Baritone player from SF Bay Area.

jackwhale

Reaction score
I live in Northern California (SF Bay Area)...originally from Michigan but moved to California in 1970. I had Martin baritone in college and really liked it. I switched to guitar after the folk scene took off in the mid-60s, and I don't know what happened to that baritone.

On my birthday in February I impulsively purchased a mahogany Pono from Gryphon Strings in Palo Alto. Since then the impulse has continued and I've added a few more baritones. I play around at writing songs (usually corny love songs) and sometimes perform them at the West Coast Songwriters open mike at the Freight and Salvage Coffee House in Berkeley.

I also started ukulele lessons with Steven Strauss, a fine musician and teacher. He can be seen on YouTube. I'd like to learn old swing music.

Martin mahogany baritone, Graziano spruce/koa baritone, Pono mahogany baritone with MiSi pickup + Genz Benz Shenandoah acoustic amp, Eleuke baritone.

Welcome to Ukulele Underground and good luck with your baritone!

On Knowing Jack

Jack has somehow been able to overcome my weaknesses as a teacher and developing a knack for spontaneous expression on the fretboard. Though he'll always be a baritone man, he's been playing a Low G variant of standard tuning more of late, on majestic axes I'd be scared to press down on for fear of popping a sinew.

Throughout my life there's been someone a generation ahead who can kick my ass and now it's down to Jack.

Sweet, man! Welcome to UU! I'm a newly made baritone player myself... got my first decent one on order right now. Where are you from in MI originally? I'm in Kalamazoo.

An old Martin is my dream instrument :drool:

Welcome to the forum!

Being a guitar player I also am attracted to the Baritone! I have some Brazilian Rosewood in a Baritone size and can't wait to make it into an instrument!.
Good luck with your new passion!

Top Bottom