How hard do you have to press down on the fret board?

Noobulele

Reaction score
Hi all. Noob here. My Ukulele has a tremendous amount of buzzing. How hard do you have to press down on the frets? I'm starting to get hand cramps.

Or could it just be my crappy Mahalo U30? I changed the strings to Aquilas but I'm still getting buzzing. :mad:

sounds like your strings are a little too high off the fretboard. you should sand the saddle down a bit.

You only need to hold so hard as to ensure string makes contact with the fret. Common mistake for beginners is pressing too hard. If you are fretting correctly but instrument is buzzing it sounds like a problem with setup (common with Mahalos)

Follow these steps through one by one to eliminate issue http://www.gotaukulele.com/2010/09/buzzes-and-rattles-on-ukulele.html

I have been playing for a while and I have always been pressing a lot harder then I have to. It was only a couple of weeks ago I discovered what bazmaz is saying. There is a certain pressure needed for each individual Ukulele. Find yours and you'll save yourself a lot of trouble :)

A famous guitarist called ulli boegershausen said that the amount of pressure needed to fret a string is less than you may think. Find that amount of pressure and then get used to adding that much pressure. Of course if your action is to high you may want to take it to a shop to get it lowered.

Also, make sure when you are fretting the instrument that you are fretting it just behind the fret. Maybe not such a big deal on nylon instruments, but it's very noticeable on a steel-string.

Dan

How hard do you have to press down on the frets?

Hello Noobelele

A simple check - if your fingernail changes to white, you're pressing down way too hard.

Technique-wise, (a) make sure that your finger is perpendicular to the fretboard. Seen from the bridge, it's actually slightly less than 90 degrees, more like 80 degrees but not 45 degrees.

(b) your finger should be near the fretwire, not in the middle of two fretwires.

ON the other hand, check the set-up too. If you fret a note (any) and strum very lightly, do you hear buzz? Usually you don't. If you do, the action is waaaay too low and you need to get it adjusted. If you don't hear buzz but as you strum harder, you start hearing buzz? To some extend, it's normal. I personally prefer to get a little buzz as I strum hardest (I only pick with my fingers), and that's my *personal* setting. If you hear buzz as yu normally strum, then your action is too low. If you hear it when you fret, the likely culpit is the saddle being too low.

Where do you live (it would be a good idea to indicate in your profile) - someone can refer you to a decent store/luthier to look at your ukulele. A carefully set-up ukulele is fun to play and you will get better sound without unnecessary fatigue.

Happy Pickin
Chief

Hello Noobelele

A simple check - if your fingernail changes to white, you're pressing down way too hard.

Technique-wise, (a) make sure that your finger is perpendicular to the fretboard. Seen from the bridge, it's actually slightly less than 90 degrees, more like 80 degrees but not 45 degrees.

(b) your finger should be near the fretwire, not in the middle of two fretwires.

ON the other hand, check the set-up too. If you fret a note (any) and strum very lightly, do you hear buzz? Usually you don't. If you do, the action is waaaay too low and you need to get it adjusted. If you don't hear buzz but as you strum harder, you start hearing buzz? To some extend, it's normal. I personally prefer to get a little buzz as I strum hardest (I only pick with my fingers), and that's my *personal* setting. If you hear buzz as yu normally strum, then your action is too low. If you hear it when you fret, the likely culpit is the saddle being too low.

Where do you live (it would be a good idea to indicate in your profile) - someone can refer you to a decent store/luthier to look at your ukulele. A carefully set-up ukulele is fun to play and you will get better sound without unnecessary fatigue.

Happy Pickin
Chief

Thanks for the responses everyone.

Chiefnoda, I hear a lot of buzzing on the second and third strings when I press down with light to moderate pressure. I have to press down very hard (my fingernails are definitely turning white) in order to stop the buzzing.

I'm from Toronto, Canada. I'm not sure if any of the music stores do maintenance and repairs on Ukuleles. Most of them feature a small section of Ukuleles prominently by the door but it seems like they only sell them as is.

I'm from Toronto, Canada. I'm not sure if any of the music stores do maintenance and repairs on Ukuleles. Most of them feature a small section of Ukuleles prominently by the door but it seems like they only sell them as is.

Mechanically, ukulele is very similar to acoustic guitars so any competent guitar repairperson can look at your ukulele. The key is "competent". Avoid Guitar Center!

Although I've used them there is The 12 Fret Guitar in Toronto I believe

http://www.12fret.com/

They've been around for some years and they do acoustic guitars so it's worth checking out. Hey, they seem to sell ukuleles! Go and buy yourself a Collings.

Cheers
Chief

Top Bottom