Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1826272829 LastLast

Thread: Battery powered ukulele amplification...

Vista (North County San Diego), California

That's interesting, Jimmy. A single AA battery powers that condenser microphone all day. I'll check and see if those are sold locally. Ric

I have been using this Nady Audio MM14FX battery powered mixer for over a year, now. It runs on one 9 volt battery and can also use a standard effects 110VAC wall wart. With four high impedance inputs and one high impedance output it works well with battery powered PA speakers. I bought 4 quality high impedance microphones at Fry's to use with it and my small Samson Expedition Escape powered speaker. Using a small amount of the mixer's built in echo effect and sharing each microphone for two musician's vocals and instruments we have successfully performed at local farmers markets and street fairs on all battery power. This is important, since many of these type venues charge $100 bucks+ to plug into their power which is sometimes several hundred feet away from tour location and shared by multiple vendors always tripping the circuit breakers.

This new concept is a game changer in battery technology, where you can refill the batteries acid for a full charge in seconds or minutes:

HTML Code:
    https://www.purdue.edu/newsroom/releases/2017/Q2/instantly-rechargeable-battery-could-change-the-future-of-electric-and-hybrid-automobiles.html

My latest battery powered PA system uses a Bose S1 Pro and a Behringer Xenix 1002B 9 channel battery powered mixer. I get about 6 hours on a charge at loud volume on the S1 Pro and about 3 hours on 1the Xenix 1002B on a set of 3 9V NiMH rechargeable batteries, so I carry extra batteries for the mixer for longer sets. The S1 Pro has a built in 3 channel mixer for solo or small 2 piece combo bands. Sound quality is superb and a second S1 Pro can be daisy chained from the first for more coverage. A bass guitar can also play through the S1 Pro.

It's good to hear your positive review of the S1. I plan to get one, and then decide if I keep my L1 Compact or sell it to buy a second S1.

How does the bass sound through it? I'd also be using the S1 with a piano/keyboard.
    KoAloha tenor (Baggs 5.0) Godin MultiUke KoAloha Opio concert (Baggs 5.0) Islander laminate tenor (Pono passive) Kala Longneck Soprano laminate 12 Makala Dolphins/Sharks 1 Mahalo soprano Partridge in a Pear Tree

Here's Melody Guy and Mark Chippeur playing and singing through a Bose S1:

https://www.facebook.com/melody.guy....5587270308175/

Quote Originally Posted by ricdoug View Post
    My latest battery powered PA system uses a Bose S1 Pro and a Behringer Xenix 1002B 9 channel battery powered mixer. I get about 6 hours on a charge at loud volume on the S1 Pro and about 3 hours on 1the Xenix 1002B on a set of 3 9V NiMH rechargeable batteries, so I carry extra batteries for the mixer for longer sets. The S1 Pro has a built in 3 channel mixer for solo or small 2 piece combo bands. Sound quality is superb and a second S1 Pro can be daisy chained from the first for more coverage. A bass guitar can also play through the S1 Pro....
    Hi Ric,

Thanks for the update.

I wonder if you can power that mixer using a car or motorcycle battery (which would have longer runtime in Watt-Hours) than a set of 9v batts, and using a cigarette lighter 12v-to-9v adapter plug? (which would go into where you plug in the normal 110v AC to 9v DC wall adapter on the mixer with the round barrel plug)

Not sure on the amp limit of these things, but if that mixer is able to be powered by 9v batts for a while, the amp load is likely to be low enough that a garden-variety 12v-to-9v adapter plug that has a 7805 regulator chip and heatsink, aka a 'buck convertor' should be able to give you a lot longer runtime than swapping out some 9v cells.

Of course an SLA 12v battery is going to cost you in weight, but maybe it's worth exploring?

You'd also need a charger for the 12v batt at home. Not sure if you explored this in the past, so sorry if I am asking a question that you've already answered.

There are also lithium ion battery packs that can do 12v, like for power tools, that have both a high amp limit as well as high watt-hours, that might be able to be adapted with that same 12v-to-9v cable and some alligator clips (or some other attachment method to the battery pack), and you usually get 2 batt packs in the nicer kits as well as a charger...

just thinking out loud here...
    Please click here ->Just the FAQs<- to be taken to the FAQ index so you can learn about:
    - Magic Fluke Company ukes
    - Pickups, Preamps and Impedance Mismatch
    - Home Recording and Mics
    - String Upgrades
    - iPad Microphones
    - Wolfelele Uke Kit
    - How to string a Baritone uke as a piccolo bass
    - Strings I used for GDAE and CGDA fifths tunings

The wall wart for the Xenix 1002B mixer has 2 outputs - 16VAC and 3VAC, Booli. A 12VDC battery could be used with a sinewave inverter, but that would add to weight and trips to the car. I have plenty of NiMH rechargeable batteries to keep the show going. Spare Lithium Ion batteries can be charged inside the bottom compartment of the Bose S1, too. I like the sound, portability, size and weight of this system. Setup and teardown time are greatly reduced. Ric

Good for you Ric if that system works for you.

I don't want to be rude but I just want to say for the thread that this system is complete overkill for general busking and only applicable if noise restrictions aren't in place where you are and your free to perform for a reasonably sized audience. Better for a group but a group will need a decent space to perform in.

If noise restrictions are in place then a Roland AC-33 is more than loud enough to get you into trouble all on its own. Currently I'm plugging an ISK CM-60 battery powered condenser microphone into my AC-33 as a 1 microphone solution for voice ,ukulele and foot-tap. It works surprisingly well.

I may replace the AC-33 at some point with a Behringer MPA40BT to get an 8" speaker instead of the 2 small speakers in the AC-33. The power of the MPA40BT will be complete overkill but it will be just about getting a clearer sound from the bigger speaker.

You really don't need to be that loud to busk and being too loud is a hinderance rather than a benefit.
    Last edited by anthonyg; 04-14-2018 at 05:41 PM.

Thread Information