Top 50 songs and chords for this site..

Thanks for the link. Some really nice tabs there.

Interesting demographic note in that list. Aside from Somewhere Over the Rainbow - and there are three of those - Here Comes The Sun and Hey Jude, I don't see any songs written before 1975 (and only the one written before 1965). Most seem to be from after 2000. No Bob Dylan, Rolling Stones, Animals, no folk music, no blues, no jazz, nothing that Ruth Etting or Rudy Vallee sang - mostly current pop. Not sure how much significance that has, but it suggests to me that the uke players requesting those tabs are younger (at least younger than I am). I look at the list and don't recognize somewhere around 40 of the titles or the performers.

Interesting demographic note in that list. Aside from Somewhere Over the Rainbow - and there are three of those - Here Comes The Sun and Hey Jude, I don't see any songs written before 1975 (and only the one written before 1965). Most seem to be from after 2000. No Bob Dylan, Rolling Stones, Animals, no folk music, no blues, no jazz, nothing that Ruth Etting or Rudy Vallee sang - mostly current pop. Not sure how much significance that has, but it suggests to me that the uke players requesting those tabs are younger (at least younger than I am). I look at the list and don't recognize somewhere around 40 of the titles or the performers.

Yeah, same feelings here Ian. Certainly not my style of music represented there either, but, as you say, it's a window in on the rapid boom of the uke movement with young folks who are clearly big online contributors and keen to share with others. There was only one song on that list in my top 50...shucks...guess this means we're getting old.
:eek:ld:

Interesting it's called ukulele-tabs.com
I only clicked through half a dozen of them but found no tabs, just chord charts,

I used to use that site a lot,. but it's now blocked in the UK, you can see the site, just not the chord charts or any of the actual tabs... sucks :(

I think I recognized about 5 songs, and maybe 3 artists. I clicked on one - "Just the way you are", and saw no tabs, most of the words replaced by "xxx", and no indication of whether the songs is the "Just the way you are" written by Billy Joel (although I don't think his song has the word "amazing" in it), or something else.

But thanks for the link, Stan. I may be able to use it someday.

-Kurt

I think I recognized about 5 songs, and maybe 3 artists. I clicked on one - "Just the way you are", and saw no tabs, most of the words replaced by "xxx", and no indication of whether the songs is the "Just the way you are" written by Billy Joel (although I don't think his song has the word "amazing" in it), or something else.

But thanks for the link, Stan. I may be able to use it someday.

-Kurt

The lyrics are crossed out because of copyright issues they had, same reason why the UK can no longer access content on the site

I suspect the demographic skewing may be due to the fact that they have an iPhone app for viewing the tabs.

At least Israel Kamakawiwo'ole is still on the top spot. :)

Since it's been blocked in the UK, even though you can get around it easily, I've stopped using the ukulele-tabs site and google searched for chords on ultimate guitar or chordie instead. There's plenty of other uke specific sites for tabs too.

Thanks so much for posting this stan. Does anybody know the strum pattern for the I'm yours by jason mraz listed on that site??

What ever happened to Hawaiian music played on the ukulele? :(

I like Hawaiian music, whether on guitar, slack key guitar, steel guitar, ukulele, or just singing - I just can't _do_ it, so I'm content to listen.

I find I have to be able to wrap myself around the language a song is in, to be able to at least think a little in that language to sing in it, and I need to sing the song to play the song. So I'm fine in English, French, and a little Latin, Italian, Spanish, and Yiddish/Hebrew. I need a whole lot more exposure to spoken Hawaiian before I can start singing the language, I'm afraid, and that won't happen for a number of years.

So I have to be content to play everything else on the Ukulele.

-Kurt

Top Bottom