The case on cases - Calton, Kamoa, Ameritage, Kamaka

Aloha!

Just a note to say we have changed our clear coat and it is now hammer strike resistant to damage!

Thanks for your feedback and business. We always strive to give you the best value and service.

SB

Aloha!

Just a note to say we have changed our clear coat and it is now hammer strike resistant to damage!

Thanks for your feedback and business. We always strive to give you the best value and service.

SB

Cool, I'm glad to hear it. That is my only (tiny) reservation about an otherwise wonderful case -- it is very susceptible to scratches and dings. I now have three of the Kamoa cases (my custom blue tenor, a yellow soprano, and a red tenor) so maybe one day I'll order one of the new hammer resistant ones! :) I have to say, I'm currently out of town and lugging around my Ameritage on this trip and the difference in weight is really noticeable. I'm spoiled by my Kamoa cases -- between the backpack straps and the light weight, they really are better (for me anyway) on vacation.

Aloha!

SB

Hi Samuel,

I'd love to get one of the new hammer-resistant cases for the wonderful Kamaka tenor I bought from you in April. What's the best way to order one? Thanks!

Mark

What are the standard colors for fiberglass cases?

On the Kamoa cases page there's only blue, red and yellow. On the home page is another pic that shows black and white. And I've seen silver in a youtube review.

fgcasebanner.jpg
Standard colors are black, silver, red, yellow and navy blue. What appears to be white in that photo is actually the silver. I have a custom case in a teal blue (though every picture I take of it makes it looks more like a deep powder blue, it actually is more turqouise in color in the correct lighting). And I believe they did a couple of customs in purple also.

I love Ameritage cases as much as the next guy (I have five of them), but I basically only use them for home storage (the humidifying vents inside is great). They're too damn heavy to take anywhere else.

If you think an Ameritage uke case is heavy, you should try an Ameritage guitar case. My Sakurai classical guitar lives in an Ameritage case and that pup is HEAVY. Worth it, though, for the protection it affords. It'd cost me nearly 9K to replace my Sakurai (which I could never afford today) and a new one wouldn't have the personality that a fine instrument develops over 35 years of being played and opening up. I also love the tweed with brown trim combination. I recently ordered an Ameritage look-alike tweed case for my soprano uke and, although not an Ameritage, it's sturdy and well built, so it should offer more than adequate protection.

After over fifty years of playing guitar and hauling plywood hardshell guitar cases (mostly for jumbos and dreadnaughts) around, any uke case feels like featherweight by comparison. Everything's relative.

If I could afford Ameritage cases for ALL my instruments, that's probably the way I'd go, but I have to say that the other cases reviewed in this thread have gotten my attention as well.

Last edited:
I've been interested in the Kamoa Tenor ukulele case (either carbon fiber, or Fiberglas), but no one could tell me if my KoAloha Sceptre Tenor would fit in one.So I just ordered a Ko'olau Oahu hardshell case from Hawaii Music Supply., based on Ronnie Aloha's experience.

-Kurt

I love Ameritage cases as much as the next guy (I have five of them), but I basically only use them for home storage (the humidifying vents inside is great). They're too damn heavy to take anywhere else.

+1 for this. My custom baritone came with an Ameritage case and I swear I will never take that thing anywhere - too heavy! I love a gig bag for going to uke lessons and I would use a Kala or other brand hardsided case (not the foam kind) if I wanted to take it on a plane for carry on. I won't be getting any more Ameritages. Now the Kamoa - that's tempting.

I just received a red Kamoa tenor case today and I am very happy with it. I don't know if it has the new "hammer resistant" finish (probably not since this seems like a very new feature), but it suits my needs for traveling quite well. The backpack straps are a major plus and will make for easy carrying. It's not the strongest case I have seen but I love the compact shape and the weight. I would highly recommend this case for traveling if you don't need lots of space for accessories.

Last edited:
I am saving up for an upgrade uke, and after that will start the real save up for a luthier built uke. I think these top of the line cases are a good fit for a custom built uke (I am thinking Moore Bettah...)

I know i'll probably get jumped on for saying this but personally I'd like to see it with better interior padding and stiffer construction.

I know i'll probably get jumped on for saying this but personally I'd like to see it with better interior padding and stiffer construction.

I would agree with you on that point, it does seem like it could use a little extra padding and maybe some added rigidity as well. All-in-all I think it performs nicely as a light and streamlined case though.....

Chuck,

I'll let you know how the frog does in the CF case. I am out of town for another week. I've not put the MB in the case yet because of the strong smell of the lining glue. In our dry climate, it will be well cured when I get home. I am going to use the tweed case for another uke and part with my cheapest case.

That case is Beautiful!

You always get the good stuff wickedwahine11!!!...

I would agree with you on that point, it does seem like it could use a little extra padding and maybe some added rigidity as well. All-in-all I think it performs nicely as a light and streamlined case though.....

I just got this case for my Tenor and if they wanna make improvements to the case this would be the thing they need to do, I can twist the case and its seems a little thin. The size of the case is wayyy smaller then my 2 other hard cases that I thought I recieved a concert case insted. If they added the stiffer contruction and the padding size can be a lil bit thicker and make it plush it'll do greater.

I can still fit my extra set of strings under the headstock area with my pillow of microfiber cloth too under there.
Love the design,color and concept....it just needs to be stronger in the protection.

I just got this case for my Tenor and if they wanna make improvements to the case this would be the thing they need to do, I can twist the case and its seems a little thin. The size of the case is wayyy smaller then my 2 other hard cases that I thought I recieved a concert case insted. If they added the stiffer contruction and the padding size can be a lil bit thicker and make it plush it'll do greater.

I can still fit my extra set of strings under the headstock area with my pillow of microfiber cloth too under there.
Love the design,color and concept....it just needs to be stronger in the protection.

Somehow in all the pronouns, which case is actually being discussed as needing to be stronger has been lost on me. Can you specify whether you're discussing the Kamoa fiberclass or carbon fiber case or some other case altogether? Thanks!

Somehow in all the pronouns, which case is actually being discussed as needing to be stronger has been lost on me. Can you specify whether you're discussing the Kamoa fiberclass or carbon fiber case or some other case altogether? Thanks!

sorry I ment the Kamoa fiberglass case.

Thanks! I'm considering buying one to travel with later this year, and I was wondering if people who have them like them.

It is good to travel with. I used my Ameritage on a trip recently and really missed the light weight and backpack straps of the Kamoa. Bear in mind though, I know I have heard the new ones are supposed to be stronger, but I have used my red tenor case twice (once to uke class and on one trip) and it already has chips missing, one big gouge and tons of scratches. So it started off pretty, but after only one trip my red one no longer is, and is destined to be covered with stickers.

It is good to travel with. I used my Ameritage on a trip recently and really missed the light weight and backpack straps of the Kamoa. Bear in mind though, I know I have heard the new ones are supposed to be stronger, but I have used my red tenor case twice (once to uke class and on one trip) and it already has chips missing, one big gouge and tons of scratches. So it started off pretty, but after only one trip my red one no longer is, and is destined to be covered with stickers.

Thanks for the input, Staci! I don't remember ... is your red case one of the new cases or one of the pre-chip resistant cases? I may end up traveling with an Oahu hard case.

Also to note, I dont know if I have one of the new ones or not....

heres the pic I got from Larry's music supply/Kamoa before they shipped it out to me.

img0204wo.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom