Song Help Request Appalachian Tabs and Chords

@Lalou I just did "Old Joe Clark" from mandolin to ukulele. Mandolin is GDAE so the only problem is what to do with notes on the D string. Usually I just play around until I find the right note. I will try to scan up some stuff when I get a chance.

Win!
Thanks for the info! :)

Very nice, thanks! I'm loving this :)

Awesome!! Thanks! :)
I like how most of the notes are on the 1st and 2nd string hehe :)

Thanks!!
I passed by Occupy Newcastle today and happened to have my ukulele with me (had left it at the office and was worried about leaving it there too long as the building isn't heated during the week-end), so I sat down and starting jamming with some people to attract more by-passers. Then a banjo player from New England came along, and we played lots of the mountain songs we've been discussing in this thread! YAY! First time I'm playing with a real-life banjo player who isn't a youtube video lol. It went really well if I may say so myself. Thanks guys! :)
Can't say that playing outdoors was the best way to cure my current cold, but it was totally worth it. And lots of people gathered around and started discussing world-economics too. WIN!

Very cool, Lalou.... playing with others is always the best way to learn and really enjoy it. I do a weekly thing in my basement with a couple of friends.... there were two of us last night - the other guy is a jazz pianist who is an amazing guitarist, as well..... he's been working on his fiddle playing, as well....we mostly play traditional country, bluegrass, pretty much any kind of old American folk music is fair game (you can see the two of us trying to cover a Louvin Brothers tune here).....We've talked about trying to get a set of tunes together and hitting an open mic, but it hasn't happened yet.....

Playing with others is indeed the best! I sometimes go play at my local pub where there's ukulele sessions every Thursday. Great fun! They're very open to having people bring songs of their choice, but so far I've been too shy and feeling too noobie to take the mic and propose what I've been playing at home (which currently consists for the most part of american mountain songs and... swedish indie pop hehe). I'll should really give it a try one of these days. The world needs more Cuckoo Bird songs and murder ballads! :)

Great videos you guys, thanks! :)

Enjoyed this entire thread!

Thanks artoode2!! (Oh, I just realised your username pronounces R2D2 haha! Awesome :D)

I hadn't heard Pig in a Pen before, great song! In the Pines is one of my favourites. I have a slightly different version for it that goes Em Am G, B7 Em, and so on. Both versions sound good in their own ways I think.

Keep 'em coming! :)

Hibiscus: glad you're enjoying the thread!

Pig in a Pen is a Bill Monroe tune. Also has been performed by Old and in the Way. Pretty simple tune with good breaks for a little improv. I am working on Roll in my Sweet babies arms so I will share it soon.

Top Bottom