RISA Uke-Solid vs Eleuke Peanut ?

atypical

Reaction score
I am thinking of buying an electric Uke for practicing in the night.

It would be nice to have an amplified uke to sing with a group of people. If the electric uke is small enough to carry with lots of camping gears, it would be wonderful!

I googled and found two good looking ukes. RISA Uke-Solid and Eleuke Peanut. Uke-Solid is more expensive and looks smaller. I found a good review. http://ukulelereview.com/2008/11/15/risa-uke-solid-ukulele-review/
It has three sizes (Concert size is a plus for me) and I read that Uke-Solid with geared tuners will come in the forum.

Eleuke Peanut is new in the market and it seems that there's no review yet.

Could someone compare these two?

If u have the money i would go with risa they make really good ukes i have a rise ukulele and i love it you are getting what you pay for!!

Risa Uke is $295. Peanut is $120. For a slab of wood with strings, I'm not sure how much better the Risa would be. It might be great, but for three Bens, I'd be going for something else. For one Ben and change, I'm sticking with the Peanut.

One major difference w/the Eleuke's is that they have a built-in mini-amp for an onboard headphone output & MP3 input; making it easy to jam along w/your favorite tunes.

Risa Uke is $295. Peanut is $120. For a slab of wood with strings, I'm not sure how much better the Risa would be. It might be great, but for three Bens, I'd be going for something else. For one Ben and change, I'm sticking with the Peanut.

You may be surprised. As simple as the Risa uke solids look, there is great attention to detail and innovative features that makes that humble block of wood a high class instrument.

I've had more than a handful of Eleukes and Risas in my collection. They come and go, and some stay.
The general trend is:

-Risa: Higher quality parts (more cost), Made in Germany (and its benefits, as opposed to mass produced in China), much better setup.
The sound is different to an Eleuke. Of course, the sound is heavily influenced by the amplifiers used and effects, etc. But on a raw level, the Risa has a more rounded, smoother-edged sound as opposed to Eleuke's very intense, high-powered, acute sound. The Risa has great tonal balance between the strings.

-Eleuke: Lower cost (Made in China), action comes a bit high, but can be given a setup after purchasing (or if you buy from Mim, I heard it comes with a good setup).
But other than that, it is GREAT value for money.
Not that there's anything wrong with being Made in China. Most ukes around the world come from China these days, and a lot of them are great.
But then again, it still isn't the same as one handcrafted in small batches in Germany, as the Risas are.

chindog is right in that the price jump from the Peanut to the Risa is massive. If you're just looking for a decent electric uke to plug and play, the Eleuke may be more appealing. Risa is more of a specialty electric ukulele market - for seasoned players who have delved deeper into the world of electric ukuleles and know exactly what they want.

Eleuke have done a fine job in marketing electric ukes towards a wider, popular audience - for just about anyone who would like to try an electric uke.

The other key difference is the electronics. Eleukes have an active system run by a 9v battery with tone and volume. The output is so powerful that if you have it on full volume, it might distort on some amps even on a clean setting. I find myself having to keep the volume knob at around 50%-75% to get a sound that isn't so overpowering. I also find the Eleuke a bit difficult to get the tonal balance right. The inbuilt pre-amp has a tendency to overpower the lower tones, but when you turn the treble up to compensate for it, you get a very brittle, harsh high sound. The main advantage of being active is that you can plug it into anything, and it will play. From amps to large PA systems. Everything you need is built into the Eleuke.

Personally, I find the headphone input a bit useless. When you want to play silently to yourself, the gentle acoustic sound that the strings make is far more pleasant to listen to, than the headphone sound. The mp3 input may or may not be useful for some people. I have never used it myself (and besides, most amplifiers have a mp3 input too).

The Risa doesn't have any batteries (it is passive), nor any control knobs. So the sound has to be shaped completely by the amplfier or sound system you're plugging into. Because it's a passive, it would require an external pre-amp or DI box if you want to plug it into a PA system. But it works perfectly fine plugged directly into a guitar amplifier. Also, it may have a slight hum with some amps or cables you use. And if you use a cable that is too long, you can lose a bit of signal, since there's no battery to boost the signal along.

At this point, you may have ended up more indecisive about which is the better choice.
I think the answer is, it depends on so many factors like the ones I've stated.
As I've already mentioned earlier, generally speaking, the Eleuke is the one to go for if you don't know much technical stuff and just want an electric uke that does what an electric uke does. The Risas are more of a specialty range of instruments for those who know exactly what they want.

I like both companies. I think the Eleuke is more the fun, multipurpose, with a touch of novelty type instrument.
The Risa is a more practical, no-nonsense, performance instrument.
But it can go either way (Eleukes can be practical and professional, and Risa can be fun and novel too LOL).

Last edited:
I read that Uke-Solid with geared tuners will come in the forum.

All Uke-Solids come with geared tuners now. They have already made the transition.
Find them at www.ukulele.de
I think that's the best place to buy Risa, since it's run by the owner of Risa.
Since you're buying from outside Europe, if you make an account with your country, you will get 19% off all the prices on the site since you are exempt from the European VAT tax.

EleUke peanut vs RISA solid

Simple comparision between EleUke peanut and RISA solid

Item
Head stock EleUke Peanut : Yes RISA solid : None

Electronics EleUke Peanut : Built in Amp RISA solid : None

Control EleUke Peanut : Vol&Tone control RISA solid : None

Output EleUke Peanut : H/P and 1/4” output RISA solid : 1/4” output

Input EleUke Peanut : MP3 input RISA solid : None

Price EleUke Peanut : $120 RISA solid : $295

RISA Solid has Shadow pickup and this is expensive than China made but,
Shadow electronics also making electronics from China in these days.

Last edited:
Simple comparision between EleUke peanut and RISA solid

Item
Head stock EleUke Peanut : Yes RISA solid : None

Electronics EleUke Peanut : Built in Amp RISA solid : None

Control EleUke Peanut : Vol&Tone control RISA solid : None

Output EleUke Peanut : H/P and 1/4” output RISA solid : 1/4” output

Input EleUke Peanut : MP3 input RISA solid : None

Price EleUke Peanut : $120 RISA solid : $295

RISA Solid has Shadow pickup and this is expensive than China made but,
Shadow electronics also making electronics from China in these days.

So, Philip, did you mean to take the Risa Solid head on when you designed it? in all fairness PhilipKwak is the designer of Eleukes (More a mad scientist), meaning that he knows the product better than anyone.
I own a soprano Risa solid and have played the prototype Peanut. I liked the peanut a lot since it had two things that the Risa does not. Volume and Tone. the tuning pegs are not a big deal to me. Still both can not be played easily with out a strap.

Rigk Sauer of RISA is a fine fella to do business with. I have bought ukes and things from Ukulele.de and it's always been a good experience.

At the end of the day, it'll probably come down to which you like the look, sound and feel of best.

One day Litta asked me to design easy portable solidbody EleUke so I did.
Normally, I sketch body shape with mm scale paper first and show it to the factory.
It didn't take such a long time.

Anyway, I just wanted to let other people just compare and I never played RISA solid before
so, just simple comparison and I welcome if there's any different opinion about RISA solid.
I designed peanut with two reason first, It looks like peanut and second, I wanted to sell
peanut at peanut's price not like such an expensive instruments.

Thanks

Thanks for the clarification Philip!

Hey, your 'Peanut' fills an economic niche for many of us UUers.

thanks for designing and manufacturing the Peanut.

Have you decided to move forward with the acoustic Peanut?

Keep uke'in',

Thanks for the clarification Philip!

Hey, your 'Peanut' fills an economic niche for many of us UUers.

thanks for designing and manufacturing the Peanut.

Have you decided to move forward with the acoustic Peanut?

Keep uke'in',

We did make acoustic peanut some samples but, I didn't satisfied with it's sound.
So, I need to improve it's sound if there's some demand.

Thanks
Philip

One day Litta asked me to design easy portable solidbody EleUke so I did.
Normally, I sketch body shape with mm scale paper first and show it to the factory.
It didn't take such a long time.

Anyway, I just wanted to let other people just compare and I never played RISA solid before
so, just simple comparison and I welcome if there's any different opinion about RISA solid.
I designed peanut with two reason first, It looks like peanut and second, I wanted to sell
peanut at peanut's price not like such an expensive instruments.

Thanks

Mr. Kwak.
Your sentiment to design an instrument at "a peanuts price" is commendable.
I find myself in possession of two of your designs and I love them.
Thank you for designing them and having them made.
You've brought music into many lives with your instruments.

Tor-Arne

decision nightmare

I love that Mr Kwak, has posted. A talented man.

I have seen and been able to play the Risa Solid, and the rounded solid body one (??? Uke'Ellie Soprano sunburst)
In the Uk they are priced at 160-200, and about 200.

I need a silent Uke, I also need it to fit in my little suitcase by antler (48cm tall). So trying to find one to fit the Job.

The Risa is more money, but less size. The EleUke peanut half the price of the risa solid. But how heavy is it to play? Its also is 51 cm tall, campared to the risa solid of 34cm.

I love the options on the EleUke, but size is an issue.

Are there any other options out there? Without my bodging any attempt to make my own?
Thanks for replies, I've found the info so far useful.

Risa is better made...
...but I ended up getting the Peanut simply because I didn't want to pay a lot of $$$ for something to mess-around-with.
BTW I had Mim put on a Low G (something that usually sounds terrible on acoustic Sopranos) and it works very well. Since acoustics have little-to-no influence on the sound, plugged-in you'd think it was a Tenor.

I love that Mr Kwak, has posted. A talented man.

I have seen and been able to play the Risa Solid, and the rounded solid body one (??? Uke'Ellie Soprano sunburst)
In the Uk they are priced at 160-200, and about 200.

I need a silent Uke, I also need it to fit in my little suitcase by antler (48cm tall). So trying to find one to fit the Job.

The Risa is more money, but less size. The EleUke peanut half the price of the risa solid. But how heavy is it to play? Its also is 51 cm tall, campared to the risa solid of 34cm.

I love the options on the EleUke, but size is an issue.

Are there any other options out there? Without my bodging any attempt to make my own?
Thanks for replies, I've found the info so far useful.

The sun is setting here, so sorry for the poor lighting in the pictures.

Including the strap button at the end, the Risa is slightly less than 48 cm while the Peanut is about 53 cm long. Using a baby scale, the Peanut weighs 1lb 3.5oz and the Risa weighs 1lb 0.5oz. The scale/nut-to-bridge measurement is a little longer on the Risa than the Peanut. The Risa has 14 frets total, the Peanut has 13 frets total. For what it's worth, I have a weekender bag that I bring as my carry on for flights. The Risa just barely fits, but I can get it in and zip it up just fine. The Peanut is ever so slightly too big to fit in my bag. YMMV.

In their cases:
P1050041.JPG

P1050043.JPG

Last edited:
If u have the money i would go with risa they make really good ukes i have a rise ukulele and i love it you are getting what you pay for!!

I'm with Lindy Lew and several others. I have never played a Peanut, so I am not comparing them...just making a couple points.

I have a RISA soprano that is portable and fun and so well made. I love it! The RISA vs. Peanut thread comes up about every six months or so on UU, and always comes down to RISA, if one can afford it. Peanut is an inexpensive but not as good uke. Old threads abound.

The RISA has 14 playable frets. The Peanut has 13. (see photo in recent post to this thread below). Not a huge deal, unless you need the fret in a particular song.

I completely agree with what someone below wrote about portability. I can put the RISA in my messenger bag and carry it onto a plane or the library or anything. I love it's short length!

***Always remember, resale on a RISA is strong ...many sell here on UU very quickly for $200-220 used. Never below $200. Peanuts, like all inexpensive ukes, are so low priced, why would someone buy used and pay shipping when they can buy warrantied and new with free shipping from many retailers?

http://pua2.net/

PuaPua Ukulele sells RISAs and has a couple on their shop wall now...a soprano and a concert, I think. Here they are on PuaPua's video on the wall from May 8 (few days ago).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4hpjuSzmoU

Cheers.

Last edited:
I've owned 5 Eleukes and 6 Risa electric ukes.

Overall, I like the Risa's more in terms of sheer instrument quality. But they are pricier for that reason too.

The Eleukes are terrific in value and function.
While I really like how the Risa's passive pickup sounds, there are certain times when the active electronic capabilities of the Eleuke come in handy.

Top Bottom