Quit smoking?

tainauke

Reaction score
Hello all,

Has anyone here quit smoking? If so, any tips?

I'm really scared about the weight gaining and of becoming a heinous bi***.
I'm thinking of using nicotine patches, the 25 mg that have been put out in the market in France recently. I'm a heavy smoker (1 pack 1/2 per day...).

Thanks for any tips you may have!

I stopped three years ago after smoking for thirty five years. (Started when I was 11). The best way for me was to not have a cigarette followed by not having another one!

It's hell for the first couple of months. I deliberately kept drinking alcohol to push myself and overcome the "I can't drink without smoking" thing.

My Missus has been using nicotine lozenges for two and a half years now. Yes, she's addicted to them. Still, they're not ciggies.

Good luck my friend, I've never heard of a non-smoking Frenchman before.

Oh, and I haven't put any weight on. Just eat fruit and raw carrot.

I quit a few years ago.

First stage was to go away on vacation (stayed with non-smoking family) where I "pretended" to myself that I was a non-smoker, and kept busy doing touristy things or hanging out with family. That got me through the first and most hellish part.

Then when I came back I just kept telling myself that I was now a non-smoker. This was important because once you see yourself as a non-smoker, the idea of having just one more cigarette, or just a drag off a smoke seems ridiculous. Would a non-smoker ever consider having just one cigarette?

The other thing that I did was ask myself this question whenever I was close to breaking, "what is the absolute worse thing that will happen to me if I DON'T have a cigarette now?" and the next question, "what are the WORST things that can happen if I do start smoking again?"

Lastly, to stay a non-smoker I've borrowed a concept from AA and other addiction treatments. I've recognized that I will ALWAYS be addicted to cigarettes, which means the only way to guarantee to remain smoke-free is to NEVER smoke again.

Hope that helps. Remember that there is not just one way to do this, and that what worked for me may or may not work for you. It took me 10 years of stopping and starting again before i finally managed to "quit for good" - and even though I have no desire for cigarettes at all now, I still live in terror of the temptation to start again

I started when I was 13 I quit almost 14 years ago. I cant even remeber what its like to smoke now. I used the patch to get over the hump. It was the only time I ever tried to quit.

I would stay away from people who smoke for a few months. I too was a heavy smoker 1 to 1.5 packs a day. It will get easier every day

Good luck and dont give up you can do it!

I gave up 25 years ago, after several failed attempts.

Good luck, it is very well worth it.

I had to have a trigger to make it happen for me, a large motivator. My wife never smoked. We were in our thirties, and she said that she would have kids on certain conditions, one being that I gave up smoking. From that day to this I never smoked again. Find a good enough reason to not smoke and you'll succeed. Don't worry about the weight gain, that's manageable. Don't worry about getting cranky, the world likes cranky non-smokers better than smiling smokers.

Have you tried the scare tactic....watch those diseased lungs atopsy photos of 50 year old abusers ...if that don't make you quit...nothing will....

A lifetime heavy smoker, I quit 12 years ago using 'Zyban' the anti-smoking version of the
anti-depressant "Wellbutrin." For me very powerful, could not have done it otherwise.

Don't be shamed by or frightened away by the prospect of something like this.
Newer, better drugs may be available now and it is important that you find the one that matches your chemistry.
For me the Zyban had the effect of impairing my "impulse control" leading to a couple of embarrassing moments
and attendant apologies. So, like all powerful drugs, caution is called for. Worth it for me.

Keep at it and best of luck to you.

I've been smoke free since last January. Caught a bad cold and while I was sick, just went cold turkey. I had quit once before while I was in the service and that didn't work out too well, especially when you're on a short TDY. There are urges but manage to steer away from them and now it really doesn't bother me. My friends at work smoke and I join them in the smoking area during breaks and lunches I guess to reinforce not smoking. No pressure, so it's cool. I guess if you really wanna quit, you just gotta do it without any excuses. Yup, it's a bitch but it's your life and your decision.

I quit cold turkey. Sounds trite but I took it one day at a time. My only goal was to not smoke today. After nit smoking for a while, it becomes easier but you still get the cravings. I also used an iPhone app called "since I quit." it keeps track of the time you are smoke free, how many cigarettes you would have smoked, and how much you would have spent. Next, take the money you would have spent on smokes and save it go buy more ukuleles. Good luck.

I was a 27 year 1.5 pack a day smoker...then after seeing 'The Tourist' with Johnny Depp and Angelina Jolee I started using electronic cigs. Started on Feb 14th of this year and never looked back. Good Luck!

Hey quitting smoking is easy. I've done it hundreds of times...he he

Tough stuff. I've spent most of my adult life battling with different addictions, smoking being one of them. Cold turkey was the only way for me. I've been off them nearly 3 months now and still am tempted. Hide yourself in a hole for the first few days with plenty of food and things to distract you. Use the uke to take your mind off the cravings too, as time passes quickly when your holding a uke.

For me it has also meant having to avoid parties where there is alcohol and avoid people who smoke. I applaud those who are able to manage this balance but my will power is not strong enough to resist such temptations in the wrong environment.

Don't be too hard on yourself. If you've been smoking a long time chances are it may take you a few go's at it. For me, a huge motivator was health fears. You really do need to have a strong conviction, a real reason.

All the best tainauke.

I quit cold turkey 32 years ago. I had tried several times to cut back and could not do it. Do not assume that you can't do it... it can be done. If at first you don't succeed try try again! I'm glad I did... best of luck to you.

I used chewing tobacco for 25 years. I went on a trip to New York City, and ran out of tobacco. Chewing tobacco is not easy to find in NewYork City so I was forced to go cold turkey for 4 days. I just never bought any after that. I did use a large quantity of peppermint. Mostly Altoids, it was difficult but I did not gain extra weight.

Many have replied here reporting their 'cold turkey' stories.
My compliments to you all, very strong.

This sends, unintentionally i believe, the message that this is THE way, or
possibly the standard for comparison against which other methods might
reflect poorly on the reforming smoker. Not accusing, just sayin'.

If the new medicines work, they might make it if not simply easier,
but in fact possible for one extremely addicted. We are all different.

Also, I think the new medicines are a better first try than alternate
forms of nicotine; I haven't seen anyone any of several people
using the gum actually quit. I could be wrong on this for you.
I was wrong once, in 1968, if I remember correctly.

Has anyone here quit smoking? If so, any tips?
Yes: in 1974. Smartest thing I ever did. Went cold turkey - tough but character-building.

Tip: Stick with it. After three-six months you can taste food again, your breath doesn't stink, your clothes don't stink, you can walk up a flight of stairs without panting, the yellow starts to fade from your fingers... and you feel so good you can't remember why you quit. So you light up again. And that starts the cycle of addiction. For me the 3-6 month period was the toughest to get past, and I tried several times before it worked.

Keep reminding yourself that tobacco is as addictive as heroin.

The weight gain thing is a myth. It only happens if you already eat crap. Hungry? Have an apple, or an orange. Eat sunflower seeds - they have chemicals that help reduce nicotine craving. Don't turn to ice cream or french fries or chocolate bars or pizza or any of that garbage. Don't drink soda pop or that syrupy junk. Stick to milk, unsweetened juices or water (or unsweetended tea and coffee). You can avoid weight gain by eating properly and sensibly.

Helps if you don't hang out with smokers or in places where smokeing is allowed.

Smoking is the androgynous drug. Women look butchy when smoking, men look feminine. It reduces gender distinctions. And of course it prematurely ages smokers. Aside from the numerous diseases associated with smoking (most of which are fatal), looking old and wrinkled is the most visible sign of being a smoker. You look better, more attractive when you don't smoke. Plus you don't smell like an old ashtray.

And let me tell you from experience as a non-smoker: kissing a smoker is like licking that ashtray. Yuck.

The WHO predicts 6 million people will die because of tobacco this year, 440,000 in the USA alone. Many more will sicken and die from second- and third-hand smoke. It's a vile drug.

Smoking in Ontario is banned in bars and restaurants. It's a lot easier to quit when you can go into pubs where no one smokes indoors and smokers have to flee outside to light up.

A lifetime heavy smoker, I quit 12 years ago using 'Zyban' the anti-smoking version of the
anti-depressant "Wellbutrin." For me very powerful, could not have done it otherwise.

Don't be shamed by or frightened away by the prospect of something like this.
Newer, better drugs may be available now and it is important that you find the one that matches your chemistry.
For me the Zyban had the effect of impairing my "impulse control" leading to a couple of embarrassing moments
and attendant apologies. So, like all powerful drugs, caution is called for. Worth it for me.

Keep at it and best of luck to you.

Zyban worked for me after many failed attempts with everything else.

The wierdest method I've heard was carrying around a gallon jug of water with you everywhere. It was supposed to be a constant reminder that you quit smoking and drinking water gives you something to do when you got a craving. Don't know if it worked for the guy, but I thought it was an intersting approach.

Putting a photo of a smokers lung of the fridge might give you some more incentive.

The only way to quit smoking is to smoke your very last cigarette - ever.

How you get there and when you get there is up to you. Lots of good ideas here. If one way doesn't work for you then try another. One day you WILL smoke that last cigarette, as long as you keep trying and never give up.

Go for it and Good luck!!!

My missuss tried Zyban it drove her bonkers....... Well actually I did that, Zyban just put the icing on the cake

I tried zyban and it was weird ...and scary. It was just like speed...couldn't sleep...didn't eat...lost weight....manic energy and edgy aggressive tendencies...hearrt palpitations...was on it for 2 &1/2weeks and got off em real quick. A dangerous drug with significant side effects to be sure.

Top Bottom