What Ukulele are you currently playing?

I'm supposed to pick just one?

I alternate. I've got five ukes (sad, for someone who's basically a beginner) and I'll usually switch through two or three of them whenever I sit down to play.

The way I see it, every uke has something special to bring to the table.

My Kala KA-S is the pretty one, the one that really sings.
My Mitchell Concert is quiet and dulcet and smooth.
My Republic Concert, a resonator, growls and screams and howls.
My Ovation Soprano is for when I feel like going electric.
My cigar box concert-- my newest acquisition-- has a unique plunky voice, and has (by far) the widest neck, so she's great for exercising the fingers.

My cigar box concert-- my newest acquisition-- has a unique plunky voice, and has (by far) the widest neck, so she's great for exercising the fingers.

hey tad, how are you enjoying your new cigar box uke? any photos? likes, dislikes?

thanks!

hey tad, how are you enjoying your new cigar box uke? any photos? likes, dislikes?

thanks!

A preliminary review is going up tomorrow, I think.

Tonight, I really need to finish this final, so my semester's over.

This morning I did a quick little YouTube video on my Bushman Engelmann Concert.

My husband just installed a Mi-Si pick-up in it on Sunday, and tonight will be the first time I'll be playing it on stage.

Just in case there's a problem, I'll be bringing my other uke, too.

Kim

Hopelessy Devoted To U(ke)
http://www.YouTube.com/user/SailQwest

Last edited:
Currently playing a Kamaka Tenor 4-string (HF-3). Picked it up at Scotty's Music on Kauai. Love it. :)

Gibson T-1 tenor uke.

My new Kanile'a

My recent purchase of a Kanile'a Concert has taken all my attention! This is an amazing instrument, beautiful sound and quality.

I am loving my cedar top mango sided Pono tenor. It is the one that I recorded Stairway to Heaven on when I got it. The only one that Pono made too...sort of a "custom"...haha. It has great projection and rich sound.

A close second is the Koaloha super-concert.

now I play on my tenor Pono PKTE1 :music:

geeze, everyone has such nice ukuleles...

all i have right now is a uilani by pignose. Just a cheap ol' uke. one day i;ll get a good one. i hope. lol

Tomorrow I'll be playing an aqua colored Kala tenor, ya know, because the color effects the sound. ;) Hopefully MGM put the strings on that I wanted - either high g Aquilas or low G IF he had that elusive unwound low G aquila. Nothing wound. :)

Tomorrow I'll be playing an aqua colored Kala tenor, ya know, because the color effects the sound. ;) Hopefully MGM put the strings on that I wanted - either high g Aquilas or low G IF he had that elusive unwound low G aquila. Nothing wound. :)

I think MGM's default strings are the Aquilas.

As for me, I just strung my Harmony soprano with Low-G Aquilas I really like the sound.

I bought Guadalupe high G wound strings (EDIT: They're called "Fiber-core" ) and put them on my Martin S-0 soprano and I think they sound better than the Aquilas. They're featured on my "Hang on Little Tomato" video.

Last edited:
I use mostly my Kala TEBK and I've gotten Aquilas on them. I play this when I go anywhere.

I mess around with my Mahalo (lol.) baritone which I restrung GCEA (High G). I play this one when it's a nice warm day in my garden. Considering tuning it low G. Can you get low G baritone strings?

Top Bottom