Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LAG ukuleles from France

Default LAG ukuleles from France

Does anyone here own a LAG brand ukulele? I recently bought a guitar of the same brand and am very pleased with what I have. I saw they have a solid koa tenor ukulele.
    http://www.lagguitars.com.au/2010/pr...les/u700t.html

I havent really found a place that sells their ukes in the US yet, but im really curious to how they sound and play.

Thanks in advance!

I don't own one, but I did a check on a French ukulele forum and mostly what was said is that is was a good ukulele, though the finishing not as good as on their guitars.

They come with Aquila strings which was a problem for some who tried it. Also it was pointed out that the frets were larger than on most ukuleles. They appear to be thinner than most ukuleles. Apparently they are hard to come by.

The person who bought it was really satisfied with it and said it sounded loud.

Here you can see a video of a representant from Lag presenting the "baby u" and here you can check out a video of a French guy playing a Lg tenor.

Hope this helps a bit.

Own a Lag guitar and I love it. Tried a Lag uke and hated it. They're built like guitars, as in tops are too thick and they're stupidly overbraced so don't really make noise.
    Quote Originally Posted by beenfive View Post
    Tape a playboy centerfold on one end of the aquarium and a playgirl centerfold on the other side and she which end of the tank "it" favors....... that is of course that we can assume that your gobie is not gay.

One of our distributor reps stopped by last week with a couple of Lag ukes...a concert and soprano. As I'm the only uke player at work, I was asked to check them out and see if we should carry the line. I was pretty underwhelmed. Thick top, sounded muffled. The rep tried telling me it was due to the strings. They were strung with Aquilas so I'm pretty positive he has no idea what he was talking about. They looked pretty nice though and came in a decent gig bag. I decided to pass on them.
    Custom Ukes:
    Tenors: Moore Bettah, Luis Feu de Mesquita, Monkey Wrench Steel-String Solid-Body

Production Ukes:
    Sopranos: Surf Flea, Makala Dolphin
    Concerts: Martin C1K, Waverly Street Banjolele

This is weird timing...I'm currently staying at my parents' place in Hobart. I was walking through the music stores yesterday and for some reason, the LAG ukes are everywhere....I mean, in EVERY instrument shop. I tried out a number of them and just have to agree with Nixon and Chris. The tops are thick and the tone felt a little strangled to me. All had gloss finishes. Didn't like them at all.

Interesting to read everyone's impressions. I have a black concert Lag that sounds pretty darned good. In fact, I was rather impressed with it. Did I just happen to get a good one? I really don't know but I don't plan to get rid of mine anytime soon. There are many other ukes I have that I would sell before this one. Just my thoughts.

Allen
    . . . and justice for all.

Thanks for the impressions. Im curious to know which ones you were sampling. They seem to have a range from $200-$600 and if it was only the lower end models that were like that. I would guess that the bracing and thickness are design things so the same problems would be for all models and it wouldnt make any difference.

Does anyone know any place in the US that sells them? Visually they look pretty stunning so I'd want to check them out in person.

I have a lag u77c. Its not bad for a 200 buck Uke. One thing that annoys me is that every store listing claims it has a tribal inlay. It is most certainly not an inlay, it is painted on. I will upload a sound sample if you want
    Last edited by acbot; 09-08-2011 at 02:25 AM. Reason: fixed model number

Here we go - excuse the shoddy playing

http://soundcloud.com/acbot/lag-test

Quote Originally Posted by papplehead View Post
    Thanks for the impressions. Im curious to know which ones you were sampling. They seem to have a range from $200-$600 and if it was only the lower end models that were like that. I would guess that the bracing and thickness are design things so the same problems would be for all models and it wouldnt make any difference.

Does anyone know any place in the US that sells them? Visually they look pretty stunning so I'd want to check them out in person.
    The two models the rep brought in were the U77S and U77C which is their bottom of the line. Maybe the others sound better?
    Custom Ukes:
    Tenors: Moore Bettah, Luis Feu de Mesquita, Monkey Wrench Steel-String Solid-Body

Production Ukes:
    Sopranos: Surf Flea, Makala Dolphin
    Concerts: Martin C1K, Waverly Street Banjolele

Thread Information