What are some bad habits to avoid?

Avoid bathtub booze & wimminz.

Good booze O.K.

Drink & play O.K. with cheap ukes; possibly an excuse
for another instrument dedicated to this purpose.

Did I say wimminz?

Among other things,using your thumb for the D chord makes the switch to a G more difficult, try it yourself. And there's is no reason for name calling.

Among other things,using your thumb for the D chord makes the switch to a G more difficult, try it yourself. And there's is no reason for name calling.

I generally use my thumb on only the G string on the D and E chords for example, not to play the whole chord as in the video linked earlier. Even playing a tenor I have a tough time getting three fingers together to make those chords without my thumb. I don't want to start a flaming thumb war but Is this generally considered acceptable or should I attempt to break the habit while I am still a relatively new player. I'm prepared for a variety of opinions, but I'd be interested to know people's thoughts?

I generally use my thumb on only the G string on the D and E chords for example, not to play the whole chord as in the video linked earlier. Even playing a tenor I have a tough time getting three fingers together to make those chords without my thumb. I don't want to start a flaming thumb war but Is this generally considered acceptable or should I attempt to break the habit while I am still a relatively new player. I'm prepared for a variety of opinions, but I'd be interested to know people's thoughts?

Generally acceptable depends on who you ask. Personally, I think that using your thumb on the G string is the best way to make an E and the 6664 version of F# whenever you're using suspended chords. You just have to slide your ring finger up one fret to make a suspended chord, and slide it back down to resolve to the major chord.

hoosierhiver, I apologize for offending you. From my standpoint it's pretty insulting to be told that the way I play is wrong and unacceptable, that use of the thumb "will haunt you", when I have 35 years of evidence that it's perfectly workable.

hoosierhiver, I apologize for offending you. From my standpoint it's pretty insulting to be told that the way I play is wrong and unacceptable, that use of the thumb "will haunt you", when I have 35 years of evidence that it's perfectly workable.

Jimi Hendrix used his thumb a lot, I don't think it particularly haunted him.

Jimi Hendrix used his thumb a lot, I don't think it particularly haunted him.

Little known fact: In an online forum, someone insulted Jimi Hendrix's use of his thumb when playing. He was so haunted by the comment that he killed himself. Then they concocted some story about drugs and claimed that internet forums didn't exist in 1970. Now you know the truth.

my tip, don't play it in the bathroom. For obvious reasons.

What a FABULOUS idea! :cool: The acoustics will be awesome, as mine is tiled floor-to-ceiling! I just have to make sure the house is empty first!

There was a guy on UkeToob who had a series of videos recorded with him sitting on the toilet. Strictly for the acoustics, of course.

Edit: Here's one of his videos.

Last edited:

You know how to make the G chord first position....try it on the second fret of the GCE Strings...let me know if it works for you...

Guys leaving the seat on the toilet up...

Little known fact: In an online forum, someone insulted Jimi Hendrix's use of his thumb when playing. He was so haunted by the comment that he killed himself. Then they concocted some story about drugs and claimed that internet forums didn't exist in 1970. Now you know the truth.

LOL. Thx Hiddencross. Well played.

Don't let your strum hand break rhythm. If your fret hand fumbles, keep going. If your fret hand fumbles at the same spot consistently, slow down until you can do it without your strumming hand having to hesitate. Then speed up incrementally.

Don't practice while driving down the i-5 :)

unless the i5 is a parkinglot (which it is on occasion).

Just last month after getting stuck on the 210, I pulled my new eleuke out ot the trunk, plugged her into the mp3 input of the car stereo and basically entertained the cars around me for the next 45 minutes.

back on topic though, some of the reminders for myself:
avoid being lazy and check the tunning.

What a FABULOUS idea! :cool: The acoustics will be awesome, as mine is tiled floor-to-ceiling! I just have to make sure the house is empty first!

that is true- natural reverb!

I guess I should have been more specific and said "dont play it whilst using the comode". I was trying to put it more politely :eek:

for a practical tip, take care not to play with too sharp and angle on the fretting hand. try to curl your finger a lot over the neck , especialy at the knckle joint at the base of your fingers, instead of bending at the wrist, otherwise carpal tunnel and wrist problems are sure to follow. I learned the hard way from long years of guitar playing like that :(

Last edited:
Top Bottom