Looking to buy a banjolele

uke12349

Reaction score
Hi,
I've been looking around for a banjolele and can't seem to find any that I truly like in my price range. Is anyone willing to sell one for less than 300? Less than 250 would be prefered. Thanks!

+1 on the Finn- I have the non resonator version of it (it is Morgan, but they are the same) and I love it! My beater Banjo (even though it was more than my old banjoes) but it does the job just fine, and does not need constant adjustment like my old timers- you will be happy with one I am sure if you figure out set-up.
If you do manage to get one and it ain't quite right- I can hit you with the knowledge I have gleamed in the last eight months about these and get you going proper.
Cheers

That Eddie Finn looks like a great deal! I played one of the non resonator models over at Ukeeku'splace and was very impressed.
If you do manage to get one and it ain't quite right- I can hit you with the knowledge I have gleamed in the last eight months about these and get you going proper.
Cheers
TCK, have you ever posted a thread on your banjo uke setup knowledge?
My banjo uke is a different brand (GoldTone) but I'm always looking to gain info. Especially on setup. :cool:
Thanks
cb

Yeah, I know what you mean. I have been shopping for one too and I don't want one badly enough to buy those pricey ones either. MIMs sells the Eddie Finn. I think Morgan Monroe basically the same uke. Nice open back Eddie on ebay for $189 but I'd call MIMs first. Also, there are factory seconds floating around just as with most other ukes.

I have just posted this in a thread about Rally Banjoleles but it is clearly valid here as I am thinking about getting a Banjolele too. Eddie Finn is a new name on me as I'm in the UK and they dont appear to be on sale here except having looked at the pictures of some it is clear and if you look at the modle numbers it is even clearer this is another rebrand of the Dae Won factory

Here is the post I did 10 minutes ago
Rally is the brand name for the Dae Won factory (Korean owned but I think the actual factory is now in China)
here is thier website - http://www.straus.co.kr/banjos.htm
In addition to making thier own Rally branded Kit they make a lot of stuff that gets rebranded. I have seen then re branded as Barnes & Mullins, Countryman by Hofner, Tonewood and so on in fact I have been reliably informed the Gold Tone Resonator Range body is the Rally Dub 1 maple body (but i don't know if they make the necks too) Its almost a game to look for other banjo and uke banjoes then see it if you can pick it out of this catalogue.

I got a Mainland banjo uke if your interested?

hey lardy fatboy i checked out that site and it seems they have alot of banjos on there... which is what i am interested in at the moment and i am wondering.... do they sell them on there or what?

That Eddie Finn looks like a great deal! I played one of the non resonator models over at Ukeeku'splace and was very impressed.

TCK, have you ever posted a thread on your banjo uke setup knowledge?
My banjo uke is a different brand (GoldTone) but I'm always looking to gain info. Especially on setup. :cool:
Thanks
cb
I have made a few posts on how to set them up, but perhaps I should consolidate things under that banner. I will happily tell you what I know about how to do them for you.

I agree wholeheartedly, but I did not want to recommend something that he would have had to work on/pay someone to work on.

recently bought a Gold Tone BUT off Amazon and am very pleased with it.

I'm not saying they manufacture every part, but Gold Tone's are constructed practically in my back yard and I have visited their facility and seen where they construct them. They generally have a much, much better reputation than the Korean ukes like Morgan Monroe/Eddie Finn's, Rally, etc.

Hi ya

Just one tip - Make sure you try before you buy! There is a wealth of difference between different Banjo Ukes. A lot of Banjoeles are VERY HEAVY! The ones with big resonators (specially the metal surrounds) can also make them awkward to hold & play & even painful at times!

I have played a Goldtone BUC and a Rally Banjo Uke & found them both to be too heavy & uncomfortable for me (personally) to use! Some of the Soprano Banjo Ukes can even appear 'out of proportion' with the huge pot & short neck.

The more 'Bracket Hooks' on the uke (the bits holding the Vellum on ..... ) the heavier they are!! I have a Mainland Banjo Ukulele & am very happy with it - as much for the weight/size of it as the punchy sound it makes!

My Concert Mainland Banjo Uke has 8 Bracket Hooks (some have up to 20) and the whole uke sits very comfortably when playing, whether standing or sitting. Members of my Uke Group here are so impressed with mine that I currently have an order with Mike from Mainland for 5 Concert Banjo Ukes to be delivered to Australia & hopefully, they will be in the post as we speak!!

.....sell one for less than 300.... Mainland's Banjo Ukes are less than $300 (just!) and are brand new!! You could get a slight cosmetically blemished one (no affect on sound or playing) for about $250 - talk to Mike about it! He also does Soprano Banjo Ukes now.

Good luck with your hunt!!
cheers
Roberta

I can chime in a little bit here- my impression (though I am notable a May Bell freak) is that if you find one in good nick it is often less than a newer model, has much heavier hardware, much better tone ring (many of the newer ones have no tone ring to speak of), better tension ring (heavier), better heads (real skin is so much sweeter), better plating because they don't allow that stuff anymore, and really nice tuners.
That said I have a Morgan Monroe (same as Eddie Finn) that needs no fussing if the weather changes and while it is not as sweet as one of my old girls, it is passable on a hot summer day when I want to walk about-I really do love the thing and for under $200 bones, it falls into my reasonable price range. I would not use it to change a tire like I would one of my May Bells, but that was a different time. Also, I have to add that the only new one that really sends me, I cannot afford and have not played- Beansprouts look to be of the same build quality as the BU's I am used to (I have three May Bells). They look stout and heavy and sound great- like a BU ought to.

I have made a few posts on how to set them up, but perhaps I should consolidate things under that banner. I will happily tell you what I know about how to do them for you.

Did you do that? I was trying to search through your forum posts, but I'm not finding what I need. DH is thinking about getting me a banjo ukulele (probably a Lanakai LB6-S soprano), and I'll need to know about setting it up.

Thanks!

CountryMouse

Top Bottom