Binding bending problem

Barry Sholder

Reaction score
i got a copper pipe about 1" dia x 12"and clamped it in to a bench vise. I heated it up with a propane torch till the copper was changing colors. My wood was .045 x.25 maple I had soaked the wood for about an hour. I took the wood and basically rubbed it across the hot pipe like I was shining shoe. The wood kept breaking right in the middle of the tightest point. What was I doing wrong. This was a very minor bend maybe a 2"-3" radius. about the size of a tennis ball.

Maple is fairly easy to bend and a light spraying with water is all you should need. You could be using too much water. I have several sizes of pipe and would suggest matching the radius you are trying to bend with the correct size pipe. You'll be making contact over a larger area of wood that way. You don't need or want the pipe red hot. Just hot enough that water dances off the pipe when spritzed with water. If you are still having trouble you may want to try a wet rag laid over the pipe and bending on top of that.

You can but I've never found a need to do so, especially with maple which you can usually bend into a pretzel. I like to see what's going on. Get a bigger pipe (I use galvanized). Turn down your heat and back off on the water.

I'd say try a larger diameter pipe....1.5" or so. Also keep your hands near the pipe to support the wood while bending. I find holding it too far from the bend area can lead to cracks or kinks

Just so you know, proper bending temperature is around 250-300 degrees F. If the metal is starting to glow red, it is around 1300 degrees F. (in dim light)
From a former blacksmith and custom knife maker.

Brad

Success!! I regrouped just warmed the torch with the flame going inside the pipe, a little spritz of water and just like Chuck said bent easily. I did the the pipe a bit toooo hot due to experimenting and scirched the wood but the water sizzling on the pipe was the tip off. I'm excited now..... another technique under my belt.

Success!! I regrouped just warmed the torch with the flame going inside the pipe, a little spritz of water and just like Chuck said bent easily. I did the the pipe a bit toooo hot due to experimenting and scirched the wood but the water sizzling on the pipe was the tip off. I'm excited now..... another technique under my belt.

Congrats!!

Top Bottom