Kohala KK-C by Lanikai, from Costco

I received a Kohala Concert Ukelele pack w/gig bag & electronic tuner which came from Costco. Mine is labeled as Model #K2-C. It differs a little from the one shown, most notably the bridge is less blocky and mine doesn't have quite as striking of a pattern to the top and back. Now that the strings are starting to set in, I'd say it plays and sounds pretty good. Far better than the cheap instruments I played in my youth. Not a truly professional grade instrument, but I gotta say it's awfully nice for $100. I started out playing ukelele when I was a kid in the '60's but moved on to guitar, banjo and bass, so I haven't played a uke since about 1968. I had to learn Isreal Kamakawiwo'ole's version (kinda) of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow/What a Wonderful World" straight away and I'm just now putting the finishing touches on my transcription of Willie Nelson's version of Irving Berlin's "Blue Skies". Long story short. I'm loving my new little toy. I am considering changing out the strings as was suggested to try for a little brighter tone. the ghs strings that came with it are okay, but I think I'd like a livelier sound. Suggestions?

Slap a set of Aquilas on that baby, it'll brighten right up!

typeosa Balistes

i bought a couple of these to have around the house when others want to try and play.

There is a Costco outlet here (they sell what is taken back to Costco and is resellable)

Paid $50 each for them....

Put Aquilas on first thing....made a huge difference!!!

Slap a set of Aquilas on that baby, it'll brighten right up!

I'm debating whether or not to go to the low G strings. My inclination is yes. Especially if the new strings lighten the tone. I realize it's a different sound. I kind of like the traditional high G sound, but I the low G will give me more options in playing a bass line. Opinions?

Whoo Hoo. First post. Greetings all!

My friend gave me a uke a couple years ago, yep, the Kohala KK-C, with the blue gig bag and a tuner. I have rediscovered it recently and have been playing daily, what a complete blast! So light weight, perfect intonation and with a set of good strings this thing sounds so sweet. It records really well too! Balanced throughout the range of notes and just the right amount of percussion and tone. I can't believe how fun this ukulele is! Seeing how inexpensive they are makes me smile even more!

I am a guitar, dobro and mandolin player so my chops are already there and playing scales and chords on this thing is pretty intuitive. The GREAT thing about it is the way you can play all sorts of wierd chords that wouldn't necessarily sound great on other instruments but somehow work on the uke. And effortless slides and bends.

I'm in love with my uke! Whoo Hoo!

Top Bottom