Lite Hard Case?

Ataraxia

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with the foam hard cases? I'm wondering if they're durable enough for shipping a product internationally. They seem to be a good compromise between durability and convenience. Are they waterproof like standard hard cases? Should I just go with a wooden hard case instead? I would like it to be well protected during shipping. Should I risk having something shipped internationally with just a gig-bag? Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks!

It really depends what additional shipping materials are used. I've had ukes shipped without a case but wrapped in bubble wrap in a cardboard box lined with Styrofoam and so far, I've not had a problem.

Not sure if this is what you're talking about, but WickedWahine did a review here of some light hard cases!

If I'm not right, sorry!

No worries, actually I mean the polyfoam cases like Kala makes. I believe the cases that he reviewed had a fiberglass body and are definitely water-resistant. Those cases look great though!

I had a polyfoam case for one of my ukes. I'd say it is much better protection than a gig bag but nowhere near on a par with a real hard case. I wouldn't trust a polyfoam case in checked luggage and for shipping I'd still double-box the item with good insulation between boxes. The cases are pretty good, but will crush or crack if some idiot stacks a heavy enough item on it.

As far water-proof - even most hard cases aren't water proof. If you want to protect the item from dehydration or excess humidity wrap it (outside the case) in a plastic bag sealed tightly. Avoid wrapping plastic directly against an instrument, though.

John

I had a polyfoam case for one of my ukes. I'd say it is much better protection than a gig bag but nowhere near on a par with a real hard case. I wouldn't trust a polyfoam case in checked luggage and for shipping I'd still double-box the item with good insulation between boxes. The cases are pretty good, but will crush or crack if some idiot stacks a heavy enough item on it.

As far water-proof - even most hard cases aren't water proof. If you want to protect the item from dehydration or excess humidity wrap it (outside the case) in a plastic bag sealed tightly. Avoid wrapping plastic directly against an instrument, though.

John

Excellent info! Thanks! Yeah, I agree. I should have have said "water-resistant". I wouldn't plan on walking in the rain with it, but if you get trapped in a brief shower with a hard-case, you have a good chance of coming out of it okay. Cloth bags collect moisture and do a poor job of protecting the instrument. I'm just not sure whether I should order the ukulele with a hard case or since it comes with a gig-bag, assume that it will make it here okay. I guess it's always better to be safe than sorry though!

Yes for shipping they are adequete...but still I would worry...you know how it is... ha ha they are light and yet bulky to carry...I like hard vinyl cases but they are quite heavy..but easy to clean.
It is nice when playing to use it as a foot prop..ha ha... there are good and bad points with all cases...as there is no perfect case yet..ha ha

Excellent info! Thanks! Yeah, I agree. I should have have said "water-resistant". I wouldn't plan on walking in the rain with it, but if you get trapped in a brief shower with a hard-case, you have a good chance of coming out of it okay. Cloth bags collect moisture and do a poor job of protecting the instrument. I'm just not sure whether I should order the ukulele with a hard case or since it comes with a gig-bag, assume that it will make it here okay. I guess it's always better to be safe than sorry though!

Oh, for that kind of water resistance I think the one I had would have been okay. It was some kind of treated canvas exterior - I know when I dribbled a bit of water on it from topping off a humidifier it beaded like there was some kind of fabric coating involved - the drops of water would just have soaked into untreated canvas.

John

If you can wait a little, I have a uke being shipped to me from the US to Australia in a polyfoam case and I'm intending to do an unboxing vid on arrival. Due in about a week or so. The case is in a cardboard box, not sure what else as far as protection.

Yes for shipping they are adequete...but still I would worry...you know how it is... ha ha they are light and yet bulky to carry...I like hard vinyl cases but they are quite heavy..but easy to clean.
It is nice when playing to use it as a foot prop..ha ha... there are good and bad points with all cases...as there is no perfect case yet..ha ha

So true.. The standard hard cases are a bit heavy to carry around but definitely offer the most protection. I find that I seldom take my instruments out in hard cases unless I'm going to as show, especially with my guitars.. haha. The polyfoam cases seem like a decent alternative.

So true.. The standard hard cases are a bit heavy to carry around but definitely offer the most protection. I find that I seldom take my instruments out in hard cases unless I'm going to as show, especially with my guitars.. haha. The polyfoam cases seem like a decent alternative.
For sure. :)

I have hard shelled cases for my classical guitars and they weigh a lot. Only had the original included gig bags with my other ukes but got a polyfoam for my Mainland that came caseless.

It's pretty thick, like 5" deep, but very lightweight and offers far more protection than a gig bag at a much lower cost than a hardshell. IMO, it's an excellent compromise between the two. :p

For sure. :)

I have hard shelled cases for my classical guitars and they weigh a lot. Only had the original included gig bags with my other ukes but got a polyfoam for my Mainland that came caseless.

It's pretty thick, like 5" deep, but very lightweight and offers far more protection than a gig bag at a much lower cost than a hardshell. IMO, it's an excellent compromise between the two. :p

Nice! My least favorite thing about a gig-bag is that the instrument always gets knocked out of tune while you carry it.

I hear you, I used to carry my Les Paul around in a coffin case, weighed a ton! Especially since I was always transporting my half-stack.

Top Bottom