D minor chord with 2 fingers

Ride

Reaction score
Hi,

I have some problems with the D minor chord (2210).

First of all I have to say that it seems that I have little flexibility in the joints of the fingers, to the point that I'm not able to play a D minor chord with 2 fingers like almost everybody does (index finger fretting 2nd string 1st fret, middle finger fretting 4th and 3rd string 2nd fret). My finger doesn't "bends backward", it's very stiffy :eek:

Until now I used to use a fingering using 3 fingers: index for the 2nd string, middle for the 4th and ring finger for the 3rd (as if I'm playing an Am chord in a guitar). Using this fingering I'm still able to play an Dm7 chord (2213) using my little finger.

But my problem comes when trying to play a Dm chord without the A in the first string (open 1st string) and changing it to a higher pitched octave D (1st string 5th fret). With this fingering and my small hands I'm not able to reach the 5th fret without compromising the correct fingering of the other 3 strings :(

This fingering appears in several songs (arpeggios) so maybe it's the moment to try to learn the "good way". The same occurs with a D major chord (2220), I need 3 fingers to play it (as if I'm playing a A major chord in a guitar), otherwise I would play a D6... :rolleyes:

Does anybody knows a way to improve my finger flexibility? I suppose the answer I keep trying over and over, but I've been playing guitar for over 15 years, and I'm not able to play a B major chord with only 2 fingers).

Anyone knows some exercises to improve finger joints flexibility?

Mahalo!

Anyone knows some exercises to improve finger joints flexibility?

Hola Ride

Well, sadly we all have certain degrees of physical limitations and sometimes we have to resign to these.

Having said that, the next thing is you can try some exercises although you *must* do it slowly. Or you will end up hurting yourself. I also include some pointers:

(a) Make sure your ukulele is set up with very low action. Fretting is easier if the action is low. Also, in 2210(MMIX), your middle finger is less likely to mute the E string if the action is low. It is subtle but really helps.

(b) You need to bend your first joint on the middle finger backward. I have seen classical guitarists put the finger against the table top and push gently. Do it gently and slowly - you can really hurt yourself. Do not overdo it. You can do it three "pushes" a day and meybe in a year, you might get a bit more flexibility. I do not do this (and that maybe why I can't play well) but to me, the exercise is not worth it. In general, I hate exercises, practices, pains, etc.

(c) For 2215(MRIA), you have a trouble putting your pinky (A finger) on 5th fret. You can try the same chord shape higher up on the neck, for example 5 5 4 8 (MRIA) or 7 7 6 10. There is less stretch (assuming your action is low up the neck). If you want to practice 2210 - 2215 transition, use a capo during the practice.

(d) You might also be able to think of arranging the song to find an alternate fingering/pattern. It won't be the same but it might sound just as well. That's what I usually do. Find an easier way. Maybe you can do 7 5 5 X to 7 5 5 5 to play the melody in Dm chord?

Cheers
Chief

I'm not able to play a D minor chord with 2 fingers like almost everybody does

Wait... what?

I play my D minors with three fingers and thought everyone else did too. Hmmm...

JJ

Hi!

(a) Make sure your ukulele is set up with very low action. Fretting is easier if the action is low. Also, in 2210(MMIX), your middle finger is less likely to mute the E string if the action is low. It is subtle but really helps.
It's set up with low action, at least near the nut. Above 10th fret is quite high. Although, my middle finger mutes the second string :(

(b) You need to bend your first joint on the middle finger backward. I have seen classical guitarists put the finger against the table top and push gently. Do it gently and slowly - you can really hurt yourself. Do not overdo it. You can do it three "pushes" a day and meybe in a year, you might get a bit more flexibility. I do not do this (and that maybe why I can't play well) but to me, the exercise is not worth it. In general, I hate exercises, practices, pains, etc.
Maybe I can try this exercise. Thanks

(c) For 2215(MRIA), you have a trouble putting your pinky (A finger) on 5th fret. You can try the same chord shape higher up on the neck, for example 5 5 4 8 (MRIA) or 7 7 6 10. There is less stretch (assuming your action is low up the neck). If you want to practice 2210 - 2215 transition, use a capo during the practice.
The shape is not a problem. I can play 5548 easily using 4 fingers. The problem comes only in the first, second and maybe third fret, where the fret spacing is higher.

(d) You might also be able to think of arranging the song to find an alternate fingering/pattern. It won't be the same but it might sound just as well. That's what I usually do. Find an easier way. Maybe you can do 7 5 5 X to 7 5 5 5 to play the melody in Dm chord?
Probably the best way is rearranging it, I'll try.

It seems there are more three finger Dm than I thought hehehe. But if you watch videos of Aldrine or Jake to name a few, they play 2210 with only two fingers, which gives two free fingers (ring and pìnky) to fool around :p

Thanks!

Hi,

Of course I can play other Dm shapes, but in this song I'm working on, there's an arpeggio that goes:

2215 -> 2213 -> 2210 (ending of "wish on my star")

And there's only one place in a uke you can play the D in the 3rd string 2nd fret (in reentrant tuning), so there's no alternate fingering sounding equals. If I can't play this arpeggio, I should rearrange it sacrificing the sound due to my limitations, but the first option is play it as is.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Erm I play with three fingers too...as do my uke playing friends so don't understand the 'almost everybody else' comment. Works for me. There are no rules for chords!

It's three for me everytime

If you can make the stretch higher up the neck, maybe play a smaller uke?

I play Dm both ways, depending on what chord I just came from and what chord is coming next.

For the 2-finger version try moving your left hand thumb lower on the neck (towards the floor) to free up your fretting fingers. If the thumb is too high it will restrict the freedom of your fretting fingers and the first finger will touch the A string.

You can also try rotating your left hand wrist away from your body to make more room for your fingers.

Try practicing going from a good clear G7 (thumb behind the neck, wrist rotated away from your body almost or actually touching the headstock) to a 2 fingered Dm without changing your wrist position.

If you post a video of you playing a 2 fingered Dm it would be easier to spot the problem and offer more precise suggestions.

It would be interesting to find out if UU Member "Ride", who opened the thread in 2011 is still active and if he or she managed to get learn how to play the Dm chord well.
Haha! Good catch!

I totally missed that!

Top Bottom