Lanikai Solid AAA Koa Concert SKECGC Review

Gl8121

Reaction score
Hello, I have been playing on this ukulele for about 2 months now. I ordered it through guitar center and it took about 3 weeks to arrive but when I ordered it they did say it was out of stock. What originally made me want to take a second look at this concert was the fact it was all solid AAA Hawaiian Koa and it came with a built in Fishman sonitone pickup for only $470! Check out Overall Rating and final thoughts for the good, the bad, and the inbetween!

Features

Solid AAA Hawaiian Koa top, back, and sides.
Mahogony neck
19 frets
Satin Finish
Concert size
Bridge is rosewood with half circle inlays
Tuners are are open geared gold Grovers
Fretboard is rosewood with half circle inlays
Nut and Saddle are both bone (37 mm wide nut)
Headstock is slotted with Koa cap and it looks like painted on gold Lanikai logo
Rosettee is abalone or fake abalone
Binding is maple, purfling abalone or fake abalone
Rosewood/Maple/Rosewood skunk stripe from top of headstock all the way down the back to the base.

Sound

It has a nice melo sound with a little tweak of brightness. It is actually that classical Hawaiian ukulele sound that I think of when I think of Hawaii which is my first uke to sound like that to me.
Intonation seems to be right on.
I cant say enough about the fishman sonitone pickup. Love it, love it, love it!

Action, Fit & Finish (few minor problems here out of the box)

The action was horrible out of the box which I had to set up myself. I didnt really mind since I usually do some adjusting myself anyway.
The saddle and nut are bone. With the nut being 37 mm that took a little getting use to.
Very nice Koa wood for the front back and sides. There were some minor minor construction flaws. The maple binding on the back bottom where it comes together was not cut 100% flush and left a very very tiny pin head sized divet. There are also a few places around the purfling that looks a tad sloppy like it has been filled in due to not fitting together 100% correctly. (I am being really really picky here and most of these wouldnt be seen at first glance but they are still flaws) Nothing that affects the sound or play.
Bridge seems to be well made.
Frets are your average factory made and fitted frets w/no big problems
Nice Satin finish.

Overall Rating

I have been playing ukulele for about a 1 1/2 years, guitar for 19 years.
I also have a Locals soprano ukulele, a vietnam acacia tenor ukulele, Big Island Tenor ukulele, Lori Espanol Maple Tenor ukulele, Kala acacia Tenor ukulele, Taylor, Yairi, gibson, Paul Reed Smith, and fender guitars

I would buy this ukulele again with the fishman sonitone pickup included. If it were to come without the fishman pickup I would pass.

My Favorite feature is the Hawaiian Koa wood along with, you guessed it, the fishman sonitone pickup! With it being a solid Koa uke and only being about 3 months old the wood is still opening up and coming into its own and will only get better with time. I do already like the sound of it though. Construction should have been better. Even though it is not horrible ( I give it a 7.5 to 8 on construction) it should be better especially since I quote from the guitar center website "Nothing was spared from the attention that has come to be expected of Lanikai". Lanikai the wood is great, the sound is great and getting better, the pickup is great, but check in on your production plant in Indonesia (It could and should be better)!

Also (this is probably guitar centers fault) out of the box the action was horrible, the entire uke needed a cleaning and the fret board needed some good old guitar honey. Honestly I freaked out just a little when I first opened the box and saw all the work that had to be done with the setup, cleaning, and what such. However, it all turned out ok and I am very happy with my purchase!

Final Thoughts

Nice little concert uke with excellent Koa wood, great pickup, a few construction flaws but nothing that effects sound or play. In the end I am happy with my purchase.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 167
  • photo(3).jpg
    photo(3).jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 105
  • photo(4).jpg
    photo(4).jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 102
  • photo(1).jpg
    photo(1).jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 85
  • photo(2).jpg
    photo(2).jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 69
So I recently turned the satin finish into a semi-gloss finish using 3M finesse it II. I was very hesitant and thought it might melt my ukulele but after reading some other threads of others success I decided to go for it. I could not be more happy with the results. In my opinion it was a major upgrade aesthetically to this Uke. The sound has also got better with a little time but I didnt really have anything with the change of finish as with this being solid Koa. I will try to put a thread up with how I went about the finish change with pics in the luthier thread when I have the time.

Top Bottom