2011 Wine Country 'Ukulele Festival

Elainede

Reaction score
We're on for the fourth, annnaul Wine Country 'Ukulele Festival, September 9 - 11, in the beautiful Napa Valley.

James Hilll & Friends (Anne Davison, Aaron Keim, Gerald Ross, and Lil' Rev) will kick things off with a concert at the Napa Valley Opera House on Friday night. (Tickets will be available through the Opera House.)

Saturday and Sunday we're at the Upper Valley Campus of Napa Valley College in St. Helena for free music, workshops, and an 'ukulele marketplace from 10 - 5.

Instructors include James Hill, Aaron Keim, Gerald Ross, Lil Rev, Ken Middleton, Mandolyn May, Andy Andrews, Faith Ako, Steve Espaniola, Jim D'Ville, Dave Egan, Brook Adams, and more!

The festival ends with a no-cover, no-host, post-festival jam and open mic at Gott's Roadside (aka Taylor's Refresher) in St. Helena, from 6 - ?????

Free admission (except for the workshops), but a $15 wristband gets you preferred seating at the festival concert, and 3 raffle tickets.

Workshop registration has just opened. Enrollment is limited, so please register early.

Hope to see you there!

We may go, if time permits.

You've listed James Hill as one of the instructors, but your web site doesn't show him or his classes (http://winecountryukefest.com/instructors/). Do you have any updates on this? Thanks,

Doug

Same question here. I was planning to register this week, but if James Hill is going to be there again this year I'd like to be able to sign up for at least one of his workshops. Thanks!

You've listed James Hill as one of the instructors, but your web site doesn't show him or his classes (http://winecountryukefest.com/instructors/). Do you have any updates on this? Thanks,

Doug

Same question here. I was planning to register this week, but if James Hill is going to be there again this year I'd like to be able to sign up for at least one of his workshops. Thanks!

James Hill will be at the festival and will be doing a workshop called "Very, Very Sad Songs".

My partner and I will be there. Already made reservations; now if I could get the forms filled out and mailed that would be even better. Hoping for online registration next year: I'm not used to this paper thing!

Thanks for your patience. We just got this posted:

Very, Very Sad Songs
Do you find yourself whistling “You are My Sunshine” as you stroll down congested city streets in the middle of rush hour? When that red, red, robin just keeps on bobbin’, do you feel the urge to pull out your ukulele and join him? Do you sing in the rain? The long-term effects of playing too many happy ukulele songs are anybody’s guess. So here’s an opportunity to get a grip, stay balanced, and put a little melancholy in your step with this soul-crushing repertoire class: Very, Very Sad Songs. Hand-outs will be provided, but you’ll need to bring your own tissues. (Level 2-4)

It'll be held Saturday, Sept. 10 at 11:45 am

Tickets for James Hill & Friends Now Available

Tickets are on sale now for James Hill & Friends at the Napa Valley Opera House, Friday, Sept. 9. This year, James will be performing with Anne Davison, Lil' Rev, Gerald Ross and Aaron Keim. Last year's show was killer. This one might be even better. Plus, there's a VIP reception before the concert with a food & wine pairing.

Tickets ($25, $35 & $50) are available through the Opera House: http://winecountryukefest.com/friday-night-at-the-napa-valley-opera-house/ You can purchase them online, but I think you'll save a few bucks by purchasing them by phone: (707)226-7372.

Hey Elaine, are you looking for more performers/instructors? My good friend, Isaiah Holokahi (Bradda Izi) hosts plenny jams and teaches weekly classes in Vallejo. I'm sure he'd be interested.

Also, is the vendor section free this year, similar to the first year, but unlike last year's?

Aloha,

We are pretty much full up for instructors this year, but I might be able to find a spot on the performance stage for your pal on Sunday, "Aloha Day." So have him get in touch with me.

And, yes, the vendor section will be free this year. The live music at the college is also free but we are asking folks to purchase a wristband which will get them three raffle tix (value $15), preferred seating for the live music (up close and in the shade), and an opportunity to jam with the pros (priceless.) Everyone loves a free event, but the musicians and sound guys gotta eat, too.

Tickets On Sale for Flea by Night

Flea by Night flattened.jpg

Tickets are now on sale online for our Saturday Night event with the one and only Flea by Night Band, featuring Gerald Ross, Marv & Kathy Reitz, and James Hill on fiddle! $35 for music and wine tasting. $50 includes dinner. This is going to be nothing but fun!

Aloha,
...snipped... The live music at the college is also free but we are asking folks to purchase a wristband which will get them three raffle tix (value $15), preferred seating for the live music (up close and in the shade), and an opportunity to jam with the pros (priceless.)

Could you tell us a bit more about the after hours jam?

have been inactive on UU for a while - can't stay gone for long. Looking forward to seeing lots of folks at the WCUF.

Could you tell us a bit more about the after hours jam?

Sure. "After hours" just means after the official workshops are done at 3:30. On Saturday Gerald Ross (the original jam monster) will lead a Swing Band Jam with Kathy and Marv Reitz and whoever else wanders by from our illustrious pool of ukulele talent. On Sunday, Lil Rev and Aaron Keim will be leading a jugband jam....bring your own jug. Both jam sessions are free to join if you have the coveted wristband. To get the wristband you either have to buy the full-day workshop pass for that day or buy the wristband for $15 (you also get 3 raffle tix worth $15 when you buy the wristband.......).

The Swing Jam and I'm pretty sure the Jug Band jam will be a very inclusive affair. That was INclusive. The tunes will be easy to play for the beginner but interesting enough for the experienced jammer to stretch out and explore. See you there.

Anyone have any ideas on how to identify fellow UU members? It'd be nice to put a face to a username :) Being a newbie here, I missed out on a shirt so I'll probably wear my shirt from the 41st Ukulele Festival on Oahu and as stated to DougF in another post, I'm probably the biggest Japanese guy you've ever seen. Hope to meet many of you there.

-Gary

Top Bottom