New Ukes: Kamaka HF-3 and Martin S-1

Jeez, I read Tudorp's thread and have to wipe away a tear, and I look at this and start drooling. What a mess this is all causing.

Very beautiful acquisitions, happy playing!

You mentioned the action change on the Kamaka when you switched to the Worths (the “C” string was a bit lower), and I was wondering how the Martin’s action changed when you switched out the factory Martin-brand strings for the Aquila’s. I’ve got a 2 year-old Martin K3 that has only seen Martin replacement strings, and I am thinking I might like the sound of the Aquila’s better (they are what I use on my Concert-sized ukes). Thoughts?

Whilst the S1 will probably benefit from Aquila Strings, the K3 certainly won't (IMHO). For the K3 I would try Worth CM Strings, or why not put on the new Martin fluoro-carbon strings that are fitted to the new Martin instruments that have just been announced?

Great new ukes and pics. How are you enjoying your new ukes? The kamaka looks so beautiful it really makes me want to buy one.

Very beautiful acquisitions, happy playing!

You mentioned the action change on the Kamaka when you switched to the Worths (the “C” string was a bit lower), and I was wondering how the Martin’s action changed when you switched out the factory Martin-brand strings for the Aquila’s. I’ve got a 2 year-old Martin K3 that has only seen Martin replacement strings, and I am thinking I might like the sound of the Aquila’s better (they are what I use on my Concert-sized ukes). Thoughts?

Well the action on the Martin didn't change. In fact the stock strings were thinner as I had mentioned before and the nut slot for the C string is a bit narrow. So the Aquila string does not completely fit in the slot causing it to stick up a bit. So I'll try to get it widened at some point, but as of now it doesn't affect anything...still plays and intonates fine.

Could we possibly have a sound sample of the Martin S1? :D

I'll hopefully try to get something up this weekend.

Great new ukes and pics. How are you enjoying your new ukes?

Enjoying them immensely...just wish I had more time in the day to spend with them!

Top Bottom