Newbie here! I have a few questions C:

VanillaTea

Reaction score
Hello! I'm going to start playing ukulele next month. I'm getting one for my birthday actually. I was wondering, is the Lanikai LU-21C a good model? I've heard good and bad things about it so I'm not sure. Also, I was inspired to play Uke by one of my favorite musicians so I wanted to personalize my ukulele and put two short quotes on the side. Something like....
UKULELEDISIGN.jpg

I was wondering, would sharpie work? And what clear coat should I put on after? Also, I am sue I won't regret putting that on. I REALLY want to. Would it damage the sound too much though? Thank you!

I think the Lanikai is a good uke to start with. The marker and clear coat should not affect the sound.

Another option may be to just try the sharpie without a clear coat first.

Jake Shimabukuro signed my Lanikai LU21 in one of those silver sharpies that I brought with me to a concert in Philly. I haven't played that uke since he signed it, but I wonder if it would hold up to playing without a clear coat.

BTW, the LU21 is the soprano version of the uke you are interested in. I really liked (still do, but don't play it anymore) that Lanikai uke, and think the LU21C is definitely a good first uke. Happy Birthday, good luck and enjoy!

I heard that sharpie eventually fades/scratches away after playing and I wouldn't want to go and re-write it haha.
I'm probably going to get a tenor ^U^
Thank!
Also, I'm probably going to use clear nail polish since I have like two bottles of it at home XD

I'm probably going to use clear nail polish since I have like two bottles of it at home XD

Hi

Before you do, just make sure the clear coat wouldn't smear the Sharpie. My guess is it might because Sharpie is water-resistant (so it dissolves easily in non-polar solvent) and nail polish uses acetone which can act as a non-polar (it is half way between polar and non-polar). Test it on a laquered surface elsewhere

Happy Pickin

Chief

Top Bottom