Kamaka Pineapple Ukulele

kim009

Reaction score
I can not decide between a vintage Kamaka Pineapple Ukulele (vintage 1930 with a blue label inside that says:KAMAKA / SPECIAL / PINEAPPLE / UKULELE" at top, on left side it reads "HAWAII'S / FINEST / UKULELE," on the right side is "PAT. JAN. 3., 1928 / No. 74178 / Strictly / Handmade By / S.K. KAMAKA," at bottom of label is "MADE IN / HONOLULU / HAWAII," versus buying a new Kamaka Pineapple. The vintage runs about $175 more than a new one would. The difference in price is relative to me, I am just looking for the better of the ukuleles. Thanks everyone in advance for your advice and help.

I tried a uke in Hilo last month that sounds just like what you're talking about. It felt and sounded wonderful but I couldn't justify the cost. The next day I ended up buying a new Kamaka pineapple in Honolulu. I was told the sound of the new one was "sharper" but I still think fondly of that older one. It just had a different "vibe".

IMHO, I like the sound of the newer model Kamakas more than the vintage ones. You should PM mmstan for his thoughts.

I haven't played that particular vintage Kamaka, but I've played many vintage Kamakas as well as many new ones (including several brand-spankin'-new pineapples). FWIW, the only ones that have ever made it home with me have been new.

The vintage ones definitely have a "cool factor" - especially the one you mention. For a collector's piece, it would be worth having. But for an everyday player, I'd go for new.

Top Bottom