed. Long story short, I found this forum, got a great starter uke from Mike, and the rest is history. Thought this thread looked like a good opportunity to introduce myself and say thanks to Mike for my new instrument.

Of course I picked a song I can't really sing and handling the little uke is still kind of like trying to thread a needle with steel cable. Starting to get the strum down, though, and having fun. Hope you like it and any comments on technique are more than welcome....

Bill

Top Bottom