Anyone use Worth ukulele strings?

Hilo strings ???

I'm fairly new to ukulele and I have never changed the chords on mine.
My concert Fluke came with Hilo strings and I don't see many mentions of those types of strings...
I find them noisy for fingerpicking but that might just be my technique ?

Would my Fluke sound better with Worth chords?

People have their preferences as far as strings go. Hilo strings are made from Tynex which is supposed to more resistant to moisture. If you're happy with the tone, feel and playability of the Hilo's, continue to use 'em. You can always try other strings. Aquila, Worth, D'Addario are probably the most popular strings here on UU.

My concert Fluke came with Hilo strings and I don't see many mentions of those types of strings...
I find them noisy for fingerpicking but that might just be my technique ?

I found the Hilos that came with my Fluke to be noisy too, so I don't think it's just your playing. You might try changing them if it continues to bother you.

why are worth strings so expensive...the only place i saw them were in mgm's store and they were like 15 bucks. can someone point me in the right direction of where to get them cheaper

why are worth strings so expensive...the only place i saw them were in mgm's store and they were like 15 bucks. can someone point me in the right direction of where to get them cheaper
Don't forget, you're paying for a double set. Each string is approx 46 (sop/con) - 63 (ten) inches long and enough for two instruments.

I found the Hilos that came with my Fluke to be noisy too, so I don't think it's just your playing. You might try changing them if it continues to bother you.

Thanks ! I am glad to hear it's not just my playing :) I will have to try other strings then.

We've tested all the major ukulele strings on our ukuleles (we make Mya-Moe): nylgut, clear nylon, black nylon, and fluorocarbon. The Worth are great strings, especially for a low-G (or low-A, in the case of open D6 tuning) because you can get the low-G without using a wound string. The balance is really great across the strings.

I have them on my custom Pineapple Sunday.

It took a little getting used to as I was used to playing with Aquillas.

Now, I think they are the bee's knees.

And worths don't have a lot *if any* string noise- which is why I love em. I tried a bunch of other brands, but came back to the worths. They run a fair bit thinner than other brands, and thus can create new callouses on your callouses, but that's really the only fault I can find in them.

I use Worth Browns on my Kamaka soprano and they're my favorites for that uke. The set I got was long enough to string up a soprano and a concert, so I tried them on my Flea. Not as good on the Flea; a little too mellow. The D'Addarios from the UU store sound and feel better for that one. I liked the Aquilas on the Flea too.

15 bucks was worth the improvement I got from putting on Worth strings. I am completely honest. I hated whatever string were on it originally and almost did not want to play it. Once I put on the worths low g I fell in love with my uke.

I had Aquilas on my Pono tenor when I got it used, maybe that's why the PO sold it cheap, LOL! After a week of messing with it I thought this sux and put on Worth brown mediums and never regretted it, they make the uke sing. Clears would probably be nice too, I'll know in another month or so when I switch it over. Right now I have a baritone with Hilos that aren't terrific, just ok. I had a bari that had a little longer scale with Aquilas on it, it was okay. I'm going to try Worths next and then Savarez classical guitar strings on the bari eventually.

I have Ko'olau Golds on a soprano that mute it too much, the tension is too high. I don't like them.

Last edited:
I've got a KoAloha Tenor. I have Worth strings on mine. They're the poly filament kind. It's the same material fishermen use. When I first saw them on my uke, I thought of my fishing pole, haha.

Fishing and Ukulele, nothing can beat that I bet. I can't wait to do that one day.

I'm fairly new and just wondering, do some find it easier to play their 'uke with thicker or thinner strings? Thanks

I'm fairly new and just wondering, do some find it easier to play their 'uke with thicker or thinner strings? Thanks

Thicker gauge strings can be less painful on the fingertips than thinner ones. :)

OK...here's something juicy for this thread.

I've been doing a little work on my Les Rieftors uke.
The thing had a plastic saddle.
I made one out of bone and slappeded that sucka on.

This uke came to me with Hilo strings in high G tuning with a wound C.
I am not a fan of wound strings on my ukes.
So onward to the strang thang.

After I put the new saddle on I slapped on some strings that came with it, Aquilla low G with a wound C.
While low G sounds good and all I have just become accustomed to playing high G and prefer it.

Since the high G Worths on my custom Pineapple Sunday sound GREAT I wanted to try the Rieftors out with a set of those.

Tests:

Hilo:

With the Hilos that came with this uke (with the old plastic saddle) they didn't sound to bad. I just didn't like the wound string on there and the action was a touch to high.

Aquillas (and new bone saddle):

These were low G tuning with a wound C. They sounded good but I felt like there weren't enough crisp highs. Again, I prefer the high G tuning.

Worth CT's (new bone saddle):

These are by far the best as far as playability goes. They also add a new dynamic to this uke that the other strings have not displayed. The best way for me to describe the sound of Worth CT's is that they have razor sharp tones.
However, with this uke, it's wood and the body of it these strings do not pump out as much volume as the previous two did and it lacks the very nice lows that were evident in the Hilos and Aquillas.

Conclusion:

I am going to try some high G Aquillas on these...or maybe give a try to the Savarez strings.

For this particular uke it seems that the thicker diameter strings work best as far as full range tones and volume.

Worths definitely give some GREAT highs to this uke and I wouldnt string up my Pineapple Sunday with ANYTHING else! That uke and these strings make for an angelic sound that I wouldn't change but I am not sure they are right for Rieftors.

I am going to try them on my Makani (since they are set up with low G and I want to hear what a high G sounds like on that bad boy!).

In closing:

Worths are some great strings but they may not be right for every uke....a redundant statement I know.

It was interesting though. I have seen three totally different personalities with this uke by using three different sets of strings...and I don't mean small changes...totally different. This uke is an enigma!

Last edited:
thanks. does anyone have any experience/recommendations between the light or medium.

thanks. does anyone have any experience/recommendations between the light or medium.

It's just user preference. Do you like thin strings? Go with light. If not, go thicker.

Top Bottom