Yamaha C40 thoughts?

PoiDog

Reaction score
Hey guys -

A friend of mine is offering me a very lightly used Yamaha C40 classical guitar for about $50. It turns out he doesn't have the music bug. I was thinking about picking this up to satisfy my six-string curiosity, but wondered if you had any warnings about it.

Mahalo in advance

Hi!

I suppose all the usual caveats apply (you get what you pay for, etc.) but it's a perfectly suitable kick-around guitar. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/C40?gclid=CKi3zricrKsCFQjCKgoduX4C4A

I have a $50 Stagg nylon-string that takes up residence in various places (church, my trunk, etc.) when I don't want to bring my Carrington with. It's basically indestructible, and miraculously in-tune every time I pick it up.

Always,

-jlk

The C40? Great guitar! I just picked up one recently new. I actually prefer it to the CG 111S and CG 111C...models which Yamaha revisted and redesigned.

Check out this vid:

http://youtu.be/61EoUEmkqYU

Check out the Delcamp classical forum. Folks with some high end guitars still love their C40's...and not just for sentimental reasons.

My reply is really late, however, my feedback on Yamaha C40 could be helpful for others.
I own one, given to me by a friend. I set it up for lower action and it plays really smooth.
Sound: OK to practice and perform in a small room, good for its price range (140$ brand new)
[ of course, can't compare with the sound of a few 5000$ guitar I have tried ]
Quality: 10 years old when I got it, and 7 years later still play really good. The neck stay straight.
I installed a preamp with under-the-saddle pickup and, holy sweet, it sounds really sweet thru my home sound system and the church sound system (where I play every week, previously with an acoustic/electric steel string guitar).
The only reason I would go for another classical guitar is to get a curway model so I can play higher frets easily.

Top Bottom