Ukuleles in Movies

i think there is one on the cover of the 50 first dates. adam sandler holds it in his hands

There's one in the Lion King haha. When Timon was trying to create a diversion or something....

I went to Orlando this past week and Universal Studios has a uke that Lucille Ball played! She used it in an episode of "I Love Lucy" to play "Five Foot Two". I thought it was really neat-- it's an old Harmony soprano.

IMG_2188.jpg

[hijacking]
in the movie the day lucy lost her memory is my birthday, october 13th.the guy on the jet ski in the beginning is my dad's friend, adam sandler wore a matsumoto's shave ice shirt, and the scene with the dock was shot less than a mile from my house. the scenes w/ the boat were shot in practically my backyard; kaneohe bay, adam sandler worked at sea life park, a real "oceanarium" here. i loved this movie because (to me) it most accurately portrayed hawaii for what it is as i have come to know it.
[/hijacking]
<jacked the hijacker>
My buddy Matt was living in HI when the movie was taped and was out surfing one day when all of a sudden Adam Sandler paddles out next to him and starts talking. He got some pics with Sandler to prove it. I don't think I would have believed him otherwise. Hehe.
</jacked

In "Shallow Hal", Leeboy? idk his name, but the big guy plays a uke in one of the scenes when Hal goes looking for Rosemary.

Oh and Lilo and Stitch haha yay animated ukes. xP

His name is Li'i Boy Shintani. He's from Niihau and lives close to me. Used to talk story with him all the time, but neva see him long time.

Here's the GREAT ONE with his spruce-top (sopranino?).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEOmrBuAcMc

Check out the rest of the video for un-ukulele related goodness. My Guitar Gently Weeps (on guitar) by a LEGENDARY 1970s guitarist, and a rare finale introduced by Ed Sullivan!

In "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" when Eddie Valiant is going through the old pictures of him and his brother on vacation, they are both playing ukuleles.

... it was on cable the other day.

In the Pixies reunion documentary there's a few shots of them on the tour bus with Frank Black and his ukulele.

There's a little bit of him playing at around the 1:55 mark for the soundtrack that Joey Santiago's working on.

and in the True History of the Traveling Wilbury's at one point Tom Petty talks about them sitting around all night having fun & playing ukes. (I didn't hunt it down, but you can watch it all for yourself if you want. It's interesting-ish)

It's not a movie, but on "Scrubs" they had ukes a couple times. At the end of the episode "My Way Home," one of the Worthless Peons is playing "Somewhere Over the Rainbow." And in a couple recent episodes, Ted got a uke-playing girlfriend who did a couple songs.

There are several sightings of a "Sheriff Woody" ukulele in Toy Story 2.

In the movie version of "Guys and Dolls", there's a music store on the set with a bunch of multi-colored ukes hanging in the window. It's seen throughout the film.

JJ

I watched "Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story" the other night with my son. At the end there is a montage of scenes from Dewey's life as he sings at the lifetime achievement awards. One shot is Dewey playing his guitar and his father—who has been cut in half with a macheté—playing ukulele.

My 13 year old son, who is amused/horrified, by my ukulele, saw it at the same time and grumbled, "DON'T say it."

Teenagers are fun.

Top Bottom