Bad buzz on collings tenor

specialk13

Reaction score
Well, I have been lurking on this forum for awhile trying to figure out which ukulele I wanted to buy. I finally purchased a Colling UT1K and Couldn't be happier with its sound The only problem is that it has a pretty bad buzz on the C string, it's pretty loud and I have searched for a resolution and haven't come up with a fix. I'm hoping someone on this forum can help me figure this out.......

The buzz occurs when plucking the open "C" AND when I play in the first 5 frets. There's not much relief in the neck and the strings measure 3/32" at the twelfth fret. It seems like a saddle issue to me but I'm not sure.

Short of sending my ukulele back to Collings (which I will do as a last resort), does anyone have any ideas on how I could fix the buzz? I appreciate any help and look forward to spending a lot of time on this forum

Where did you buy it? Most good stores will stand behind a setup issue. Otherwise, it would probably be less expensive to have a local independent luthier fix it than pay the shipping to Collings. Or call Collings and see if they have a warranty luthier in your neighborhood.

I bought It in Georgia and would prefer to get it fixed locally although, I don't think we have any Collings dealers in Santa Barbara :(
I'm going to contact Collings directly and see what they say.

I had a buzz at my ko'olau before. I was going to send it to ko'olau but after I re-string it again and then the buzzing was gone. Mine was a minor buzz, you said the buzzing was loud so it might be serious, anyways good luck.

Unwind the C string and put it on again. I had the same problem with a lanikai, something about the string not having enough tension going through the nut and creating the buzz.

Thanks byjimini, I will give that a try once I get home tonight. I really hope I can diagnose this problem without having to send it back to Collings.

How do you string yours? I usually pull the string right through the tuning peg and then wind it up, cutting off the excess. This time tho I didn't, and apparently that's why it buzzed.

I had a luthier look at it whilst he dd some other bits for me, and that was his conclusion (and it certainly worked!). :)

Hi SpecialK13

When you loosen the string, you can try to insert a thick paper (business card) at the saddle where the C string touches. This is not a fix but is a test to see if the saddle if too low (only for the C string). If the buzz disappears or diminishes, you can have someone build a new saddle and you're good to go. You might want to talk to Collings first and see if they are willing to pick up the tab.

Also,sometimes, low humidity can cause the top to sink. You might want to give your ukulele nice humidity before getting a new saddle, although it's usually a winter problem.

Cheers
Chief

Thanks for the help, I checked the wrap on the C string at the tuner and it's tight, this uke also has the original Collings installed strings on it since it's brand new. I will try the paper technique and see what I find.

I live in Santa Barbara, CA and humidity is not a problem :cool:

Couldnt figure this one out so I ended up sending the uke back to Collings, they have excellent customer service and I know that they will take care of me. Thanks to all who supplied ideas!

Try some new strings too. half your and $7 might solve the problem. Not sure what folks use on Collings but Worth clears or South Coast Ukes strings are pretty nice.

I planned on trying some new strings but figured I would send it off to Collings since it's brand new. I am looking forward to trying the Worth strings though, I've heard good things about them on this forum.

Just wanted to put an update out there, it ended up being a fret issue after all. Collings has fixed it and turned it back around in 1 week! That's excellent service as far as I'm concerned :)

Last edited:
Wow that's good to know that Collings is so prompt.

Last edited:
My uke is on it's way back this week. I really can't say enough about the service fro Markcin particular over at the Collings shop. I'm very impressed!

Top Bottom