Does anyone use the thumb for chords??

Dan Uke

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I noticed that certain chords seem easier to play w/ the thumb. I can play the chord normally but can't switch fingers quickly enough to play a song. I think it's mostly jazz chords. Just wondering

I do sometimes. Not often.

I don't feel good about it. :)

JJ

I do sometimes as well because it leaves my fingers free.

Sometimes...

Yes, I do quite a lot. I know it's probably not the correct technique, but it's comfortable for me, so I don't mind.

In my own case, I think it comes from being a guitarist and using the thumb to alternate bass notes in chords, so that's where I picked it up.

I suppose I would say do whatever you're most comfortable with :)

Anna

I do it all the time. I've been doing it for 35 years. I'm self-taught, so I didn't have anyone around to tell me that I shouldn't do it. And as a result, I'm perfectly comfortable playing chords like E and Fm7 that many people try to avoid. There's not a thing wrong with using your thumb. You still have to practice to do it cleanly, and to get to and from chords in whatever song you're playing, but there's a lot of things I can play easily that would be very difficult to play without using my thumb. Use every weapon in your arsenal to play what you're trying to play. Don't limit your abilities and options because someone else told you to.

I use my thumb to barre the E and the 6664 F#. And I use my thumb a lot on the G string, even on simple chords like Am or Dm, to leave me with fingers free to pick out notes. With a low G string, I also sometimes play bass notes using my thumb -- the video "Uncle Wheels" on my YouTube page is an example.

To me, playing is playing clear notes at the right time in the right order. I'm sure some will balk at this. So be it.

The only thing is that if you use certain techniques to play certain notes or chords, it may limit you in terms of speed or accuracy. Using your thumb means orbiting the neck using the arc of your hand (area between thumb and index). This extra movement adds strain to the wrist, takes time, and to shift to another chord you've another large movement that takes time.

If you can play the songs you want to play and play, say, D, by barring with your thumb, then all the power to you. You're playing the song. The timing is spot on. It sounds good. It's music!

I know, though, that the songs I enjoy playing (almost all involve finger picking and sliding from the first to the 10th or 14th fret) require more left hand mobility than beginner strumming-only tunes that only involve the first four frets... so I forced myself to acquire more agile finger positions. Was painful. Took time. My neighbours hate me as my uke sounded like a molested rodent for weeks. But I got there.

I avoid using my thumb and try keeping it placed on the back of the neck. When playing along, if I were to notice the thumb out of position, I gently re-position it. Keeping the thumb on the back of the neck puts my other fingers in better position for me. Having said that, whatever makes you comfortable is OK.

I use my thumb for the E-chord :p I was taught basic chords by a teacher, and I asked him if I could and he said it wasn't correct, but whatever is easiest is fine. I have a Pono, which have beefier necks, so if you aren't used to it, it can make your wrist extremely sore..

This has been pretty well covered but I will add one note - something that is comfortable on one scale (soprano) may not work so well on a uke with a longer scale and wider fretboard (tenor). For this reason it's probably best to follow "conventional wisdom" and avoid use of the thumb if possible. On the other hand, if avoiding use of the thumb is going to make you avoid songs with certain chords, then by all means use the thumb. Clear as mud? :)

John

Since you mentioned jazz chords, watch this use of the thumb for otherwise impossible fretboard spanning grips. Happens for the first time at about :30 , then again at 1:10.

I gotta try those chords...that guy is amazing...when I hear these guys play, I would think they are playing guitar and not ukulele

Hendrix used his thumb a lot. So maybe, you could be the Henrix of the uke! If that's your goal.

I use my thumb a bit on guitar, but have never really done it on uke. Whatever works for you, but don't hurt yourself.

Top Bottom